U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 09:49 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 23 days ago)

1,057 posts, read 362,907 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest thing is i need to not worrry about him playing video games or watching youtube. It worries me he will spend all day doing that.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:22 AM

237 posts, read 53,181 times
In our state social distancing is encouraged within reason.

Public parks are closed but neighborhood walks or outdoor play in backyards in the fresh air and sunshine are positively encouraged.

It doesn't prevent healthy neighbors visiting each other.

The recommended distance is several feet apart but I did the weekly shop yesterday at a smaller neighborhood grocery and there were lots of people in the store.

We're not completely house-bound. Just prudent.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:35 AM

Cuomo just ordered a shutdown basically so i guess next week, i will be home. Maybe working maybe not

Old 03-20-2020, 11:20 AM

3,264 posts, read 1,337,939 times
Times have changed. When I was in school, from grammar school through graduate school, the days leading up to finals and summer vacation were torture. Would have loved any excuse to get out of school early for the year. In 1970, due to the shootings at Kent State, the administration closed down the school and let anyone who wanted to to skip finals and get a Pass for the year. 95% of the student body elected to do that.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:24 PM

1,878 posts, read 692,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I meant that in perspective of the people saying "kids from previous generations did this or that" Obviously they did have worse situations but in a country that has not experienced a true great depression in 100 years a true pandemic in 100 years a true "great war" in 70 years, this is the only version of it 90% of people have ever seen. And saying of well kids were resilient through the Spanish influenza in 1918 or the great depression doesnt diminish that fact that child today lives have been turned upside down and even we as adults dont have a standard by which to measure what is happening. There are varying degrees of hysteria between no toilet paper and the man on tv saying this could last for 18 month to the people who deny it even exists and children dont understand really any of it. For them this is a devastating event. And depending on how long this goes on it could be a catastrophe for the adults too. Not just a health event but the economic repercussions too.
When you or a loved one dies, THEN it will be devastating.
Now it's only a terrible inconvenience which can (and will) frighten some children.
We adults can mitigate that fear with right actions.
So please, wait a while before you ratchet up the horror.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:40 PM

10,721 posts, read 9,396,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Respectfully, you are wrong. Dead wrong.

Please read this article.

The Sober Math Everyone Must Understand about the Pandemic

I understand his reasoning but his numbers are off. According to him, when this article was written, we had five known cases. Doing his math, we should not have close to 6000. We have less than a tenth of that.

Otherwise, good article.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:03 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,337,939 times
Regarding all the analyses of impending doom, what good do they do us personally? None that I can see. We can't personally create hospital beds or respirators. We can be locked down and take precautions against spreading the virus but they are not guaranteed to work for us as individuals or for family and friends. We can't control the economy. We don't know what the future will bring. It could be Armageddon or it could be a flash in the pan if the right medications are discovered. We are just spectators and participants in this sh*t show.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:08 PM

8,749 posts, read 4,701,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Excuse me??? Governor Cuomo ordered that all industries that are not considered essential are required to reduce to 25% and everyone else is to work from home. I am currently engineering a high rise, not a hospital or a school, a high rise office building and weve been told that construction has been considered Essential by governor cuomo because he caved to the pressure from the trades. And further, even though I COULD work from home they arent letting us do that because the governor has told them we dont have too. So yes he has decided that construction is more important that families and quarantine. And until my job closes or sends me home, I have to continue to work because if i dont we wont be able to pay our bills and as of now noone has told me i wont have bills.
You can explain it to yourself any way that makes you feel good but the only person deciding that you should go to work rather than spend time with your family is you. Your last sentence shows you have simply made an economic decision but choose to blame that decision on someone else. Own it.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You can explain it to yourself any way that makes you feel good but the only person deciding that you should go to work rather than spend time with your family is you. Your last sentence shows you have simply made an economic decision but choose to blame that decision on someone else. Own it.
I have ALWAYS made that decision. When I went to work after he was born I decided feeding him was more important than being home all day. Which is the exact decision every single person ever makes when they go to work. And being deemed "essential personnel" by the governor makes it impossible for me to make sure I still have a job when this is over unless I go to work. If he didnt decide high rise office buildings are more important than allowing people to go home without penalty, then yes I have to work.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:41 PM

387 posts, read 105,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Sorry OP, I just cannot relate. i do feel badly for high school seniors. No final spring sport seasons, no proms, no graduation ceremonies and parties. Colleges have canceled graduation too. Elementary kids will be fine. Yes, they miss their friends, and their lives have been turned upside down. But my kids never looked at their grammar school yearbooks or art projects, those are things that matter more to parents.

The best thing we can do for school staff is to thank them via email for their efforts to keep the children learning online, as all the teachers I know personally are spending many hours doing.
Yeah, Granddaughter was set to graduate on her 18th birthday. She has honors and awards. She will miss prom and had to cancel a Hawaii trip with her Mom and sister. She isn't complaining, but I know she is disappointed. I'm hurting for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or