U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2020, 09:55 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
5,577 posts, read 3,033,276 times
Reputation: 11110

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
The senior hours were created so seniors can shop IN SAFETY, not merely so they have first dibs on restocked shelves. Dad says he actually had to wait for certain items to be restocked, and that was DURING the senior hour, at a store that closes at 10 PM every night FOR restocking.

So, answer my question - where is it mandated that seniors can't buy for other people if they so choose to? My dad buys in TP and paper towels in bulk anyway even though it's just him and Mom in their house.

And where is it mandated that seniors can't go out on successive days and buy the same item in order to build up their own stockpile? And then give some of that stockpile to someone else who is struggling to source that item?

Is there REALLY any difference between those scenarios?

I'll just sit here and watch your head explode trying to answer those.
Adult children should be helping their parents in this crisis, not the other way around.

The seniors who do need to buy something should be shopping only for themselves, not for their whiny adult children won't either go out and buy their own stuff or won't shop online for themselves and their parents.

Why aren't you insisting your Dad stay home and take care of himself and your Mom so that they won't get this awful disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2020, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale
1,501 posts, read 763,112 times
Reputation: 2665
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
This is a tough time for people. Having 4 kids can make anyone break down in even good times.

That said, children were raised before disposable diapers - they are a modern convenience. The mother is exhausted and has reached her point of a stressful situation. Again, 4 kids is a lot to handle and the disruption to the normal, already overwhelming routine, has reached its climax. She needs to take a few deep breaths, step back, and improvise - cloth diapers.

A level headed support system helps.
Although it's been decades, I have memories of disposable diapers being uncommon in the early to mid 1970s in rural areas. Disposable diapers were indeed common in more affluent areas. The items are a modern convenience. I recall parents often had cloth diapers with pins especially in areas of poverty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloth_diaper

To be fair, it must be very stressful for parents in the times of a pandemic with coronavirus. I always felt leery about rushing into marriage and parenthood despite having chances at various points of my life. I felt like the stress would just jump exponentially at some point in the near future. It certainly is happening now for many parents with a recession, quarantine (in some places), loss of income, illness, limited supplies, etc. It's the perfect storm of parental stress.

But if they survive they will be stronger for it. And more prepared. For now, it's like a category 5 hurricane where one just has to somehow weather the storm.

With that said, supplies have been coming back up to inventory. My local grocer actually got a truckload of paper supplies today (you know what I mean). It was gone quickly, but they are coming if one just asks around. Timing is key though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Watervliet, NY
4,808 posts, read 1,961,478 times
Reputation: 8878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Adult children should be helping their parents in this crisis, not the other way around.

The seniors who do need to buy something should be shopping only for themselves, not for their whiny adult children won't either go out and buy their own stuff or won't shop online for themselves and their parents.

Why aren't you insisting your Dad stay home and take care of himself and your Mom so that they won't get this awful disease?
You're funny. Me, trying to tell MY father what to do with his life. That's a laugh. You clearly only know seniors who have mentally deteriorated from what they were in their younger years, and have a hard time speaking for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 AM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was telling my wife, when I was a kid I watched my parents used reusable cloth diaper on my sibling. Many 3rd world country mothers also use towels and just keep changing them and washing them. 1st world problems sure is interesting.
First world problems, or first world stupidity, I'm not sure which it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 AM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Although it's been decades, I have memories of disposable diapers being uncommon in the early to mid 1970s in rural areas. Disposable diapers were indeed common in more affluent areas. The items are a modern convenience. I recall parents often had cloth diapers with pins especially in areas of poverty.
You captured the very essence of our community back in the day (poorer areas), which is where we were living at the time our oldest was born (1983).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM
 
Location: NJ
13,183 posts, read 22,896,266 times
Reputation: 12164
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I saw on the internet today, a woman who has 16 kids and is upset because she didn't stock up on food. Now she says, their shelves are bare due to hoarders. I'm wondering why someone with such a large family didn't already have a stockpile of food (crisis or no crisis). She should have already had pantries filled with all kinds of canned and packaged foods. One would think that a person with 16 children would do more planning and preparing.

https://news.yahoo.com/jeni-bonell-a...132918546.html
In the article, it says she couldn't stock up on food because she didn't have the cash to do that.

I'm afraid things are only going to get worst in Australia because they're denying ships to drop supplies at certain ports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
39,553 posts, read 48,747,605 times
Reputation: 67430
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I definitely don't judge people who are buying lots of stuff. They might have big families or something.
I must disagree a bit. Yesterday, DH was at a store just as they put 6 @4-5# packages of ground beef out. He took one and another lady took two. I think taking 2 when there are a total of 5, in an otherwise empty meat case, is rude and inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 03:02 PM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I must disagree a bit. Yesterday, DH was at a store just as they put 6 @4-5# packages of ground beef out. He took one and another lady took two. I think taking 2 when there are a total of 5, in an otherwise empty meat case, is rude and inconsiderate.
I think differently.


- Could it be the lady was cooking that evening for a large family or gathering?


- Could it be she was making a dish that required more than a single package of ground beef?


- Could it be the lady seldom get's out shopping, so she picked up an additional package of beef to have on hand for in the future?


Now had the women snatched up all in the case, now that in my opinion would have been inconsiderate, but simply taking what she needed, if it so happens to be that she indeed was taking what she truly needed, well then I have no beef (pardon the pun) with that.


That's the problem when events such as the one the world is dealing with right now arise, because suddenly, thanks to those that hoard and over-buy, it gives those in need of, who are only fulfilling their own basic personal needs, a bad name. Suddenly, just because I'm buying two bags of onions, or two packages of ground beef, or two bags of oranges, I'm hoarding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2020, 04:15 PM
 
13,466 posts, read 21,834,209 times
Reputation: 36964
All of the above. Or, they are providing a meal for the local first responders, or filling an urgent request from the local food pantry.

People need to shop for what they need, and keep their eyes on their own carts. We need to think the best of people right now, not the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2020, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
39,553 posts, read 48,747,605 times
Reputation: 67430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
I think differently.


- Could it be the lady was cooking that evening for a large family or gathering?


- Could it be she was making a dish that required more than a single package of ground beef?


- Could it be the lady seldom get's out shopping, so she picked up an additional package of beef to have on hand for in the future?


Now had the women snatched up all in the case, now that in my opinion would have been inconsiderate, but simply taking what she needed, if it so happens to be that she indeed was taking what she truly needed, well then I have no beef (pardon the pun) with that.


That's the problem when events such as the one the world is dealing with right now arise, because suddenly, thanks to those that hoard and over-buy, it gives those in need of, who are only fulfilling their own basic personal needs, a bad name. Suddenly, just because I'm buying two bags of onions, or two packages of ground beef, or two bags of oranges, I'm hoarding.
First off, gatherings are prohibited, and these were 5# packages, so I still say it was inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top