Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,243,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
It sounds like you and your husband both have good jobs.

Consider hiring a responsible neighborhood teenager who's also out of school to come over during the day to be with your son.

You could plan the activities and he/she could carry them out. Including the 4-6 pm school hours which you could oversee when you get home. Without actually having to conduct class yourself. And how hard could kindergarten work be.

Our great-niece (7) loves the Little Passports kits. Last fall when we got back from a trip to England she had put together a cardboard replica of Big Ben for us.

While working on it she learned about how much the bell weighed, how it was put in place in the tower and much more.

Perhaps you could start your son with NYC (subscription very affordable) and some famous buildings to construct, Flatiron, Empire State, etc. since his parents are in the construction industry. www.littlepassports.com

We can understand the extra stress on you with a child at home but still having to work.

School has become if not Life for kids, a lifeline for parents and it's very tough to do without.

Above all try not to complain emotionally in front of your son. Put your game day face on. Be cheery and bright for him. We'll get through this!

Cheers. This too shall pass.
Teenagers arent allowed to leave their houses. As per parents. They are social distancing.

I will DEFINITELY look into this activity.

Told husband to find time today to get the kid outside and running around. Hes going stir crazy

Old 03-20-2020, 09:00 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments. What about advancement ceremonies? Graduations? Celebrating the start of summer and the days ahead. The slow wind down of the end of the year where you say goodbye to your friends, some you dont ever see again. Saying thank you to their teachers, their principals for raising and teacher your little people when you cant.

These things are so very sad. This is my son kindergarten year. Hes learning to read and write and do math. But hes also learning how to sit in his desk and pay attention, learning that sometimes you do what you dont want to do, learning to keep up with his papers and his lunchbox. Learning independence. And now I dont know if im even going to get to celebrate his completion of his first year of school, celebrate his achievement of going into kinder as practically a baby and coming out a big kid who doesnt need me nearly as much. Say thank you to the amazing staff of teachers and give them a small gift at his kindergarten graduation.

In a world gone mad, these things dont seem that important..but they are.
Look at it as an opportunity to get your kids/ you to be creative: think how to celebrate those or some other milestones- the celebrations does not have to resemble the traditional graduation- it could be done virtually, or just your family, ask every kid in class to record a 30 sec video at home and then combine it into a movie!, etc, etc.
Good life lesson for your kids:
Make lemonade!

Old 03-20-2020, 09:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments. What about advancement ceremonies? Graduations? Celebrating the start of summer and the days ahead. The slow wind down of the end of the year where you say goodbye to your friends, some you dont ever see again. Saying thank you to their teachers, their principals for raising and teacher your little people when you cant.

These things are so very sad. This is my son kindergarten year. Hes learning to read and write and do math. But hes also learning how to sit in his desk and pay attention, learning that sometimes you do what you dont want to do, learning to keep up with his papers and his lunchbox. Learning independence. And now I dont know if im even going to get to celebrate his completion of his first year of school, celebrate his achievement of going into kinder as practically a baby and coming out a big kid who doesnt need me nearly as much. Say thank you to the amazing staff of teachers and give them a small gift at his kindergarten graduation.

In a world gone mad, these things dont seem that important..but they are.
I don't think you realize how petty this is to so many people with health issues and on top of that are now unemployed. Businesses are closing and some may never reopen.

You and your husband both have jobs and your family is healthy. You CAN pay your bills.

There are a lot of people right now who cannot say the same.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:16 AM

I get it guys, people are sick and you guys dont care that your children are missing out on thing. I am extremely worried, i dont think the kids should be in school. In fact I am in favor of a 100% shut down for 2 weeks or whatever is recommended to flatten the curve. NYC is new "epicenter" according to Di Blasio, there are thousands of undiagnosed cases. I am only working because they havent told me not too but once they do I will not be getting paid. I do not have a savings to draw on. I am grateful I am working and we are healthy.

But it is ridiculous to think that its the only thing that matters. People can be sad about the circumstances while also being grateful for them. I am grateful that I am working still but I am sad that I am not at home with my child. I am grateful that we are healthy but I am sad that my child is stuck in the house for everyones safety. I am grateful that people are trying to be responsible and not infect others but I am sad that my child can not go to camp and see his friends.

More than 1 thing can be of concern at a time. It does not have to be an all or nothing all consuming anxiety about this.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Correct! Focus on what we have, not on what we don't have.

Parents/Guardians are the role models....if they freak out, the kids will freak out.

A customer and her young daughter were at a local store; the mother wore a mask and was yelling:
"THERE'S NO ALCOHOL!!! IT'S ALL SOLD OUT!!! OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!"

Her daughter was so terrified by her mothers panic attack she was shaking and crying, "Mommy, mommy!"

I wanted to tell the mom to shut up but she would have freaked out even more and created more chaos.
Quote:
This has nothing to do with freaking out. My son is sad that he cant go to school as are a lot of children. I think that points toward the fact that the parents ARENT freaking out. Unlike my neighbors son who says oh my mom doesnt think i should be going anywhere because of coronavirus" and I havent seen him outside in a week. His mom is freaking out and making him paranoid. Other children are trying to figure out why they are being isolated and cant see their friends or go to school. Being trapped in the house sucks, But so does having youre entire routine upended unexpectedly.
Yelling and scaring the heck out of her young daughter has nothing to do with freaking out? Hopefully you're joking.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Yelling and scaring the heck out of her young daughter has nothing to do with freaking out? Hopefully you're joking.
I was referring to myself and I have not yelled about anything. And since the post was about missing school it is not the same as someone freaking out about the lack of alcohol.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't think you realize how petty this is to so many people with health issues and on top of that are now unemployed. Businesses are closing and some may never reopen.

You and your husband both have jobs and your family is healthy. You CAN pay your bills.

There are a lot of people right now who cannot say the same.
Very true.

#FirstWorldProblems
#StayTheF...Home

Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
I was referring to myself and I have not yelled about anything. And since the post was about missing school it is not the same as someone freaking out about the lack of alcohol.
If they close our liquor stores I will be freaking out.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If they close our liquor stores I will be freaking out.
True story. Luckily we are well stocked as my sister owns a distillery!

Old 03-20-2020, 09:48 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
Quote:
But it is ridiculous to think that its the only thing that matters.
Respectfully, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Please read this article:

I'm an Italian mom under coronavirus lockdown. Here's what I wish I had done differently before things got bad.

Quote:
More than 1 thing can be of concern at a time. It does not have to be an all or nothing all consuming anxiety about this.
Please read this article.

The Sober Math Everyone Must Understand about the Pandemic

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting