Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 08:29 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Many school districts are still working hard to provide lunches for students who are eligible. I know in Chicago Public schools, parents can pick up 3 days worth of breakfast/lunch and my local suburban district also has morning hours to allow for pickup of breakfast/lunch. Hopefully other school districts are doing the same thing. People are allowed to leave their homes for essential activities, which includes going out to buy/pick up food. School districts know now that this is especially important since many grocery stores are not fully stocked and it can be hard to find essentials.

Children have lived through wars in the past and have had to give up essentials. I think this will help people build character and empathy for others who might experience worse.
As i can only speak from personal experience, my son goes to a charter school. The elementary school is in my neighborhood, the middle school is in the next town over. The middle school is who is distributing the meals to the kids from all 3 schools. So the parents who dont have transportation or the kids whose parents simply dont care are not getting the food. Its as simple as that.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Many school districts are still working hard to provide lunches for students who are eligible. I know in Chicago Public schools, parents can pick up 3 days worth of breakfast/lunch and my local suburban district also has morning hours to allow for pickup of breakfast/lunch. Hopefully other school districts are doing the same thing. People are allowed to leave their homes for essential activities, which includes going out to buy/pick up food. School districts know now that this is especially important since many grocery stores are not fully stocked and it can be hard to find essentials.

Children have lived through wars in the past and have had to give up essentials. I think this will help people build character and empathy for others who might experience worse.
And in WWII their parents were upset for their lives being turned upside down. They didn’t say “toughen up” they understand that abrupt changes like this are upsetting to kids and makes them afraid. Why people think people weren’t sympathetic to these things in the past is beyond me. I think the biggest difference between them and now is the lack of understanding of the human condition and the shaming now. In WWII there were whole communities that put their gas ration coupons together for a couple to have a honeymoon. They didn’t shame the bride saying “You don’t need that, some husbands have been killed at the front!
”There wasn’t this attitude of “get over it, kids go to bed hungry every night” “tell your kids to quit whining” (at age five, for God’s sake).

It is normal to mourn the sudden loss of normalcy and all the little things that symbolize it. Why we feel so self important that we feel justified in shaming people I don’t know, but IMO it makes us weaker as a county and as human beings. I don’t think you’d have seen this in WWII. People were decent and kind to each other then.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:40 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
As i can only speak from personal experience, my son goes to a charter school. The elementary school is in my neighborhood, the middle school is in the next town over. The middle school is who is distributing the meals to the kids from all 3 schools. So the parents who dont have transportation or the kids whose parents simply dont care are not getting the food. Its as simple as that.
You are really saying that there are people who do not get from point A to point B when they want to? Have you picked up for others and dropped it off?

Old 03-23-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are really saying that there are people who do not get from point A to point B when they want to? Have you picked up for others and dropped it off?
There are people who live in my neighborhood who do not have cars or money to buy their children food or who dont care enough to put the effort in. And our elementary school is in our neighborhood everyone either walks or drives their kids, there is 1 school bus for kids who live more than 2 miles away. And if there isnt a bus that goes to where they want to go they dont go there. So yes I am really saying that.

And no i havent picked up for others and dropped it off because the only pick up times are from 9 am to 11 am and I AM AT WORK!

Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
There are people who live in my neighborhood who do not have cars or money to buy their children food or who dont care enough to put the effort in. And our elementary school is in our neighborhood everyone either walks or drives their kids, there is 1 school bus for kids who live more than 2 miles away. And if there isnt a bus that goes to where they want to go they dont go there. So yes I am really saying that.

And no i havent picked up for others and dropped it off because the only pick up times are from 9 am to 11 am and I AM AT WORK!
Your husband works from home.

We just lost a friend to this and no death certificates are being issued. That is a real world problem.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:

We just lost a friend to this and no death certificates are being issued. That is a real world problem.
Because abused children and hungry children is not a real world problem? Yes he is working from home and he is WORKING. Not driving around. We have to work.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In Winslow Twp where a relative teaches they are not doing home school for elementary because too many kids don’t have computers and/or internet.
I'm not surprised. We looked at houses there; I read about their school system back in 2008. That's why we bought in our town. My daughter was in school back then

Old 03-23-2020, 12:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:

Quote:
Because abused children and hungry children is not a real world problem? Yes he is working from home and he is WORKING. Not driving around. We have to work.
Did you just compare the "heartbreak" of a 5 year old not being able to attend kindergarten graduation and bring his artwork home to abused and hungry children ?

abuse & hunger = real and heartbreaking situations
missing kindergarten graduation= inconvenience

Old 03-23-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Did you just compare the "heartbreak" of a 5 year old not being able to attend kindergarten graduation and bring his artwork home to abused and hungry children ?

abuse & hunger = real and heartbreaking situations
missing kindergarten graduation= inconvenience
What are you talking about? I was talking previously about the devastation of children being abused and neglected and going hungry and hows its weighing very heavy on my heart...so simmer down.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

Why are we judging whose problem is “real” and whose isn’t? I find it all over these boards lately and I find it ridiculous. It’s not a competition about who has it worse. There’s always someone who has things worse, that doesn’t mean we should sit in judgement of who gets to be upset and who doesn’t. I think if I complained on the health board that I have chronic debilitating migraines, someone would come on and say “some people have brain tumors, get over it”!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting