Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:31 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times

Advertisements

We're fine but I have no idea how single parents or couples with no SAHP are managing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 06:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Literature is packed with stories of people born during TERRIBLE times, and the character that was developed.

This mollycoddling by parents has been detrimental to children. Maybe some alone time will assist them in connecting with their true spirits.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
I think many people continue socializing in small groups (less than 10) of low-risk people, in a private home or maybe in a park. And they simply hope the government doesn't find out. At least until it starts tracking your phone in the name of "safety" ; then just leave it at home. It is what it is. <shrug>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
imagine the kids a 100 yrs ago who had to work on the farm just to eat...
Apples and oranges! Kids worked on a farm in groups---large groups of a lot more than 10 people---where the socialization and the physical work was far more useful than the pathetic Common Core they teach in schools these days.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-19-2020 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 09:42 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCadet View Post
I think small pockets of social gatherings would be what most people do. For instance maybe a family will come to agreement with another family that their kids will play together but will not have other playgroups. I know its hard to do but it is feasible.
Excellent idea.
I've considered creating an isolated 'node' of me+so and another trusted couple of self isolates.
As long as you all are healthy after two weeks you can add another couple you trust to the node.
Then you can have a nice dinner party or play cards or pickleball together.
But no huggy-poo or kissy-face.
Sci Fi? Maybe.
But what else is there to do besides saying the hell with it and partaaaay?

Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
But what else is there to do besides saying the hell with it and partaaaay?
Yes, exactly. Certain parties---won't say which, 'cause this ain't a politics forum---want to make social distancing permanent. But it's like making holding in poop permanent; humans are social animals, and Facetiming won't cut it. It's only matter of time before people say "to hell with it!", revolt, and start having socializing orgies that will basically be the Sexual Revolution of the '60s, but with fully-clothed hugs instead of copulation.

That's if we're lucky. Far more likely, our society will turn into permanent shut-ins. Mass parades and celebrations will be a little more than a scary historical footnote by modern standards, like the Salem Witch Trials.
#DontTreadOnMe #LessGovernment #Hugs

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-19-2020 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 05:50 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Literature is packed with stories of people born during TERRIBLE times, and the character that was developed.

This mollycoddling by parents has been detrimental to children. Maybe some alone time will assist them in connecting with their true spirits.
Not only that, but this is also a great time for parents to reconnect with their children. Play board games, build a puzzle together! When the weather gets better in your area, go outside and play ball, frisbee...ride bikes, etc... Spend time with your kids! I'm going fishing with my son tomorrow. (Fish are biting like crazy because no one is at the lake!!)

Make this an opportunity to take a breather from LIFE. We all seem to be on the same treadmill together on most days of our lives, working hard, but not getting anywhere. Putting our family after the almighty dollar.

Now we have been given some of that time back, use it wisely!!

Old 03-20-2020, 07:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I would think a daily schedule providing routine would be helpful. I can't imagine asking "what do you want to do now?" all day long.

Menu planning, meal prep, cooking, serving, clean up - that takes up some time.

Home economics? A daily lesson on sewing, ironing, laundry, tire charging, battery charging,
Study finance & stock market trends/ history.

Craft time - paint rocks to hide, embroider initials/ decoration on a sweatshirt for grandma. Work on Christmas decorations - or other holidays. Perfect your Easter egg decorating. Tie dye, batik, crochet, knitting.

Journal and/ or write stories to be read aloud. Learn different genres of literature and write examples.

Write songs to perform.
Develop a work- out plan and target a skill (handstand? Headstand? Long jump? ) to improve.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:15 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
No interaction with other kids? No classroom learning and recess? No playing on playgrounds? No going to a movie? No bookstore trips? No grocery trips? No meals out, hearing the loud buzz of a restaurant? Just staying at home, all day, every day. How will our children's mental health be after this is all said and done? IF it even gets done?
Sounds like every summer I spent growing up in the 70s. Mom and Dad went to work, us kids stayed near home. Bored? Figure it out. I rode my bike, went to the library and read a lot. TV only had interesting shows in shorts bursts throughout the day (morning for preschoolers, Flintstones at lunch, reruns of the Brady Bunch before supper. There wasn't a lot of hanging out with other kids, because they also were expected to stay close to home. Vacations were car trips with our parents.

You'd be amazed at what kids can come up with when they have the time. Boredom is the best push to creativity. And what's wrong with your kids cleaning up? You seem to think that's a weird thing for a kid to do.

Worrying about their mental health because they have to spend time with family is sad, and a bit horrifying for their future.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:02 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Not only that, but this is also a great time for parents to reconnect with their children. Play board games, build a puzzle together! When the weather gets better in your area, go outside and play ball, frisbee...ride bikes, etc... Spend time with your kids! I'm going fishing with my son tomorrow. (Fish are biting like crazy because no one is at the lake!!)

Make this an opportunity to take a breather from LIFE. We all seem to be on the same treadmill together on most days of our lives, working hard, but not getting anywhere. Putting our family after the almighty dollar.

Now we have been given some of that time back, use it wisely!!
It is definitely a gift of some kind.

Wonderful opportunity to reboot.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:13 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
no kids here but have young niece and nephews... none are in school yet so it didn't affect them. I just hope when I get back to babysitting them after mom is done with maternity leave that the library is open so I can check out books. The older kids looked forwarded to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting