U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2020, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
48,404 posts, read 46,693,254 times
Reputation: 94774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwogirlsRmine84 View Post
Way too young..
No it's not.

My youngest son potty trained at 18 mos. He wanted to be like his older brothers, who potty-trained at 2 and a half. An experienced parent can clue in to the signs that your kid needs to go to the bathroom and redirect him there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2020, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Dover, DE
1,956 posts, read 4,023,969 times
Reputation: 3038
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Lots of People are stressed right now, but they don't feel they have to make a video of themselves crying and then post it on the internet.

Maybe she was hoping that soft hearted people would send her money.
These were my thoughts exactly. There was absolutely no reason she had to video herself and then upload to the internet. She's an adult and if she wanted to break down and cry (like I'm sure many people want to do) then go home, put your kids down for a nap and go into your own bedroom and shut the door and get it all out without plastering it all over the internet. Then pull yourself together and figure out which answer you want to use. She just wanted pity and hoping that someone gave her some or some money. It's a fairly standard thing nowadays, just look at GoFundMe and the other "gimme, gimme, gimme" online sites that you can set up for yourself to ask for money.

Believe me there are many, many people worse off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:38 PM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No it's not.

My youngest son potty trained at 18 mos. He wanted to be like his older brothers, who potty-trained at 2 and a half. An experienced parent can clue in to the signs that your kid needs to go to the bathroom and redirect him there.
Yes and no. Every kid is not the same, so just because one child trains at 15 months, or 18 months, or whatever age, doesn't mean that all children are ready to be trained by that age/stage.

My mom always said, it wasn't the children who were toilet trained back in the 50's and 60's, it was the mothers, because wet and dirty pants and/or accidents was (more often than not) met with discipline/punishment, and in my view that's not training, that's abuse and conditioning. So happy to see that era left behind in the past.

With my own kids, I let them tell/show me when they were ready. Two daytime trained in their late 2's, two others daytime trained in their early 3's, and my last and youngest two wore diapers into their 4's.

I'm a 1960's baby and wasn't trained until my mid 2's, and remember being shamed and chastised for accidents that happened through the night. No kid needs that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:41 PM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
These were my thoughts exactly. There was absolutely no reason she had to video herself and then upload to the internet. She's an adult and if she wanted to break down and cry (like I'm sure many people want to do) then go home, put your kids down for a nap and go into your own bedroom and shut the door and get it all out without plastering it all over the internet. Then pull yourself together and figure out which answer you want to use. She just wanted pity and hoping that someone gave her some or some money. It's a fairly standard thing nowadays, just look at GoFundMe and the other "gimme, gimme, gimme" online sites that you can set up for yourself to ask for money.

Believe me there are many, many people worse off.
My sentiment to a T. We really do live in a ME, MYSELF, and I world today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
48,404 posts, read 46,693,254 times
Reputation: 94774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post

Yes and no. Every kid is not the same, so just because one child trains at 15 months, or 18 months, or whatever age, doesn't mean that all children are ready to be trained by that age/stage.
I figured that was a given.

My comment was in response to a poster who said it's unilaterally too young to train, because that's NOT true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I figured that was a given.

My comment was in response to a poster who said it's unilaterally too young to train, because that's NOT true.
My intent wasn't for my reply to come across as sounding as if I was attempting to undermine your post, I was just rattling off a few things I had in my head, so please don't take it that way.

This has been a really enjoyable conversation so far with a lot of great content.

Do want to add, totally great you enjoyed early training in your home. Seeing a child so independent already at such a young age is definitely something to be happy about. I would have loved to enjoy the same, but my kids had other ideas. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM
 
Location: New Yawk
9,198 posts, read 5,705,642 times
Reputation: 15218
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
I saw this video and totally felt bad for this mother. We are living in an unprecedented time. Once upon a time not so long ago, things were "normal" and this mom could walk into the store and buy diapers for her baby. Now she can't. I totally understand how she feels. It's more about people and their selfishness than the diapers. People are hoarding unnecessarily & her family is paying the price.
Seriously. All of this tongue-clucking about "young mothers today" (as if the fathers bear no responsibility) is really mean-spirited and unhelpful. So many parents have had their worlds, their routines, and their support systems turned upside with hardly any notice; a mini freak-out in the diaper aisle is probably less about the diapers than about suddenly having to scramble with so many changes at once.

Alright, so a lot of parents aren't familiar with cloth diapering. Big deal; their parents probably didn't use them either. I'll never forgot my own mother's horrified reaction to my choosing to cloth diaper: (mind you, this is a woman who birthed me in the 70s, living in a back-to-nature commune with no modern conveniences) "Ugh, why?? I strapped on cross-country skis and gladly hoofed it to Grand Union for a package of Pampers!" My grandma's reaction was more colorful, but just as unenthusiastic, especially as someone who cloth-diapered twins in the days when only rich people could afford disposable diapers: "I would have sold my farfallina on the street if it would have saved me from washing all of those [mod]deleted[/mod] diapers!"

Last edited by june 7th; 04-02-2020 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 02:56 PM
 
7,547 posts, read 5,103,599 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
My sentiment to a T. We really do live in a ME, MYSELF, and I world today.
Agreed. Especially those who believe everyone should believe/think/act/behave exactly as they do because they’re convinced of their own self importance. They’re the epitome of the me me me it’s all about me gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 03:15 PM
 
781 posts, read 112,443 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Agreed. Especially those who believe everyone should believe/think/act/behave exactly as they do because they’re convinced of their own self importance. They’re the epitome of the me me me it’s all about me gang.
Your reply confirms all to me that I already knew... the fact that it pains today's younger generation when older generation folk hand-down a little old-fashioned reason, minus a spoon full of sugar.

I feel so sorry for babies and young and growing children nowadays. Can't imagine what this world will sink to in another 20-30 years.

Packaged food... packaged diapers, where does it end. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2020, 03:37 PM
 
7,547 posts, read 5,103,599 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Your reply confirms all to me that I already knew... the fact that it pains today's younger generation when older generation folk hand-down a little old-fashioned reason, minus a spoon full of sugar.

I feel so sorry for babies and young and growing children nowadays. Can't imagine what this world will sink to in another 20-30 years.

Packaged food... packaged diapers, where does it end. Pathetic.
I’m part of the older generation (61) so my opinion confirms nothing you think you “know”. I just dislike judgmental holier than thou types regardless of their generation. I would find a 30 something being pretentious and condescending about an older persons lack of technical savvy just as obnoxious as I find older folks preaching about how young parents should best to handle baby sh*t.

I’m sure there were plenty of things we both did as young mothers that our grandmothers thought we should do in another way. Probably in the way they did them. Fortunately for me, my grandmother was a kind soul and would have no more made me feel wrong about any of my parenting choices than she would have mud wrestled. I feel sorry for young mothers who get constantly judged and found wanting. Empathy is obviously going the way of cloth diapers. Pathetic.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 04-02-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top