U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 01:00 PM

836 posts, read 781,428 times

Advertisements

Our kids have been out of school for just under 2 weeks now and the strain is already showing- and last week was our spring break! I am having a very hard time trying to figure out a new routine for them and myself, as we are all used to being busy with school and work (I work at a preschool) all day long. As parents, how the he$$ are we supposed to maintain social distancing for months on end?

No interaction with other kids? No classroom learning and recess? No playing on playgrounds? No going to a movie? No bookstore trips? No grocery trips? No meals out, hearing the loud buzz of a restaurant? Just staying at home, all day, every day. How will our children's mental health be after this is all said and done? IF it even gets done?

Sure, we can go to our park and run around a bit but what about the other 10 hours in the day we have to fill up? Lessons will only take so long and I'm terrified that I will end up having robot kids. We've done crafts, baking, walking, playing in the backyard, bike rides at the park, drives in the car, reading, virtual zoo trips, worksheets, movies, tablet playing (I HATE that part but it's for our sanity at this point) science experiments and more. Right now my kids are WILLINGLY cleaning out the drawers in their nightstands, as they collect all sorts of little things.

Yeah, I know, it's better to be alone in a house than to be dead or seriously ill. I get it. Humans are social beings, though, and if you've limited your kids interactions with electronics their entire lives and all of a sudden you have to switch over to a huge amount of digital interaction....it's very daunting. I've barely slept in the last week because I'm so anxious and worried over how this is going to affect our kids.

I'm worried my kids won't be HAPPY anymore.

How do we show them the good in the world when it seems as if that world is coming apart at the seams? Or keep their hope up?

A friend of mine works as a teacher here in our area and told me that it is a strong possibility none of us will be going back to school until September. I literally almost puked when I heard that. How in God's name did we get to this point and how do we explain this to our children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 01:03 PM

36 posts, read 13,762 times
I think small pockets of social gatherings would be what most people do. For instance maybe a family will come to agreement with another family that their kids will play together but will not have other playgroups. I know its hard to do but it is feasible.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 649,656 times
My kids are doing a lot of FaceTime and playing xbox online with friends and cousins. I’m worried about the impact of a month of this though.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:01 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,181,478 times
Children will be fine. They are resilient.

They have tv, the internet, books, toys and smartphones.
Previous generations have gone through much worse and did just fine.
Be positive, supportive and a good role model. Have conversations and discuss their concerns with them.
It will make you closer.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:27 PM

18,451 posts, read 19,206,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
(snip)
Sure, we can go to our park and run around a bit but what about the other 10 hours in the day we have to fill up?
I've barely slept in the last week because I'm so anxious and worried over how this is going to affect our kids.
Someone that I know has been taking their children to a different state park or nature preserve every day. The kids help make breakfast, pack lunches and then clean-up before they leave. It may be a 30 to 45 minute drive to the park and then they have the freedom to run around and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. They may play catch or blow bubbles or use a Stomp-rocket or roll down hills or just race around.

Yesterday they went to a park with lots of hills and pretended that they were in The Sound of Music. Mom sent us a beautiful picture of the kids twirling and singing on a hill top with acres and acres of empty park around them. A few hours later they go home and draw pictures and dictate stories of what they saw and did that day. Then they may start the other activities that you listed that are more "school related".

Frankly, if you keep a positive attitude I doubt if it will effect your children very much in the long run. Kids are resilient.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:28 PM

18,451 posts, read 19,206,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Children will be fine. They are resilient.

They have tv, the internet, books, toys and smartphones.
Previous generations have gone through much worse and did just fine.
Be positive, supportive and a good role model. Have conversations and discuss their concerns with them.
It will make you closer.
Good points.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:29 PM

836 posts, read 781,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Someone that I know has been taking their children to a different state park or nature preserve every day. The kids help make breakfast, pack lunches and then clean-up before they leave. It may be a 30 to 45 minute drive to the park and then they have the freedom to run around and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. They may play catch or blow bubbles or use a Stomp-rocket or roll down hills or just race around.

Yesterday they went to a park with lots of hills and pretended that they were in The Sound of Music. Mom sent us a beautiful picture of the kids twirling and singing on a hill top with acres and acres of empty park around them. A few hours later they go home and draw pictures and dictate stories of what they saw and did that day. Then they may start the other activities that you listed that are more "school related".

Frankly, if you keep a positive attitude I doubt if it will effect your children very much in the long run. Kids are resilient.

I really like this idea ^^^ It's been gloomy and rainy off and on here in north TX, so mud would be a factor but who cares? I'm going to look up parks around us right now!

Old 03-18-2020, 05:52 PM

19,063 posts, read 24,909,775 times
imagine the kids a 100 yrs ago who had to work on the farm just to eat...

kids are resilient use it as a learning experience show the upside of how some are helping out others

Old 03-19-2020, 06:10 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
My husband is doing remote work and i still go to work everyday and our 6 year old is all by himself. There arent any supplemental activities, baking lessons or park trips. Because we still have to work. Its only day 3 and hes already asking why he cant see his friends. its heartbreaking

Old 03-19-2020, 12:12 PM

332 posts, read 164,826 times
The kids will be alright. I think it's the parent's that are more concerned. People that have kids at home can always facetime/Skype with their friends so they can talk and see their friends so they get some social interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting