U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 11:59 AM

9,574 posts, read 8,969,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Lauren Whitney was having a tough week when she went to her local Walmart to get diapers for her 18-month-old daughter, Rosalynd. But when she got to the aisle, there was nothing left in Rosalynd's size.

It was just too much for the mom of four from Washington, Utah.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-cries...210800057.html
I don’t have children but I have an abundance of sympathy for parents, and everyone right now.

Three months ago was Christmas, and now there is a global pandemic, shortages of certain basic necessities and bad news every single day. Add in concern for aging/elderly parents, people with other health issues, job lay-offs, schools and daycares closed, worrying about how to pay the bills.

I don’t blame her one bit for cracking under the pressure of something she can’t control. I’m sure she’s not the only one. I hope she was able to catch her breath and regroup in this uncertain time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 12:25 PM

781 posts, read 113,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I don’t have children but I have an abundance of sympathy for parents, and everyone right now.

Three months ago was Christmas, and now there is a global pandemic, shortages of certain basic necessities and bad news every single day. Add in concern for aging/elderly parents, people with other health issues, job lay-offs, schools and daycares closed, worrying about how to pay the bills.

I don’t blame her one bit for cracking under the pressure of something she can’t control. I’m sure she’s not the only one. I hope she was able to catch her breath and regroup in this uncertain time.
Back in the day, the 1970's and prior to, had a mother cried about not being able to diaper her baby, she would have been laughed off the face of the planet.

As a mother I'd be thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed at myself for admitting such a thing as not being able to find diapers for my kids.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:29 PM

2,230 posts, read 483,694 times
What happened to cloth diapers and washing in a tub with one of those old-timey hand scrubbers? Oh, I almost forgot. Everyone wants conveniences. The convenience society has ruined us all.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
What happened to cloth diapers and washing in a tub with one of those old-timey hand scrubbers? Oh, I almost forgot. Everyone wants conveniences. The convenience society has ruined us all.
I 100% agree! How right you are... today's disposable society has definitely done the world no favours.

I wonder where the mothers of the couple are. If it were one of my daughters crying over such, I'd be peeved!

Old 03-21-2020, 12:44 PM

12,803 posts, read 5,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Well said! My sentiment to a T!

I grew up in a home with many baby siblings, and by age 8, was changing diapers (cloth diapers, pins, rubber pants), and if an 8 y/o can do it, surely a grown woman can.
I agree.

I'm going to reserve my sympathy for people who are struggling right now without healthcare insurance, who may be losing family members to the virus, or getting sick themselves. A grown woman who is mad because she can't get disposable diapers doesn't even rank on my list.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree.

I'm going to reserve my sympathy for people who are struggling right now without healthcare insurance, who may be losing family members to the virus, or getting sick themselves. A grown woman who is mad because she can't get disposable diapers doesn't even rank on my list.
Well said!

Old 03-21-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In fairness, you can’t buy cloth diapers, safety pins and plastic pants just anywhere. And today’s cloth diaper systems are very expensive.
My opinion is, that is the moral responsibility of any/all mothers, to ensure both ends of their babies are taken care of - no matter what.

As PriscillaVanilla so mentioned, a little planning goes a long way... i.e., keeping a supply of old-fashioned cloth diapers on-hand for times of need/emergencies/etc.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:54 PM

20,764 posts, read 23,092,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A gentle reminder, not everybody is hoarding. Those 30 gallons of milk and the cart full of pasta just might have been purchased in response to the most needed items at a local food pantry. We update our list daily, as the need keeps growing.
You’re right. It’s possible. But I highly doubt it.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:53 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,968,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I definitely don't judge people who are buying lots of stuff. They might have big families or something.
I was just called "selfish" last night by a guy I know, a senior, because I had my dad, also a senior, buy me toilet paper during one of the "senior hour" sessions the stores are holding now. The stores are closing at 10 PM or so, restocking and cleaning, and then opening up with a hour of shopping just for seniors before everyone else is allowed to shop.

Dad bought me ONE package of TP, and 4 boxes of my favorite pasta. That's it. Yet my so-called friend whom I've known for 16 years told me I'm "selfish" because "the items he got for you could have gone a senior who really needed them" and I'm "ignorant of the people who really need those items."

Last time I checked we all do #1 and #2 and we all need to eat. Pasta is non-perishable, which is why so many people are buying it up. I've never been one to hoard, so I always buy only what I need. I've been able to source everything else except those two items.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he's worried about being 79 and working a job where his boss considers him essential (apartment complex leasing agent/manager) where Cuomo doesn't. I didn't respond to his blasting me (we were texting last night), and I think I'm going to go NC on him until this crisis blows over and he realizes how out of bounds he was.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Cloth diapers.

Yes, I know that many people say they are too much trouble, but if you are no longer working outside the home . . .
Too much work and too much trouble, yes, that's the story I so often hear as well, and I shake my head and laugh every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or