Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
(snip)
People need to shop for what they need, and keep their eyes on their own carts. We need to think the best of people right now, not the worst.
Excellent points. When my niece goes grocery shopping she is buying food for her own family, as well as her elderly parents (both mid 70s with severe health needs - including COPD and compromised immune system) AND for her MIL (early 80s with various health issues).
I was also hoping that she could buy some food for me, too (late 60s, cancer survivor, compromised immune system and numerous health issues) since I haven't left my house in two weeks. Our governor has placed our state on "Safer-At-Home" (shelter in place) for the next full month.

I wonder if my niece should wear a huge sign saying "I'm shopping for a family of five and FOUR elderly, house-bound relatives" ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM

2,861 posts, read 1,137,046 times
These people that film themselves doing the most mundane things in life have become irritating (in the least) to the point of unbearable (in the extreme). Just STOP. Anyone who is a responsible parent has a backup plan; prior posters have mentioned having cloth diapers at the ready. Another option is to employ a diaper service. But for God's sake, bawling in the middle of the store while filming yourself - in full view of your kid, who is going to model the behavior - is nothing more than an(other) display of ever increasing narcisstic behavior among society at large.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:04 PM

15,246 posts, read 12,889,108 times
I sit here patiently watching the people who believe they and their desires are the essence of reasonableness. It's everybody else that's the jerk.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:24 PM

797 posts, read 236,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
First off, gatherings are prohibited, and these were 5# packages, so I still say it was inconsiderate.
Could it be the woman was possibly cooking for someone she was taking care of who was sick or unable?

I like to try and draw positive rather than negative.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
These people that film themselves doing the most mundane things in life have become irritating (in the least) to the point of unbearable (in the extreme). Just STOP. Anyone who is a responsible parent has a backup plan; prior posters have mentioned having cloth diapers at the ready. Another option is to employ a diaper service. But for God's sake, bawling in the middle of the store while filming yourself - in full view of your kid, who is going to model the behavior - is nothing more than an(other) display of ever increasing narcisstic behavior among society at large.
Yep, excellent point regarding diaper service.

I worked as a mothers helper for a woman that did foster-care (late 70's), and she used standard home-laundered cloth diapers (washing machine laundered/line or tumble-dryer dried), but when she was saddled with several babies/toddlers in diapers at a time, diaper service it was in her house.

Dirty diapers were rinsed in the toilet and stored in a large plastic diaper pail kept in the porch, exactly the same as using home-laundered diapers, only no washing or drying to worry about. Twice weekly the service would drop-by to pick up soiled diapers while at the same time dropping off clean sanitized ones.

We went through a ton of diapers -- double diapered everyone regardless of age, and just like traditional home-laundered cotton-fold diapers, diaper service diapers were pin-fastened and topped with old-fashioned rubber pants. As for folding, next to none was needed when using the diaper service diapers, making for simple and easy changing even for a first-timer.

My guess is a few weeks of, or a few months of diaper service would be comparable to the price of what disposable diapers would cost. Money well spent, and the only one in tears would be baby when they'd wet their pants, because cloth diapers feel wet on a bottom, especially old-fashioned cloth diapers with plastic pants, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because as far as I'm concerned, babies got checked and changed more often when cloth diapers with rubber pants were used. Kids didn't sit in wet or dirty diapers for long, because they let you know it.

My kids used to kick their legs and pull at their rubber pants when in their cribs, when they were wet and wanting to be changed.

Last edited by Size18; 03-25-2020 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 04:52 PM

Seeing how we're on the topic of diapers, out of curiosity, who all raised children in, or occasionally used old-fashioned cloth diapers with rubber pants (and diaper pins) back in the day?

Also, how far back are you going, i.e., 1970's? 1980's? 1990's? Earlier/later?

Chime in if you did.

- 1980's through to the mid 90's in our house... youngest was still in his crib, and in old-fashioned cotton diapers, pins, and rubber pants (naptime/nighttime) summer of 1996!

Last edited by Size18; 03-25-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 03-26-2020, 07:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,221,833 times
Most stores impose limit on everything. Target it’s limit 1 or 2. Doubt you can shop for multiple people anymore.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Most stores impose limit on everything. Target it’s limit 1 or 2. Doubt you can shop for multiple people anymore.
Good! And about time!

A lady was directed out the exit doors of a supermarket I was shopping at a few days ago, because she came though a checkout, once, with a pack of toilet paper, with the limit being one per customer, then she revisited a second time with another pack of toilet paper, going through another checkout, and on her third attempt, the store manager (who was informed as to what was going on) made an appearance, took the pack of toilet paper out of her hands, and proceeded to show her the door.

At that point I'm all for public shaming!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:16 AM

609 posts, read 262,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Cloth diapers.

Yes, I know that many people say they are too much trouble, but if you are no longer working outside the home . . .
A lot of working moms use cloth diapers. It's not easier or harder to use them. Stay at home mothers don't have any more time, than anyone else does.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She made the video herself and publicized it, so she will need to be adult enough to realize that there is going to be criticism of her behavior.

What FLOORED me is that there were diapers in the store she went to - just not in the size of her child. Why couldn't she improvise and make a large diaper smaller, or put two diapers together to make a large one?

She is crying because she knows she is stupid.

And if you don't have toilet paper, you can cut up old t-shirts, and use that. And clean them afterward. Many people have done this for years because they don't want toilet paper clogging up their system and dry toilet paper does not get people very clean, anyway. It's actually a horrible method of cleaning oneself after using the bathroom.
Not this again!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57609189-post3711.html
"People need to learn to use cloth for toilet paper. Cut up old t-shirts and rags. I know many people who have done this forever. It's perfectly sanitary and cleans better than toilet paper does. I am getting tired of people who complain about not having toilet paper. I do not feel sorry for them." (PriscillaVanilla)

I'm older than a lot of people on here and I've had family that lived in a very rural area with no indoor plumbing and I never heard of that. It's totally disgusting.

As for diapers, if you've been using disposable you don't have a stash of cloth. Cloth diapers are not cheap to buy. They cost about $2 each at Walmart, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flat-Clot...dSellerId=7042 and "Today's Parent" says you need 4-5 DOZEN. Using the smaller number, that's 48, or $96. Say $100+ with tax. https://www.todaysparent.com/checkli...orn-checklist/ A box of diapers costs about $8.99 for 28 at Target. https://www.target.com/p/pampers-bab...19#lnk=sametab Plus the same issues with washing facilities. A social service agency my church supports says that many of their clients can't afford a 14 day supply.

That price is for the very basic diaper, not the ones with the fancy velcro closures and the like. A larger size might work in a pinch, but I don't know how you'd put two that are too small together and have it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting