U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 07:07 PM

116 posts, read 42,127 times

Advertisements

Not sure if it's just as prevalent now, but when I was growing up most kids were told if they swallowed gum it would take 7 years to digest, as parents I am curious if you can explain why they say that given how completely inaccurate it is, as it passes just like everything else the next time you use the restroom, were parents really worried that swallowing gum could harm you or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,236,385 times
Like a lot of things. Old wives tale.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:48 PM

84,665 posts, read 77,832,245 times
I've never heard that. Most parents when I was a kid told their kids it was nothing to worry about, if they swallowed gum.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:05 AM

2,048 posts, read 384,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Not sure if it's just as prevalent now, but when I was growing up most kids were told if they swallowed gum it would take 7 years to digest, as parents I am curious if you can explain why they say that given how completely inaccurate it is, as it passes just like everything else the next time you use the restroom, were parents really worried that swallowing gum could harm you or something?
Yes they were.

A piece of gum, shouldn't hurt you. But don't make it a habit.

Quote:
Although chewing gum is designed to be chewed and not swallowed, it generally isn't harmful if swallowed. Folklore suggests that swallowed gum sits in your stomach for seven years before it can be digested. But this isn't true. If you swallow gum, it's true that your body can't digest it. But the gum doesn't stay in your stomach. It moves relatively intact through your digestive system and is excreted in your stool.

On very rare occasions, large amounts of swallowed gum combined with constipation have blocked intestines in children. It's for this reason that frequent swallowing of chewing gum should be discouraged, especially in children
https://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive...s/faq-20058446

Old 03-17-2020, 09:52 AM

1,486 posts, read 466,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
You surely do come up with some odd questions.

Put it this way--when I was a child, we children were often told by adults that swallowing watermelon seeds would cause a watermelon vine to grow in our stomachs. They also told us that if we were pulling an ugly or silly face that it would likely freeze that way.

What you were told about swallowing chewing gum falls into that very same category. No parent that I knew of (and most parents in my world were pretty darn pragmatic and practical-minded), was fearful that swallowing gum was particularly harmful in any way.

Most parents' biggest worry with chewing gum was trying to get it out of a kid's hair after he or she fell asleep with a wad of gum in his or her mouth or if they were sticking their ABC gum underneath the dining room table.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:02 AM

438 posts, read 212,180 times
My parents never said anything about gum. But when cell phones first became popular with kids my mother would limit me talking on the phone to 10 minutes or else "you'll grow a 3rd ear".

In reality she just wanted to avoid me repeating my older sisters habits of talking on the phone for hours on end. But I didn't know that and at the time there were plenty of warnings about radiation and such with cell phones so why won't I believe her. In fact recently I overheard a parent tell their kid coronavirus is spread from talking on the phone.

Parents tend to get creative when attempting to break habits in children. Look at all our traditional fairy tales and folk stories from around the world. Most are simply over dramatized pieces of fiction wrapped with warnings to prevent children from harmful or annoying habits. They've just gotten simpler as years have gone by.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:13 AM

5,520 posts, read 5,788,620 times
I think that in general it is not a good thing to swallow something that the body can't digest.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:05 PM

9,161 posts, read 4,679,598 times
My Mom didn't let us have gum at all so I never heard that, but only "It makes you look like a cow chewing cud." hahaha

Old 03-17-2020, 12:40 PM

4,928 posts, read 2,237,900 times
I heard that from other kids, not adults.
My mom just said not to chew gum at all. She thought it looked cheap.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 PM

6,677 posts, read 2,808,034 times
OP: Why? To discourage the little idiots from doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or