U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2020, 04:19 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598

Advertisements

You guys have really given me some perspective. When he says "for my birthday i want..." im gonna say just be glad youre alive. When he wants to have a party or a sleepover ill just tell him kids in concentration camps didnt get parties. When hes sad because all his friends are inside and hes trapped inside in the first beautiful days of spring ill remind him that people 100 years ago had to be child laborers and he should be grateful. When he asks about santa ill remind him that he could be dead. You know its really true. We shouldnt celebrate anything at all because honestly...we could just be dead instead. Thats what all these people on these incredibly high horses did right? Not celebrate anything ever...because they could actually be dead????

 
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
48,404 posts, read 46,693,254 times
Reputation: 94774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I just can't get past this thread...

Words like "Heartbreak" and "mourning" for celebrating the end of kindergarten at home instead of
with the class ???

I would make a terrible therapist. I would have to say "You are kidding me right? "
You’ve made this clear, even in some posts that have been deleted.

At this point it’s just piling on.
 
Old 03-23-2020, 04:41 AM
 
8,726 posts, read 4,688,947 times
Reputation: 18730
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
You guys have really given me some perspective. When he says "for my birthday i want..." im gonna say just be glad youre alive. When he wants to have a party or a sleepover ill just tell him kids in concentration camps didnt get parties. When hes sad because all his friends are inside and hes trapped inside in the first beautiful days of spring ill remind him that people 100 years ago had to be child laborers and he should be grateful. When he asks about santa ill remind him that he could be dead. You know its really true. We shouldnt celebrate anything at all because honestly...we could just be dead instead. Thats what all these people on these incredibly high horses did right? Not celebrate anything ever...because they could actually be dead????
It's too bad you don't understand the difference.

"You can't always get what you want." - Sir Michael Philip Jagger, 1968
 
Old 03-23-2020, 05:03 AM
 
Location: NJ
13,183 posts, read 22,896,266 times
Reputation: 12164
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Im not sure what all the schools are doing, but our sons school districts gave out laptops to the high schoolers. Beyond that Im not sure
I'm originally from Union County. I'm down in Gloucester County since 93. I can't believe how much more our school system prepared then yours. My 6 year old grandson is in 1st grade, they were all given laptops. It's my understanding that all students have been given these chrome books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We are in NJ suburbs of NYC and our kids are doing distance learning. There may be some sort of makeup just for hours or exams but we have 10th graders and 8th graders and a 6th grader and 5th grader. They are all doing computer classes with timed tests, check ins with instructors and hours worth of classwork. My kindergartner has a thick packet from his school and everyday the teachers post what todays work is and you have to post pictures of everything for grading. So at least around here there arent any plans to make up if the work is completed. But we wont know for sure until we go back to school.
We log into google classrooms where the work is. We then log into an app called Clever. He should be logging in between school hours to do his work 8am to 4pm because some apps won't work after 4. The teacher either logs into the apps to grade what they did or some subjects use a google doc sheet that you attach to each subject, then mark as done. I can see she graded his work by switching the classroom view. The teachers here also use an app called classroom DOJO.

So far our schools are closed until March 27th but it could go longer. We don't know.

The state of Michigan said online school won't count for their kids so I asked my grandson's teacher, she said that yes, since they're using google classrooms, giving assignments that it will count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
In my district, they are lending chromebooks or tablets to all students who don't have access to a computer, and the cable company is providing free internet access to any student who doesn't already have it. And the district is also still distributing free breakfast and lunch to those who need it.
All of our kids have a classroom chromebook. They sent home a note asking about internet the week before schools closed last Monday.

Our district started doing breakfast and lunches Thursday for free lunch students but called yesterday to say they'll give it to all kids starting today. I don't know what they give and am curious because tomorrow they're going to hand out Tuesday to Fridays food.
 
Old 03-23-2020, 05:47 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm originally from Union County. I'm down in Gloucester County since 93. I can't believe how much more our school system prepared then yours. My 6 year old grandson is in 1st grade, they were all given laptops. It's my understanding that all students have been given these chrome books.



We log into google classrooms where the work is. We then log into an app called Clever. He should be logging in between school hours to do his work 8am to 4pm because some apps won't work after 4. The teacher either logs into the apps to grade what they did or some subjects use a google doc sheet that you attach to each subject, then mark as done. I can see she graded his work by switching the classroom view. The teachers here also use an app called classroom DOJO.

So far our schools are closed until March 27th but it could go longer. We don't know.

The state of Michigan said online school won't count for their kids so I asked my grandson's teacher, she said that yes, since they're using google classrooms, giving assignments that it will count.



All of our kids have a classroom chromebook. They sent home a note asking about internet the week before schools closed last Monday.

Our district started doing breakfast and lunches Thursday for free lunch students but called yesterday to say they'll give it to all kids starting today. I don't know what they give and am curious because tomorrow they're going to hand out Tuesday to Fridays food.
They definitely did not have a plan but its a charter school and there isnt a need for distance learning i guess. The public schools were already set up to an extent because they have remote schooling for various reasons already.

I saw that thing about michigan. I wouldnt do anything except like reading with my child which we already do. If its not going to count and have to be made up then he can have summer now and go back to school later. Its so crazy and up in the air.


On a side note, my amazing strong niece graduated last June, and enlisted in the army in august. Graduated boot camp in January and started AIT right after that. She was supposed to come home for 2 weeks before shipping out to Alaska. They cancelled graduation and as soon as she was finished AIT they all had to go out and start setting up tents and working. Like literally the hour after they said ok youre all trained. She is heartbroken too. She worked incredibly hard and excelled her peers and deserved recognition for all her hard work. She didnt get to see her mother when she graduated. She wasnt allowed to leave the base or "celebrate" with her classmates.

But we arent allowed to say heartbroken right? Who cares right?
 
Old 03-23-2020, 07:25 AM
 
1,080 posts, read 403,624 times
Reputation: 2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
You guys have really given me some perspective. When he says "for my birthday i want..." im gonna say just be glad youre alive. When he wants to have a party or a sleepover ill just tell him kids in concentration camps didnt get parties. When hes sad because all his friends are inside and hes trapped inside in the first beautiful days of spring ill remind him that people 100 years ago had to be child laborers and he should be grateful. When he asks about santa ill remind him that he could be dead. You know its really true. We shouldnt celebrate anything at all because honestly...we could just be dead instead. Thats what all these people on these incredibly high horses did right? Not celebrate anything ever...because they could actually be dead????
I know you are being sarcastic. But all the things you say in the above post are right.

This is the time to teach the youngsters to pound salts, chop woods, scrub the floors and toilets, clean their room and drawers, take turn to do laundry for the whole family, clean the garage and car(s), and go to ride bicycle, or tell the older ones to teach the younger ones. Keep them busy. Tell them that they have been spoiled and having too much free times to whine. Tell them to grow up and learn to take care of themselves. Tell yourself and your children to stop whining.

Sorry for sounding harsh; actually not. This is the tough time for the whole world. Everyone is suffering. Is it better to whine or to be calm and work together to find a solution?

When the world is breezy and rosy, people can party and celebrate. When it's in danger, people need to shut their mouths, to think hard and work their butts off.
 
Old 03-23-2020, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Florida
12,559 posts, read 5,980,921 times
Reputation: 25718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For some yes.

I can tell you that when I was school aged, it would have been a blessing beyond belief and would have gladly have taken as many weeks quarantined as you could give me (and my lifestyle back then wasn't that far off from quarantine).

Of course ... in retrospect, those weeks are going to be made up somewhere.
For those of us who had an abusive home life, school was our refuge.
 
Old 03-23-2020, 07:47 AM
 
27,728 posts, read 19,588,217 times
Reputation: 48894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm originally from Union County. I'm down in Gloucester County since 93. I can't believe how much more our school system prepared then yours. My 6 year old grandson is in 1st grade, they were all given laptops. It's my understanding that all students have been given these chrome books.



We log into google classrooms where the work is. We then log into an app called Clever. He should be logging in between school hours to do his work 8am to 4pm because some apps won't work after 4. The teacher either logs into the apps to grade what they did or some subjects use a google doc sheet that you attach to each subject, then mark as done. I can see she graded his work by switching the classroom view. The teachers here also use an app called classroom DOJO.

So far our schools are closed until March 27th but it could go longer. We don't know.

The state of Michigan said online school won't count for their kids so I asked my grandson's teacher, she said that yes, since they're using google classrooms, giving assignments that it will count.



All of our kids have a classroom chromebook. They sent home a note asking about internet the week before schools closed last Monday.

Our district started doing breakfast and lunches Thursday for free lunch students but called yesterday to say they'll give it to all kids starting today. I don't know what they give and am curious because tomorrow they're going to hand out Tuesday to Fridays food.
In Winslow Twp where a relative teaches they are not doing home school for elementary because too many kids don’t have computers and/or internet.
 
Old 03-23-2020, 07:55 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
For those of us who had an abusive home life, school was our refuge.
This is definitely something that has been weighing on my heart pretty heavily. Yes im sad that my life is impacted. Yes im sad that other peoples lives have been impacted so much more. But i am DEVASTATED by the children who may only eat once a day and now they dont even have that. By the children who are abused and now they are trapped in the house with their parent or caregiver all the time, a caregiver who is more stressed than usual, more on edge than usual and taking it out on the most innocent. All children, even healthy children in a conventional household with loving parents, deserves a childhood free from stress worry hunger and abuse. And so many children arent getting that right now.

And my 5 almost 6 year old doesnt need to learn to do his laundry or be self sufficient. Hes 5. He still wakes me up in the night to tell me he has to go pee before going to the bathroom no matter how many times I tell him to just go. He works very hard on his handwriting so that his teacher will make a fuss. He worked very hard on his first school project and could barely contain himself when it was time to present it. He works on his reading and sight words all the time so he can get his little certificate and have his picture taken. Children really appreciate being recognized for their accomplishments and the amount of people here saying none of it matters really surprise me. None of you ever looked at the pride shining from your child when they did something right??? Noone? Yes the world is turned upside down but for a lot of children, these are 1 time only milestones they are missing, especially if they worked really hard on something and it just disappeared. Yes its important to keep perspective for our children and teach them that things dont always go as planned and that its just a small thing in a big situation but I dont think its appropriate or ok to tell my small child that none of it matters, because it matters to him. it matters to me and it matters to our family.
 
Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 AM
 
5,627 posts, read 2,463,688 times
Reputation: 11023
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
This is definitely something that has been weighing on my heart pretty heavily. Yes im sad that my life is impacted. Yes im sad that other peoples lives have been impacted so much more. But i am DEVASTATED by the children who may only eat once a day and now they dont even have that. By the children who are abused and now they are trapped in the house with their parent or caregiver all the time, a caregiver who is more stressed than usual, more on edge than usual and taking it out on the most innocent. All children, even healthy children in a conventional household with loving parents, deserves a childhood free from stress worry hunger and abuse. And so many children arent getting that right now.

And my 5 almost 6 year old doesnt need to learn to do his laundry or be self sufficient. Hes 5. He still wakes me up in the night to tell me he has to go pee before going to the bathroom no matter how many times I tell him to just go. He works very hard on his handwriting so that his teacher will make a fuss. He worked very hard on his first school project and could barely contain himself when it was time to present it. He works on his reading and sight words all the time so he can get his little certificate and have his picture taken. Children really appreciate being recognized for their accomplishments and the amount of people here saying none of it matters really surprise me. None of you ever looked at the pride shining from your child when they did something right??? Noone? Yes the world is turned upside down but for a lot of children, these are 1 time only milestones they are missing, especially if they worked really hard on something and it just disappeared. Yes its important to keep perspective for our children and teach them that things dont always go as planned and that its just a small thing in a big situation but I dont think its appropriate or ok to tell my small child that none of it matters, because it matters to him. it matters to me and it matters to our family.
Many school districts are still working hard to provide lunches for students who are eligible. I know in Chicago Public schools, parents can pick up 3 days worth of breakfast/lunch and my local suburban district also has morning hours to allow for pickup of breakfast/lunch. Hopefully other school districts are doing the same thing. People are allowed to leave their homes for essential activities, which includes going out to buy/pick up food. School districts know now that this is especially important since many grocery stores are not fully stocked and it can be hard to find essentials.

Children have lived through wars in the past and have had to give up essentials. I think this will help people build character and empathy for others who might experience worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top