U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:31 AM

8,527 posts, read 10,587,485 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the snowflakes are now raising a new generation of snowflakes. Ugh.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:28 PM

5,626 posts, read 1,635,498 times
In case you missed it:

I'm an Italian mom under coronavirus lockdown. Here's what I wish I had done differently before things got bad.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM

24,649 posts, read 35,051,719 times
The most applicable experience I could offer would be the experience of being a military brat. A lot of kids had to end their school years early in my schools due to their parents being reassigned. Happened to me twice in 3rd and 10th grades. But at least as a brat you go in with that expectation somewhat so it is not that traumatic when something happens. This situation is uncharted territory and I definitely can see how much trauma this could bring kids.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:29 PM

9,198 posts, read 5,705,642 times
Yeah, this first week has definitely been adjustment. Mr.Ginge and I are both working from home for the foreseeable future, with the added challenge of now unexpectedly homeschooling our children for potentially the rest of the school year. Our district has switched to distance learning, which my high schooler is really struggling with.

We all kind of miss our regular routine, especially with everything except essential stores being closed, but it's been nice to have so much more time together.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:37 PM

9,198 posts, read 5,705,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's great. So from their perspective, they still have "school", but it doesn't come with any of the extras that they enjoy. Life has its disappointments. But this is how we all stay safe. I hope they have some fun built into their schedules, too, in whatever form that may take. I'm impressed with the NYC/NJ school system, but what about the kids whose parents can't afford a home computer, and the libraries are closed?
In my district, they are lending chromebooks or tablets to all students who don't have access to a computer, and the cable company is providing free internet access to any student who doesn't already have it. And the district is also still distributing free breakfast and lunch to those who need it.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:00 PM

13,464 posts, read 21,831,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments. What about advancement ceremonies? Graduations? Celebrating the start of summer and the days ahead. The slow wind down of the end of the year where you say goodbye to your friends, some you dont ever see again. Saying thank you to their teachers, their principals for raising and teacher your little people when you cant.

These things are so very sad. This is my son kindergarten year. Hes learning to read and write and do math. But hes also learning how to sit in his desk and pay attention, learning that sometimes you do what you dont want to do, learning to keep up with his papers and his lunchbox. Learning independence. And now I dont know if im even going to get to celebrate his completion of his first year of school, celebrate his achievement of going into kinder as practically a baby and coming out a big kid who doesnt need me nearly as much. Say thank you to the amazing staff of teachers and give them a small gift at his kindergarten graduation.

In a world gone mad, these things dont seem that important..but they are.
Sorry OP, I just cannot relate. i do feel badly for high school seniors. No final spring sport seasons, no proms, no graduation ceremonies and parties. Colleges have canceled graduation too. Elementary kids will be fine. Yes, they miss their friends, and their lives have been turned upside down. But my kids never looked at their grammar school yearbooks or art projects, those are things that matter more to parents.

The best thing we can do for school staff is to thank them via email for their efforts to keep the children learning online, as all the teachers I know personally are spending many hours doing.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:34 PM

6,984 posts, read 8,550,712 times
The stories and the memories they have may not be the ones they imagined, but they will have memories.

Our school district is creating a plan for students to get books, meds, etc.

One of my nephews is a Sr. in high school. I fully expect they will come up with an alternate version of graduation. His graduation story won't be the same as his sister or his cousins. It will be unique and special.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 PM

15,993 posts, read 10,388,396 times
What good is schooling anyways without returning back to normalcy. We should probably keep our kids away from the public as much as possible to ensure everyone's health. It's a good time to bond with your kids and teach them this world event which is the greatest lesson.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:51 PM

1,792 posts, read 541,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's great. So from their perspective, they still have "school", but it doesn't come with any of the extras that they enjoy. Life has its disappointments. But this is how we all stay safe. I hope they have some fun built into their schedules, too, in whatever form that may take. I'm impressed with the NYC/NJ school system, but what about the kids whose parents can't afford a home computer, and the libraries are closed?
In NYC every kid who needs a laptop will get one.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:15 PM

1,860 posts, read 687,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I am also at work and just found out that Gov Cuomo in NY has decided that construction is more important than families and thus I am deemed essentiadl personnel even though I very much am not. My husband is working remotely somewhat and dragging our 6 year old to meetings. I am homeschooling between 4 pm and 6 pm and the rest of the time he just wanders around the house or sits in the car. Its not a normal existence for a 6 year old. This isnt sustainable
It is not ordinary.
It is not comfortable.
But it is necessary and like it or not, it is most assuredly sustainable.

I'd like to think that all of us, including and especially our children, will gain an immensely valuable life lesson from this most exceptional and wholly unexpected worldwide event.

Maybe some old character traits and values will emerge as not so old fashioned as before.
Maybe people will value human interaction, discipline, community, and family over 'stuff'.
Maybe we will learn to wait vs demanding instant gratification as a birthright.
Maybe we'll be a bit kinder and less cocky about our entitlements, what we 'deserve' vs what good we do and who REALLY loves us!

I believe we are at the core a decent, wonderful people.
This is a test.
Let us hope we and our children become better citizens for it.

So all things considered, a missed semester or two is small potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or