U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2020, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
12,127 posts, read 27,922,289 times
Reputation: 4892

Advertisements

Many states have closed schools but not daycares. Young children tend to get sick easier and spread germs. They are trying to "flatten the curve" so you would think daycares would be included in the closing. I know many people may not be able to do this but if it's an option, are you taking your child out of daycare for now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2020, 10:04 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,035,234 times
Reputation: 6078
TLDR; No. We should keep kids away from at-risk people, not other children.

We are lucky enough to have a SAHP, so it's not an issue for us.

I would not keep my kids out of daycare if it caused undue hardship. Instead, we would and are keeping our children away from at-risk groups like those over 50, and the adult public in general.

No one under 9 has died from COVID-19, and an infintesimally small % of the pediatric population who contract the disease need hospitalization, so they are no strain on resources. It's actaully LESS dangerous than influenza for children. So--if you can keep them away from at-risk populations--there's no compelling reason to avoid groups of children. In fact, it might be better, overall, for children to contract and develop natural immunity to COVID-19 sooner, rather than later. The faster we exclude them as a source of infection, the better.

In an ideal world, of course, we'd all stay quarantined indoors for 2 months, or until a vaccine was available. Or--better yet--any who is at risk would be quarantined until the virus had burned its way through the younger, healthier, population and was no longer a pandemic.

However, the economic reality is that older and at-risk people still need paychecks. So they have to go to work and expose themselves. The best we can do is to separate the at-risk and not-at-risk populations from each other as much as possible. That means keeping kids away from at-risk adults, but not from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
5,997 posts, read 6,983,671 times
Reputation: 7251
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Many states have closed schools but not daycares. Young children tend to get sick easier and spread germs. They are trying to "flatten the curve" so you would think daycares would be included in the closing. I know many people may not be able to do this but if it's an option, are you taking your child out of daycare for now?

I just received a text that Pennsylvania or a minimum of certain counties around Philly and Pittsburgh will be closing down daycare centers for two weeks. Looks like I will be the replacement daycare service for my two granddaughters.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 03-16-2020 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM
 
Location: North Texas
1,162 posts, read 299,811 times
Reputation: 2169
Yes absolutely. The issue isn't about the kids getting sick. They'll be fine. It's that they can pass it on to an older people who will get sick. So yes if they are closing schools, they should close daycare too. Just shut the whole country down. Please.

I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have to deal with that issue thankfully.

Parents please just ask if you can work from home. I don't work so that's not my problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 10:49 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,035,234 times
Reputation: 6078
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I just received a text that Pennsylvania or a minimum of certain counties around Philly and Pittsburgh will be closing down daycare centers for two weeks. Looks like I will be the replacement daycare service for my two granddaughters.
I'm sorry that you are being exposed. This is exactly the scenario I was talking about. You should be allowed to self-isolate, not forced to interact with disease vectors out of economic necessity. Of course, in the TRILLIONS of dollars that the government is giving away to the 1% of bankers and CEO's, there's not a single red cent for working parents who need to stay home to take care of their out-of-school kids.

We live thousands of miles away from the grandparents and they are skyping with the kids as part of their replacement "homeschool" lesson plan every day. They were planning to come visit, but--seeing the writing on the wall--I told them to stay home, and I'm very glad I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 10:53 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,035,234 times
Reputation: 6078
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Yes absolutely. The issue isn't about the kids getting sick. They'll be fine. It's that they can pass it on to an older people who will get sick. So yes if they are closing schools, they should close daycare too. Just shut the whole country down. Please.

I'm a stay at home mom so I don't have to deal with that issue thankfully.

Parents please just ask if you can work from home. I don't work so that's not my problem.
The same parents that can't telecommute are the ones who can't afford to take time off to watch their kids. Food service workers, sanitation, receptionists, etc. etc.

I agree. Shut the whole country down or shut nothing down. This knee-jerk reaction of picking the low-hanging fruit (schools, bars, resturants), is just selectively screwing people and doing nothing to slow down the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
5,997 posts, read 6,983,671 times
Reputation: 7251
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'm sorry that you are being exposed. This is exactly the scenario I was talking about. You should be allowed to self-isolate, not forced to interact with disease vectors out of economic necessity. Of course, in the TRILLIONS of dollars that the government is giving away to the 1% of bankers and CEO's, there's not a single red cent for working parents who need to stay home to take care of their out-of-school kids.

We live thousands of miles away from the grandparents and they are skyping with the kids as part of their replacement "homeschool" lesson plan every day. They were planning to come visit, but--seeing the writing on the wall--I told them to stay home, and I'm very glad I did.

My son and daughter-in-law are healthcare workers who will be directly involved in treating COVID-19 patients. In fact, all of the children in their daycare center have have at least one parent who works in healthcare. Many people are going to have trouble finding alternative daycare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
12,127 posts, read 27,922,289 times
Reputation: 4892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
The same parents that can't telecommute are the ones who can't afford to take time off to watch their kids. Food service workers, sanitation, receptionists, etc. etc.

I agree. Shut the whole country down or shut nothing down. This knee-jerk reaction of picking the low-hanging fruit (schools, bars, resturants), is just selectively screwing people and doing nothing to slow down the pandemic.
^^^ I agree, we all need to be on the same page and at the same time to decrease the spread of the virus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 11:44 AM
 
1,705 posts, read 1,035,234 times
Reputation: 6078
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My son and daughter-in-law are healthcare workers who will be directly involved in treating COVID-19 patients. In fact, all of the children in their daycare center have have at least one parent who works in healthcare. Many people are going to have trouble finding alternative daycare.
Thank you for taking care of our 1st/2nd responders' families, then. With no sarcasm->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2020, 12:00 PM
 
7,799 posts, read 3,758,747 times
Reputation: 20485
Last I checked 'all humans' are suspectable to this virus. Children are not immune to this nor are 'all' children resilient to beat this virus. It's rather ignorant to subject them to other carriers. I do not consider it an exception to allow daycares to stay open. No way I want my grand kids to be open targets to receiving it.
My boss has two kids, we are already setting up nanny to privately attend to them. So he can do his job. The less contact with others during this time...the better.

The 'undue hardship' would be visiting your kid on a ventilator. Think about that next time before engaging a flippant statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top