U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:18 PM

781 posts, read 112,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't know anyone that cans anymore. My grandmother canned everything though, she lived on a farm. They never went without food, even though they were poor. I read Jerry Hall's biography (model from Texas) and her family taught her how to can food and it was a regular thing they did.
Same here. I know of many older folk in and around my age... mid 50's, that do canning, but as for the younger generation, none.

Neat tidbit of info on Jerry Hall. Thanks for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 01:08 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,961,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Depending on where you live, you may well not have access to your own washer-dryer. It's really hard to manage cloth diapers without your own means of cleaning them, and even harder to manage frequent trips to a laundromat or community laundry room in a pandemic.
In NY State, at least, laundromats are considered to be essential businesses. But, seriously, I would appreciate it if moms would not use public washing machines to wash excrement-filled diapers, unless they want to clean the inside of the machine when they are done!

My mom used to wash them in the toilet, I believe. She didn't use cloth with me, but she did with at least my oldest brother, who was born in 1967 (I was born in 1974).

Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 5,178,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
In NY State, at least, laundromats are considered to be essential businesses. But, seriously, I would appreciate it if moms would not use public washing machines to wash excrement-filled diapers, unless they want to clean the inside of the machine when they are done!

My mom used to wash them in the toilet, I believe. She didn't use cloth with me, but she did with at least my oldest brother, who was born in 1967 (I was born in 1974).
Most people who use cloth diapers, have a system they use to clean the diaper, they don't put soiled diapers in washing machines.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:58 PM

781 posts, read 112,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

Washing soiled diapers at a Laundromat presents no health issues or woes for others.

As for remembering your mom using cloth diapers, she wasn't washing the diapers in the toilet, she was rinsing them out before putting them in the diaper pail. Diapers that have been rinsed out in the toilet have no solid waste left in them, they're simply stained, so laundering diapers in that state at Laundromats presents no health concerns or woes.

Diapers are normally laundered in the hottest water available, and along with detergent, bleach is often added, so by the time a full wash cycle is complete, there is nothing left in the way of bacteria in the diapers or drum of the washing machine to worry about.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM

1,334 posts, read 426,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't know anyone that cans anymore. My grandmother canned everything though, she lived on a farm. They never went without food, even though they were poor. I read Jerry Hall's biography (model from Texas) and her family taught her how to can food and it was a regular thing they did.
I still can (albeit mostly tomatoes and fruit these days); many of my friends both here in the city and back home in the small town/country in which I was raised do as well. My sister-in-law's family cans mass quantities of homemade sauerkraut as well. (So good!)

When I married, I asked for and received canning jars to add to my stash at both bridal showers.

Fun fact: some of the most popular items requested on our local Freecycle group here in Pittsburgh are Mason jars and other canning equipment. Cloth diapers aren't far behind when it comes to folks needing them or giving them away.

Back on topic: my mother used cloth diapers almost exclusively when she had her babies circa 1969-1976. Disposable diapers were for trips or emergencies even though my parents could have afforded to buy them.

I do feel badly for that overwhelmed mother. So much is happening right now. If I'd seen her in the store crying, I would have given her a long-distance hug then showed her how to turn an old tee shirt into a diaper just so that she could get by.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:46 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,961,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Washing soiled diapers at a Laundromat presents no health issues or woes for others.

As for remembering your mom using cloth diapers, she wasn't washing the diapers in the toilet, she was rinsing them out before putting them in the diaper pail. Diapers that have been rinsed out in the toilet have no solid waste left in them, they're simply stained, so laundering diapers in that state at Laundromats presents no health concerns or woes.

Diapers are normally laundered in the hottest water available, and along with detergent, bleach is often added, so by the time a full wash cycle is complete, there is nothing left in the way of bacteria in the diapers or drum of the washing machine to worry about.
Like I said, she didn't use them with me. My brothers are 7 and 5 years older than I am, and I think she only used cloth with the oldest.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:48 PM

24,539 posts, read 18,187,998 times
It probably wasn't just about the diapers. The diaper thing was more than likely the straw that broke the camel's back.

The way that people have been acting, it is very easy to get overwhelmed and stressed - you're just trying to do the simple things and some mob of jack wads are making it even harder for you to do that.

And if they aren't making it hard just to do normal things, some of them act like you've just been bitten by a zombie and are shuffling along yelling "braaaaaaiiiiiiinssss!!!!!!"

Heck, I got irritated when I went to get vegetable oil and found that it, too, was all out. I was so over it by then that I actually stood there in the aisle and said out loud, to no one in particular:

"Really people? Even the damn vegetable oil? YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ROOM IN YOUR HOUSE FOR ALL OF THE STUFF YOU'RE HOARDING! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU?"

Got a few stares that said, "Oh boy" (lol) and some sympathetic looks because they get it.

I'm incredulous more than anything else, lately. It's to the point that I'm starting to laugh at everything, because the whole thing is so beyond absurd.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:58 PM

5,627 posts, read 1,635,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is stocking up and there is obscene hoarding. For example I saw this lady buying 30 gallons of milk... My buddy proudly told me he bought FOUR 48 count packages of TP...
Another dude was buying a cart full of pasta.
The above is why I'm in favor of the death penalty.

I read in the Netherlands (I think) a store had an interesting approach to hoarding. Buy an item such as a gallon of milk? It's the normal price. Ring up a second gallon of milk? That second gallon costs 100 euros. A third? 300 euros.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:37 PM

722 posts, read 161,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The above is why I'm in favor of the death penalty.

I read in the Netherlands (I think) a store had an interesting approach to hoarding. Buy an item such as a gallon of milk? It's the normal price. Ring up a second gallon of milk? That second gallon costs 100 euros. A third? 300 euros.
^ I'm all in for it.
I'm ok when idiots harm themselves, but when they start to harm others there should be a huge payback.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:50 PM

16,003 posts, read 10,388,396 times
I was telling my wife, when I was a kid I watched my parents used reusable cloth diaper on my sibling. Many 3rd world country mothers also use towels and just keep changing them and washing them. 1st world problems sure is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or