U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:08 AM

11,947 posts, read 6,766,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
That's your idea of "heartbreak"? I can't believe anyone would celebrate a child's first year of school, which seems to be setting him up to expect a life of constant rewards, instead of the ongoing march that school really is. And if they're in the same school district, I imagine it would be easy for the children to get together in the future. I didn't go to any "ceremony" until my college graduation and don't feel I missed out on a thing.
Yeah I thought the same thing. Who we should feel badly for are the high school seniors. A 5th and 8th grader will simply move to the next school along with all of their classmates. The last semester of your senior year is a special time in your life, when it ends your life totally changes forever. THOSE are the students who should feel heartbroken.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 AM

1,086 posts, read 639,807 times
I think we've had such a long spell in our country with relative security and prosperity that we have lost perspective as to what really matters.

Having school end abruptly is sad. But it's not the end of the world. So much is dependent on how parents respond! If you focus on the sadness your kids will feel it too. If you refocus their attention to other activities they will be resilient.

I do feel the most sorry for high school seniors who will miss out on all of the end of school activities and graduation. And I feel similar for college grads who not only will miss graduation and saying goodbye to friends but have to enter this terrible economy with hopes of gaining employment.

I often think of my father who as a young child survived Nazi occupation in Europe. His family lost everything and he and his siblings were scattered to live with family and friends. They saw starvation first-hand and a true lack of essentials. Life had no normalcy for a long time. But they survived and later thrived, partly I believe due to their experiences.

No one wants their children to suffer even in the least. But we need to keep a proper perspective.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:03 AM

8,426 posts, read 14,054,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I think we've had such a long spell in our country with relative security and prosperity that we have lost perspective as to what really matters.

Having school end abruptly is sad. But it's not the end of the world. So much is dependent on how parents respond! If you focus on the sadness your kids will feel it too. If you refocus their attention to other activities they will be resilient.

I do feel the most sorry for high school seniors who will miss out on all of the end of school activities and graduation. And I feel similar for college grads who not only will miss graduation and saying goodbye to friends but have to enter this terrible economy with hopes of gaining employment.

I often think of my father who as a young child survived Nazi occupation in Europe. His family lost everything and he and his siblings were scattered to live with family and friends. They saw starvation first-hand and a true lack of essentials. Life had no normalcy for a long time. But they survived and later thrived, partly I believe due to their experiences.

No one wants their children to suffer even in the least. But we need to keep a proper perspective.
Great post..

The best way for a whole family to focus on what they have instead of what they don't have is to
help the less fortunate.
(there are ways to do this online during the outbreak)
Find a family that doesn't have enough food and help.
Find someone that has lost a child and encourage them.
Find a kid with cancer and support them.
Sponsor a Go Fund Me that the kids can relate to.
Find a nursing home person to correspond with.

The list is endless.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:12 AM

18,463 posts, read 19,228,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post

Very well said.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:13 AM

27,746 posts, read 19,620,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Its not the black plague. Its extremely serious and should be taken that way. But other things are important too, not just this virus. Particularly considering that the mortality rate in children is pretty much zero. School is cancelled to help slow down community spread not because children are in danger of dying.

I am sure she knows all that. I don't think people should be shamed for grieving the loss of normalcy in our lives, our routines and traditions. People are allowed to be sad that their kids are missing out on milestones. It doesn't mean they don't realize the importance of closures or are complaining about them or that OP doesn't realize how lucky they are to be healthy and have food. She is simply grieving the loss of normalcy, and it is perfectly natural at times like this, especially when that end has come about so abruptly. I would hope during this time we could at least be kind to each other.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-22-2020 at 11:28 AM..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:10 PM

15,317 posts, read 830,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am sure she knows all that. I don't think people should be shamed for grieving the loss of normalcy in our lives, our routines and traditions. People are allowed to be sad that their kids are missing out on milestones. It doesn't mean they don't realize the importance of closures or are complaining about them or that OP doesn't realize how lucky they are to be healthy and have food. She is simply grieving the loss of normalcy, and it is perfectly natural at times like this, especially when that end has come about so abruptly. I would hope during this time we could at least be kind to each other.
At some point reality has to set in. They have created a child and until it is old enough to be on it's own they have to deal with it.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:17 PM

27,746 posts, read 19,620,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
At some point reality has to set in. They have created a child and until it is old enough to be on it's own they have to deal with it.

I don't know what that even means. It sounds mean though. Again it is perfectly normal to mourn the loss of normalcy. It doesn't say anything negative about her as a person or as a mother.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:50 PM

16,600 posts, read 18,972,595 times
We have a high school senior and she is definitely sad about not having all her senior year activities.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM

8,426 posts, read 14,054,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We have a high school senior and she is definitely sad about not having all her senior year activities.
Not having senior activities is a much bigger deal than a kindergarten kid not having graduation.

I would not have minded missing senior activities but to some it is important.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:59 PM

16,600 posts, read 18,972,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Not having senior activities is a much bigger deal than a kindergarten kid not having graduation.

I would not have minded missing senior activities but to some it is important.
This was posted in our 12th grade facebook group.
Attached Thumbnails
The heartbreak of an unexpected end to the school year.-senior-ditch-day.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or