U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 11:40 AM

14,164 posts, read 26,411,773 times

Advertisements

My contemporaries got an all expense paid trip to Vietnam as their graduation trip. My mom's contemporaries lost multiple summers not being allowed to leave the house due to the polio epidemic. In my grandmother's time it was the Spanish Influenza epidemic. It happens. People move on and survive. School days are a small part of life. Your kids will be fine. Probably means more to you than it does to them.

They will be telling their grandchildren about the Corona Virus. And how they had to walk to school in blizzards uphill both ways. Life goes on!

Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM

16,117 posts, read 9,840,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments. What about advancement ceremonies? Graduations? Celebrating the start of summer and the days ahead. The slow wind down of the end of the year where you say goodbye to your friends, some you dont ever see again. Saying thank you to their teachers, their principals for raising and teacher your little people when you cant.

These things are so very sad. This is my son kindergarten year. Hes learning to read and write and do math. But hes also learning how to sit in his desk and pay attention, learning that sometimes you do what you dont want to do, learning to keep up with his papers and his lunchbox. Learning independence. And now I dont know if im even going to get to celebrate his completion of his first year of school, celebrate his achievement of going into kinder as practically a baby and coming out a big kid who doesnt need me nearly as much. Say thank you to the amazing staff of teachers and give them a small gift at his kindergarten graduation.

In a world gone mad, these things dont seem that important..but they are.
They're important, but not everything. It's an opportunity for a wonderful life lesson: the world does not revolved solely around children, food on the table and roof over their heads is a priority for parents, and sometimes life disappoints us but we have to put things into perspective.

Let me guess - you're projecting your hysteria to them, considering the "world has gone mad". No, it hasn't.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 2,295,003 times
I feel sorry for all the Seniors graduating this year. All the hard work they’ve put into their education from K-12th grade & probably won’t get much as much fun and recognition like all the other seniors have in the past. I hope it doesn’t put a damper on how they feel about their future plans.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:14 AM

1,649 posts, read 655,467 times
Well today was day two of DD working from home but at our place. I am helping her surpervise the kids' online learning as our state government is asking kids to be kept home if possible. We are in partial shutdown, not lock down at this stage and I am a retired teacher, in good health, so have chosen to assist. Unlike the northern hemisphere, it is early in the school year and the government are worried about kids losing a whole year if conditions deteriorate quickly, as they well may do.

It is a steep learning curve for me, navigating all sorts of online programs that we did not have ten years ago, when I was working. I told the kids to think of it being like living in the Outback, where kids learn like this all the time.

But I did feel sad this afternoon for the younger one. We were waiting for his mother to wind up her work long enough to get them home. She will be working at all hours tonight with everything going on in her field. The younger commented that this is not like aftercare. He was really missing his normal aftercare activities. He has only just started making new friends at school, it being week 7 of the year.

I think it is normal to feel sadness about what is happening around the world. What hit me today, of all things, was the notice from the library saying there would be no fines on books kept while they were shut. You cannot always predict how you are going to feel in a crisis and you cannot expect kids to either.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 AM

13,619 posts, read 22,278,754 times
Moderator cut: in closing
Sorry guys but sidebars and arguments abound in this thread. We realize the signs of these times can cause us to be on edge and I only ask that you take a deep breath and reread what you have written before submitting your post.
Many thanks for your cooperation and "Be well everyonel".
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or