U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:00 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,043,037 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it seems like a big deal now but as your children grow older, the things that seem so important now tend to not feel like they were such a big deal anymore. Your children are still going to advance to their next schools and will no doubt have another graduation or 3 for you to attend. Lots of schools don’t even have graduation ceremonies or events for those grades. The children do just fine without them. It is the moving on that counts, not how you celebrate it (or not).

Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 PM

8,426 posts, read 14,058,012 times
If the graduation is important to you & your kid,
then organize one for the kids when this outbreak is over.
It can still be a grand memorable event !!

Old 03-23-2020, 05:09 PM

4,841 posts, read 3,229,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For some yes.

I can tell you that when I was school aged, it would have been a blessing beyond belief and would have gladly have taken as many weeks quarantined as you could give me (and my lifestyle back then wasn't that far off from quarantine).

Of course ... in retrospect, those weeks are going to be made up somewhere.
Ditto. More time with the Nintendo, getting to wake up later. These things were only possible via snow days!

Old 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM

16,600 posts, read 18,978,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
There are people who live in my neighborhood who do not have cars or money to buy their children food or who dont care enough to put the effort in. And our elementary school is in our neighborhood everyone either walks or drives their kids, there is 1 school bus for kids who live more than 2 miles away. And if there isnt a bus that goes to where they want to go they dont go there. So yes I am really saying that.

And no i havent picked up for others and dropped it off because the only pick up times are from 9 am to 11 am and I AM AT WORK!
Also here in our district, you have to bring your child with you to pick up meals. In some districts, parents can just bring the student's id card, but not ours.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:59 PM

27,764 posts, read 19,628,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
If the graduation is important to you & your kid,
then organize one for the kids when this outbreak is over.
It can still be a grand memorable event !!
That’ll be a good thing to do, but it’s still not the same as going around the school and getting your yearbook signed by everyone you’ve been with all these years, going to prom, senior cut day and all the other traditions that these kids have looked forward to for years. For a lot of kids, senior year is the year they most look forward to.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
We're all here to offer opinions; simply disagreeing with an opinion does not make it judgemental. Certainly a lesson in disappointment being part of life is not misplaced when looking at ways to address a child's disappointment.
You can’t disagree with someone’s feelings. If you reread her post, all she said is that she’s sad. She even says these little things may not seem that important but they are. And they are she’s right. These things are all symbols of normalcy, and the loss of normalcy is perfectly natural and normal to mourn when it’s been taking so abruptly especially. People haven’t been disagreeing with her (whatever that means when a post is simply an expression of how she feels) people are wagging the finger of shame and telling her her feelings aren’t valid.

Kids especially are afraid right now, telling them oh well life is full of disappointments get used to it a five-year-old for goodness sake I don’t understand what happens to people online.

During World War II, people in communities would put their ration coupons together so that a child could have a birthday, or a bride could have a honeymoon. Because they understood the trying to maintain normalcy as much as possible is important for people’s mental well-being. Because our traditions mean something not just to individuals but the collective. I don’t think there was this kind of shaming and competition of who has it worse and who is and isn’t allowed to express sadness that you see online today. It’s a very ugly side of us that online has brought out in my opinion.

OP basically said “I am sad right now” and a bunch of people responded with “we don’t think you have that right and you should be ashamed of your feelings.”

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-24-2020 at 06:11 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 06:13 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 24 days ago)

1,058 posts, read 363,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can’t disagree with someone’s feelings. If you reread her post, all she said is that she’s sad. She even says these little things may not seem that important but they are. And they are she’s right. These things are all symbols of normalcy, and the loss of normalcy is perfectly natural and normal to mourn when it’s been taking so abruptly especially. People haven’t been disagreeing with her (whatever that means when a post is simply an expression of how she feels) people are wagging the finger of shame and telling her her feelings aren’t valid.

Kids especially are afraid right now, telling them oh well life is full of disappointments get used to it a five-year-old for goodness sake I don’t understand what happens to people online.
I have to believe that people arent like this to their own children in their own real life. Its easy to judge online because you dont think of it in terms of yourself. Im moving on. I thought the few people who felt upset about the upheaval for their children could discuss it. And ive gotten quite a few rep points so im not the only one who feel this way. But all the negativity and stuff is keeping others from expressing any feelings they may have about it.

Thank you to the people who genuinely tried to offer suggestions to ease the transitions and who chimed in to agree and share a little.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 AM

8,761 posts, read 4,704,656 times
Quote:

During World War II, people in communities would put their ration coupons together so that a child could have a birthday, or a bride could have a honeymoon. Because they understood the trying to maintain normalcy as much as possible is important for people’s mental well-being. Because our traditions mean something not just to individuals but the collective. I don’t think there was this kind of shaming and competition of who has it worse and who is and isn’t allowed to express sadness that you see online today. It’s a very ugly side of us that online has brought out in my opinion.

OP basically said “I am sad right now” and a bunch of people responded with “we don’t think you have that right and you should be ashamed of your feelings.”
As is learning to deal with life's petty disappoints as they prepare us for the larger ones.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:55 AM

12,615 posts, read 6,004,474 times
Quote:
Why are we judging whose problem is “real” and whose isn’t? I find it all over these boards lately and I find it ridiculous. It’s not a competition about who has it worse. There’s always someone who has things worse, that doesn’t mean we should sit in judgement of who gets to be upset and who doesn’t. I think if I complained on the health board that I have chronic debilitating migraines, someone would come on and say “some people have brain tumors, get over it”!
^^ This ^^

Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
As is learning to deal with life's petty disappoints as they prepare us for the larger ones.
There is no reason to believe she’s not “dealing with it” she is simply expressing momentary sadness. And shaming is not how people learn to cope with hardship A, and B, it’s not yours or anyone’s place to teach them nor to judge what people have a “right” to feel sad about. We should especially on this forum be a safe place for people to express feelings of sadness or fear without being shamed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or