U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 02:39 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,961,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The Governor has done no such thing. He has made the only sensible decision to close the schools and apparently you are working on a project that is deemed necessary and will keep people like yourself employed. If there is a choice between family and construction that is your decision to make.
Exactly. Anyone who is considered to he an essential worker needs to shut up and be thankful they still have a JOB.

I answer phones for NYSOH, the NYS Health Exchange. I have talked to MANY upset people already who have been laid off and now need to adjust their reported projected annual income to see if they qualify for lower-cost insurance.

I'm thankful that my job is essential and the company I work for (we contract with the DOH) has precautions in place like spacing people throughout the call center, remote meetings and training, and emergency sick leave and saying it's ok to stay home if you don't feel well.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
If he didnt decide high rise office buildings are more important than allowing people to go home without penalty, then yes I have to work.
He actually DIDN'T. Here's the criteria for essential construction:

Quote:
- skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers

- other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
https://www.news10.com/news/gov-cuom...=facebook_WTEN

What's going in that high-rise? If it's anything health services-related, it's definitely essential.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 03-21-2020 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 04:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 403,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Every kid who is complaining about current circumstances needs to be sat down and taught about Anne Frank and what she went through.
Or the parents and the kids sit down together to watch the movie The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Or the parents and the kids sit down together to watch the movie The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
Watched it last time Netflix had it. You DO NOT see that ending coming!

Old 03-21-2020, 05:35 PM

8,421 posts, read 14,047,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Every kid who is complaining about current circumstances needs to be sat down and taught about Anne Frank and what she went through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Yes..Or Nicky's Family. Very Inspiring and it ends with a movement of people deciding what they could do
to help others.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:45 PM

11,035 posts, read 10,171,349 times
Quote:
Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments. What about advancement ceremonies? Graduations? Celebrating the start of summer and the days ahead. The slow wind down of the end of the year where you say goodbye to your friends, some you dont ever see again. Saying thank you to their teachers, their principals for raising and teacher your little people when you cant.

These things are so very sad. This is my son kindergarten year. Hes learning to read and write and do math. But hes also learning how to sit in his desk and pay attention, learning that sometimes you do what you dont want to do, learning to keep up with his papers and his lunchbox. Learning independence. And now I dont know if im even going to get to celebrate his completion of his first year of school, celebrate his achievement of going into kinder as practically a baby and coming out a big kid who doesnt need me nearly as much. Say thank you to the amazing staff of teachers and give them a small gift at his kindergarten graduation.

In a world gone mad, these things dont seem that important..but they are.
That's your idea of "heartbreak"? I can't believe anyone would celebrate a child's first year of school, which seems to be setting him up to expect a life of constant rewards, instead of the ongoing march that school really is. And if they're in the same school district, I imagine it would be easy for the children to get together in the future. I didn't go to any "ceremony" until my college graduation and don't feel I missed out on a thing.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 PM

11,572 posts, read 4,639,825 times
Having this problem here too.

My daughter is in 8th grade. School here currently canceled until May 1st (well, they are e-learning), but will most likely be out of school the rest of the year. Our Superintendent already said to prepare for the cancelation of the 8th grade dance, 8th grade and high school graduation commencements, Prom, etc. These are milestones that students look forward to.

As we are all having our lives disrupted right now, children don't quite understand the way adults do and we have to remember that children can get sad and depressed over the situation also and need to make sure they are mentally ok with what is happening. Talk with your children parents! Help them understand what is going on and why we are doing what we are doing. It is so important!

Old 03-21-2020, 10:07 PM

11,594 posts, read 3,389,036 times
Quote:
Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments.
Celebrate those moments? What do you mean? 95% of kids walk or ride the bus home, and their parents don't do anything different on the last day of school.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 03-21-2020 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 03:05 AM

627 posts, read 554,802 times
I can’t relate to the OP either. My kids are 8, 10, and 12. They are having a blast. It’s been an extended spring break for them so far. Next week they are starting online school and it seems like it will be no big deal. The parents in my towns FB page keep posting “what to do with your kids” type posts and it is mind boggling to me.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,293,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That's your idea of "heartbreak"? I can't believe anyone would celebrate a child's first year of school, which seems to be setting him up to expect a life of constant rewards, instead of the ongoing march that school really is. And if they're in the same school district, I imagine it would be easy for the children to get together in the future. I didn't go to any "ceremony" until my college graduation and don't feel I missed out on a thing.
Kindergarten "graduation" ceremonies are a thing where I live. Both of my kids had them. They've since been in school long enough to understand that it's a long march. But that doesn't mean that they can't pause along the way to mark certain milestones. They also had a "bridging ceremony" at the end of 5th grade to mark the transition from elementary school to middle school. My son is in 8th grade this year, and I don't know what (if anything) they were going to do to mark the end of middle school. Not sure we're going to find out now.

It's not the end of the world, and it pales in comparison to all the other things that are going on right now. But this doesn't mean that it's somehow wrong for kids, and their parents, to be a bit sad to miss out on certain milestone events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or