U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:13 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,293,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
My opinion is, that is the moral responsibility of any/all mothers, to ensure both ends of their babies are taken care of - no matter what.

As PriscillaVanilla so mentioned, a little planning goes a long way... i.e., keeping a supply of old-fashioned cloth diapers on-hand for times of need/emergencies/etc.
Really? Everyone should have known that diapers would be bought up in an orgy of panic buying, so one day they're there and the next day they're not? And someone who maybe has never used a cloth diaper in her life is suddenly expected to know where to find them and how to use them?

If a little planning goes a long way, a little compassion for people in circumstances other than your own goes even longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 09:35 AM

12,559 posts, read 5,980,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
I firmly believe that pure laziness today is what guides the use of disposable diapers, not the fact that cloth diapers don't work.
Cloth diapers are a PITA. The first pee and they are soaked and all the baby's clothes & bedding have to be changed. If you use plastic pants over the diaper it just keeps the wetness pressed against the baby's skin causing diaper rash. Disposable diapers are a wonderful invention HOWEVER, in a pinch, cloth diapers will do. I can understand a mom's breaking down. Maybe for her it was the last straw. It's got to be stressful having babies & young children and dealing with all of this.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 5,178,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Really? Everyone should have known that diapers would be bought up in an orgy of panic buying, so one day they're there and the next day they're not? And someone who maybe has never used a cloth diaper in her life is suddenly expected to know where to find them and how to use them?
Yes, a lot of moms I know keep cloth diapers around in case they run out of disposables. I had twins and I stocked up on both kinds of diapers right away. There are many stores that sell cloth diapers, Target, etc. They are widely available.

I don't feel sorry for this woman having a tantrum in the store because the store ran out of something. There are bigger problems going on right now. It's not all about her. Right now, I'm extending my compassion to people who are sick or losing loved ones. Or people who are elderly or immuno-compromised and they are taking a bigger risk by going into a store to look for things they need. It's a worse situation for them when they take that risk, and then find out the store doesn't have what they need in stock.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,957,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, a lot of moms I know keep cloth diapers around in case they run out of disposables. I had twins and I stocked up on both kinds of diapers right away. There are many stores that sell cloth diapers, Target, etc. They are widely available.

I don't feel sorry for this woman having a tantrum in the store because the store ran out of something. There are bigger problems going on right now. It's not all about her. Right now, I'm extending my compassion to people who are sick or losing loved ones. Or people who are elderly or immuno-compromised and they are taking a bigger risk by going into a store to look for things they need. It's a worse situation for them when they take that risk, and then find out the store doesn't have what they need in stock.
Oh, you think her tears were just about a lack of diapers.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 5,178,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Oh, you think her tears were just about a lack of diapers.
Everyone else has the same problems she does right now. I do NOT have to feel sorry for her, period!!!!

Go ahead and flame and shame away. I really do not care.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,277,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Maybe this is the time to start potty training!
Our daughter taught herself at 18 months. We put a potty in the hall where she could see herself in the mirror. Also, what about cloth diapers? That is what we used with her. My grandma made them with thick cotton. My husband used them for shop rags after she was potty trained.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:29 AM

10,697 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I was just called "selfish" last night by a guy I know, a senior, because I had my dad, also a senior, buy me toilet paper during one of the "senior hour" sessions the stores are holding now. The stores are closing at 10 PM or so, restocking and cleaning, and then opening up with a hour of shopping just for seniors before everyone else is allowed to shop.

Dad bought me ONE package of TP, and 4 boxes of my favorite pasta. That's it. Yet my so-called friend whom I've known for 16 years told me I'm "selfish" because "the items he got for you could have gone a senior who really needed them" and I'm "ignorant of the people who really need those items."

Last time I checked we all do #1 and #2 and we all need to eat. Pasta is non-perishable, which is why so many people are buying it up. I've never been one to hoard, so I always buy only what I need. I've been able to source everything else except those two items.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he's worried about being 79 and working a job where his boss considers him essential (apartment complex leasing agent/manager) where Cuomo doesn't. I didn't respond to his blasting me (we were texting last night), and I think I'm going to go NC on him until this crisis blows over and he realizes how out of bounds he was.
I think the senior was absolutely correct.

Get out and get your own TP and pasta like the rest of us have done and leave the pasta and TP for a senior.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:25 PM

289 posts, read 62,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
True, being resourcefull is sometimes needed. I do understand the moms dilemma.
I had a meltdown this week just trying to get a box of sugar. It really wasn't about the sugar though....it was about the gluttony some shoppers exhibited in taking more then needed. I simply do not come from that mindset. If anything I am vigilant in understanding that others may need it while I just may want it.
Good point. I recall feeling like I found a rainbow the other day when I found a small bottle of Clorox in a store off the beaten path. Glad I didn't cry though. Times they are a changing as are our priorities. We have forgotten as a culture how to improvise. That used to be our strength.

Most of my friends are very liberal woke folks. One couple in particular preached to me for years about environment before they had their first child. On the top of their baby register was synthetic diapers. I just shake my head. Occasionally if friends request only diapers, I'll comply, but it still gives me pause when they opt for something that's so horrible for our landfills yet they're all over plastic straws and disposable bags at the grocer. Seems hypocritical and destructive to the very things they support.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,961,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think the senior was absolutely correct.

Get out and get your own TP and pasta like the rest of us have done and leave the pasta and TP for a senior.
I work an essential job, sweetie, signing people up for health insurance on the NY exchange, putting a 40+ hour week. I don't have time to loiter around grocery stores waiting for stockers to refill the shelves. Nor do I have the time for driving all over creation trying to source one item.

Not to mention there is NO MANDATE on a senior buying for someone else, or for a senior to not be allowed to buy their allotment of restricted items like TP on multiple days and give some of it away. If my dad had bought the items for himself and then gave them to me there would be no difference between that and him making a special trip for me.

My dad bought me ONE package of TP, which is less than a shopper's allotment (I think the limit is 2 packages), and 4 boxes of pasta, which is not a restricted item and is hard to find because it is non-perishable. That's hardly taking more than my share.

And lastly, let's not forget my dad is 80, therefore most certainly a, senior, and he had NO PROBLEM shopping for me. If he thought it was wrong, he could have said no. He's not a Boomer, he remembers the days when people did what they had to in order to take care of their own. And he certainly does do just that. Always has.

But oh yes, somehow I'm the one who's wrong.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 03-22-2020 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 05:09 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,834,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I work an essential job, sweetie, signing people up for health insurance on the NY exchange, putting a 40+ hour week. I don't have time to loiter around grocery stores waiting for stockers to refill the shelves. Nor do I have the time for driving all over creation trying to source one item.

Not to mention there is NO MANDATE on a senior buying for someone else, or for a senior to buy their allotment of restricted items like TP on multiple days and give some of it away. If my dad had bought the items for himself and then gave them to me there would be no difference between that and him making a special trip for me.

My dad bought me ONE package of TP, which is less than a shopper's allotment (I think the limit is 2 packages), and 4 boxes of pasta, which is not a restricted item and is hard to find because it is non-perishable. That's hardly taking more than my share.
The purpose of the "senior hours" is to allow older people to shop in a less crowded, theoretically safer, environment. It isn't to restrict anybody's purchases. My husband qualifies for the special hours, and he checks with our son, who still works 50+ hours a week, to see if he needs anything. I see nothing wrong with it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or