U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 06:13 PM

13,593 posts, read 7,790,021 times

Advertisements

I read an article today about a home health aide who had to choose to go to work and help her invalid patient who needed her care or leave her 7 year old daughter home alone because school had been canceled. she chose to quit her job, her only source of income. i teared up thinking about how many mothers and fathers are making difficult choices now.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-22-2020 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 09:29 PM

8,426 posts, read 14,056,327 times
I just can't get past this thread...

Words like "Heartbreak" and "mourning" for celebrating the end of kindergarten at home instead of
with the class ???

I would make a terrible therapist. I would have to say "You are kidding me right? "

Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 PM

27,764 posts, read 19,628,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I just can't get past this thread...

Words like "Heartbreak" and "mourning" for celebrating the end of kindergarten at home instead of
with the class ???

I would make a terrible therapist. I would have to say "You are kidding me right? "

Yes, you would be a terrible therapist.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, you would be a terrible therapist.
I would tell people whining about such minor things to move along and not waste my time.

For people with actual problems I would be very patient.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,837,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
It's hard to relate or sympathize.

Time to teach by example of how to be flexible & stay positive.

Spend your energy on how to creatively use the time to teach some life skills.

Have some fun cooking together, start a garden and so on.

That was about the age of my boys when their dad left and I learned to single parent.
I handled that better than you are handling an early summer school dismissal.
We went to plan B and had a great year doing amazing family fun things.
Wow, really. Have some some fun... Did your boys have a graduation ceremony that year? Because my son probably won’t. I don’t even know if his scholarship will be there in the fall or if he can even start college because of this disaster. He’s lost his Summa ceremony (for those if you with young kids or no kid or kids way out of school, that’s maintaining over a 100 gpa for all 4 years of HS), his Prom is gone and probably any sort of graduation ceremony. He’s busted his you know what since elementary school for this and his future. Yeah, you got yours or hopefully you will in the future but for the 2020 Seniors, it’s all gone. The only equivalent is WWs and the Great Depression.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
Wow, really. Have some some fun... Did your boys have a graduation ceremony that year? Because my son probably won’t. I don’t even know if his scholarship will be there in the fall or if he can even start college because of this disaster. He’s lost his Summa ceremony (for those if you with young kids or no kid or kids way out of school, that’s maintaining over a 100 gpa for all 4 years of HS), his Prom is gone and probably any sort of graduation ceremony. He’s busted his you know what since elementary school for this and his future. We don’t even know what will happen in the fall - will his scholarship/honors program fall through... yeah, you got yours or hopefully you will in the future but for the 2020 Seniors, it’s all gone. The only equivalent is WWs and the Great Depression.
I was talking about the 5 year old that is missing the last month of kindergarten.

But my grandson is missing his senior activities & graduation.

I agree that the graduation seniors are losing something very valuable.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,837,861 times
Kelly, sorry I quoted you. Just so many, “yeah, no big deal posts”. Sorry...I’m hurting. My son is an academic and this was the culmination of his hard work. I have an 8th grader I’m fine with the transition to online school then hopefully high school in the fall. I’m actually more sad than my son. He was born shortly before 9/11 and we lost a lot of the wonder and joy the first year because of it. Really doesn’t seem fair but I am heartbroken about this “plague” and the loss of life. I’m just selfish enough to miss the special events we’re missing for him.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:51 AM

4,808 posts, read 1,968,127 times
Quote:
Wow, really. Have some some fun... Did your boys have a graduation ceremony that year? Because my son probably won’t. I don’t even know if his scholarship will be there in the fall or if he can even start college because of this disaster. He’s lost his Summa ceremony (for those if you with young kids or no kid or kids way out of school, that’s maintaining over a 100 gpa for all 4 years of HS), his Prom is gone and probably any sort of graduation ceremony. He’s busted his you know what since elementary school for this and his future. Yeah, you got yours or hopefully you will in the future but for the 2020 Seniors, it’s all gone. The only equivalent is WWs and the Great Depression.
And this is probably the greatest lesson he's ever learned, more important than anything he's learned in school - LIFE IS NEVER GUARANTEED, and sometimes you have to accept and adapt to circumstances beyond your control. The people who go far in life are the ones who embrace that concept and use it as a tool for personal growth.

Some people go through life and never learn that lesson, or choose not to internalize it when it presents itself, as it is for so many people now. They are the ones who live out their lives with little to nothing to show for it because they were too damn busy whining about what's been "taken" from them and not opening their eyes and recognizing the opportunities for new directions that are often times right in front of their face.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Kelly, sorry I quoted you. Just so many, “yeah, no big deal posts”. Sorry...I’m hurting. My son is an academic and this was the culmination of his hard work. I have an 8th grader I’m fine with the transition to online school then hopefully high school in the fall. I’m actually more sad than my son. He was born shortly before 9/11 and we lost a lot of the wonder and joy the first year because of it. Really doesn’t seem fair but I am heartbroken about this “plague” and the loss of life. I’m just selfish enough to miss the special events we’re missing for him.

These events are as much for parents as the kids so it's not selfish.

This COVID had shaken me too.. I am sad that so many are dying and my one comfort was
that I thought my 30 to 40 year old kids would be safe. Now it seems that is not for sure anymore.
It seems unimaginable that our country does not have enough tests or masks for our healthcare workers..
How can china do better at that that we have ??

AS far as it affecting his fall college I don't think they will let that happen to our seniors.
It will be the same situation for all the freshmen in the fall.

We just have to have faith that when this is all over we will have some life lessons from it all.
It may give him some inspiration that would not have occurred otherwise.

But I do understand that it is a missed time in a senior's life that has been taken away from them.

Some schools here say they will have a ceremony when this is over, no matter when.
I know it's not the same but at least something.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:55 AM

8,759 posts, read 4,704,656 times
Quote:
Perspective. Having been a teenager, raised a couple and known thousands I can't help but believe that the "loss" of everything you mention means more to you than it does to your son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or