U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598

Advertisements

Nj has not cancelled the entire year just yet but it may happen.

I just saw a woman i follow on social media whose school district is out for the rest of year make a post about the sadness of the year ending unexpectedly in march. Her children are in 5th and 8th grade so this is their last year in elementary and middle school. They came home for spring break and never went back.

She is sad when reflecting on the little things we dont think about. It made me sad too. Her childrens lockers are full of their art projects and pens and little items they took to school. Their desks still have their work and their books. Her children are asking what about yearbooks? what about signatures?

She never got to walk out of the elementary school for the last time ever with her brand new middle schooler and celebrate those moments. What about advancement ceremonies? Graduations? Celebrating the start of summer and the days ahead. The slow wind down of the end of the year where you say goodbye to your friends, some you dont ever see again. Saying thank you to their teachers, their principals for raising and teacher your little people when you cant.

These things are so very sad. This is my son kindergarten year. Hes learning to read and write and do math. But hes also learning how to sit in his desk and pay attention, learning that sometimes you do what you dont want to do, learning to keep up with his papers and his lunchbox. Learning independence. And now I dont know if im even going to get to celebrate his completion of his first year of school, celebrate his achievement of going into kinder as practically a baby and coming out a big kid who doesnt need me nearly as much. Say thank you to the amazing staff of teachers and give them a small gift at his kindergarten graduation.

In a world gone mad, these things dont seem that important..but they are.

 
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 AM
 
8,528 posts, read 10,589,889 times
Reputation: 16117
you can celebrate the fact that they are still alive. Getting upset over these minor things is wasted energy.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 07:39 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
you can celebrate the fact that they are still alive. Getting upset over these minor things is wasted energy.
Its not the black plague. Its extremely serious and should be taken that way. But other things are important too, not just this virus. Particularly considering that the mortality rate in children is pretty much zero. School is cancelled to help slow down community spread not because children are in danger of dying.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:02 AM
 
Location: DFW/Texas
836 posts, read 781,428 times
Reputation: 3054
Got a 3rd and a 4th grader here and they are both asking daily to go back to school. We've had a lot of tears and questions from both of them about when they can go back to school and see their teachers and friends. My husband and I are telling them that this is a temporary issue that we all have to come together to help solve.
We are basically in mourning and that may sound dramatic but I don't care. We went on spring break and now school is over. It'd be easier to accept if our country was going into actual war/combat with an enemy we can see.

I have a few district insiders who say that we may not go back to schools until September. Six months. Six months of "homeschooling"- I put that term in quotes because, let's get real here, how much schooling is really going to be getting done with a lot of parents? My household is lucky enough to have me stay home (but I lost my job, too, as I work at a preschool and we're also closed) and I have some teaching experience so my kids will probably come out okay. But what about parents who still have to work and/or parents with no teaching experience at all? How will their kids fare?

Honestly, I do not believe that our society can sustain this type of separation and shutdown for more than a few months, tops. People can talk all they want about "containing the spread" and how "resilient" kids are but let's be honest: we're a social species and we need to be together.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Got a 3rd and a 4th grader here and they are both asking daily to go back to school. We've had a lot of tears and questions from both of them about when they can go back to school and see their teachers and friends. My husband and I are telling them that this is a temporary issue that we all have to come together to help solve.
We are basically in mourning and that may sound dramatic but I don't care. We went on spring break and now school is over. It'd be easier to accept if our country was going into actual war/combat with an enemy we can see.

I have a few district insiders who say that we may not go back to schools until September. Six months. Six months of "homeschooling"- I put that term in quotes because, let's get real here, how much schooling is really going to be getting done with a lot of parents? My household is lucky enough to have me stay home (but I lost my job, too, as I work at a preschool and we're also closed) and I have some teaching experience so my kids will probably come out okay. But what about parents who still have to work and/or parents with no teaching experience at all? How will their kids fare?

Honestly, I do not believe that our society can sustain this type of separation and shutdown for more than a few months, tops. People can talk all they want about "containing the spread" and how "resilient" kids are but let's be honest: we're a social species and we need to be together.
I am also at work and just found out that Gov Cuomo in NY has decided that construction is more important than families and thus I am deemed essential personnel even though I very much am not. My husband is working remotely somewhat and dragging our 6 year old to meetings. I am homeschooling between 4 pm and 6 pm and the rest of the time he just wanders around the house or sits in the car. Its not a normal existence for a 6 year old. This isnt sustainable
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:28 AM
 
11,148 posts, read 10,048,576 times
Reputation: 17142
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
you can celebrate the fact that they are still alive. Getting upset over these minor things is wasted energy.
Correct! Focus on what we have, not on what we don't have.

Parents/Guardians are the role models....if they freak out, the kids will freak out.

A customer and her young daughter were at a local store; the mother wore a mask and was yelling:
"THERE'S NO ALCOHOL!!! IT'S ALL SOLD OUT!!! OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!"

Her daughter was so terrified by her mothers panic attack she was shaking and crying, "Mommy, mommy!"

I wanted to tell the mom to shut up but she would have freaked out even more and created more chaos.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-25-2020 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: red font is reserved for mod notes
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:29 AM
 
8,469 posts, read 12,460,083 times
Reputation: 9659
For some yes.

I can tell you that when I was school aged, it would have been a blessing beyond belief and would have gladly have taken as many weeks quarantined as you could give me (and my lifestyle back then wasn't that far off from quarantine).

Of course ... in retrospect, those weeks are going to be made up somewhere.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Correct! Focus on what we have, not on what we don't have.

Parents/Guardians are the role models....if they freak out, the kids will freak out.

A customer and her young daughter were at a local store; the mother wore a mask and was yelling:
"THERE'S NO ALCOHOL!!! IT'S ALL SOLD OUT!!! OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!"

Her daughter was so terrified by her mothers panic attack she was shaking and crying, "Mommy, mommy!"

I wanted to tell the mom to shut up but she would have freaked out even more and created more chaos.
This has nothing to do with freaking out. My son is sad that he cant go to school as are a lot of children. I think that points toward the fact that the parents ARENT freaking out. Unlike my neighbors son who says oh my mom doesnt think i should be going anywhere because of coronavirus" and I havent seen him outside in a week. His mom is freaking out and making him paranoid. Other children are trying to figure out why they are being isolated and cant see their friends or go to school. Being trapped in the house sucks, But so does having youre entire routine upended unexpectedly.
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 AM
Status: "The ministers cat is an exhausted cat" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: NJ
1,051 posts, read 359,711 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For some yes.

I can tell you that when I was school aged, it would have been a blessing beyond belief and would have gladly have taken as many weeks quarantined as you could give me (and my lifestyle back then wasn't that far off from quarantine).

Of course ... in retrospect, those weeks are going to be made up somewhere.
funnily enough our children felt that way when they were talking about school being closed. Yay no school. But not that they cant see their friends or have any sleepovers and they just do computer work and watch netflix, they want to go back to school
 
Old 03-19-2020, 08:57 AM
 
8,469 posts, read 12,460,083 times
Reputation: 9659
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
funnily enough our children felt that way when they were talking about school being closed. Yay no school. But not that they cant see their friends or have any sleepovers and they just do computer work and watch netflix, they want to go back to school
Oh, not me.

I could have been glued to the computer, TV, and Nintendo for months. And we didn't even have internet back then. That was in high school though. Younger kids like school.

I assume classes will be made up during summer school, which I once had to take (for reasons other than failing), and that was no kind of fun.

I believe K-6 could possibly be homeschooled and then tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top