U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 05:26 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,966,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The purpose of the "senior hours" is to allow older people to shop in a less crowded, theoretically safer, environment. It isn't to restrict anybody's purchases. My husband qualifies for the special hours, and he checks with our son, who still works 50+ hours a week, to see if he needs anything. I see nothing wrong with it either.
Exactly.

I think my friend who objected is under his own stress, because he is 79, and runs the leasing office of an apartment complex. His boss seems to think it is an essential business, while I've seen the list of what Albany is considering essential, and leasing office and are not it.

Not surprising, his boss is a millionaire but doesn't put a whole lot of $$$ back into the 4 complexes he owns to make improvements, and he was basically the catalyst for Albany County's predatory towing law back in 2006.

If you want to be considered an essential business in NY during this shutdown, you have to apply for that, not assume it on your own. Sounds like his boss is doing just that, assuming, and putting a senior-age employee at risk. I think my friend's snapping at me was a case of misplaced aggression.

Well, I'm going to let him cool down, even if it takes the whole pandemic for him to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM

10,720 posts, read 9,392,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I work an essential job, sweetie,

But oh yes, somehow I'm the one who's wrong.
A. I'm not your sweetie.

B. You're not the only one working an essential job.

C. Yes, you are wrong.

The whole purpose is for the seniors to do their shopping.

Just think if every senior was buying for someone else.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:33 PM

781 posts, read 113,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Cloth diapers are a PITA. The first pee and they are soaked and all the baby's clothes & bedding have to be changed. If you use plastic pants over the diaper it just keeps the wetness pressed against the baby's skin causing diaper rash. Disposable diapers are a wonderful invention HOWEVER, in a pinch, cloth diapers will do. I can understand a mom's breaking down. Maybe for her it was the last straw. It's got to be stressful having babies & young children and dealing with all of this.
Have no idea what you were doing wrong when you cloth diapered, but applying two diapers to baby's bottom and topping with rubber pants worked wonders in keeping my kids dry and comfy, along with crib bedding and outer clothes clean and dry.

Diaper rash is the price baby pays for wearing diapers, albeit cloth or disposable, with some kids being more susceptible to rashes than others.

As for cloth diapers being a PITA, I never found such and raised 6 kids in them. If cloth diapers were such a PITA, I wouldn't have repeated using them baby after baby.

Old 03-22-2020, 06:34 PM

781 posts, read 113,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Everyone else has the same problems she does right now. I do NOT have to feel sorry for her, period!!!!

Go ahead and flame and shame away. I really do not care.
I'm right there with you!

No sympathy from me either.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:19 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,537,010 times
Default Diapers! I don't need no stinking diapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Lauren Whitney was having a tough week when she went to her local Walmart to get diapers for her 18-month-old daughter, Rosalynd. But when she got to the aisle, there was nothing left in Rosalynd's size.

It was just too much for the mom of four from Washington, Utah.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-cries...210800057.html

What I said.
Attached Thumbnails
Mom cries in viral video when she can't find diapers to buy.-3-21-2020-10-58-43  

Old 03-22-2020, 09:58 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,966,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
A. I'm not your sweetie.

B. You're not the only one working an essential job.

C. Yes, you are wrong.

The whole purpose is for the seniors to do their shopping.

Just think if every senior was buying for someone else.
The senior hours were created so seniors can shop IN SAFETY, not merely so they have first dibs on restocked shelves. Dad says he actually had to wait for certain items to be restocked, and that was DURING the senior hour, at a store that closes at 10 PM every night FOR restocking.

So, answer my question - where is it mandated that seniors can't buy for other people if they so choose to? My dad buys in TP and paper towels in bulk anyway even though it's just him and Mom in their house.

And where is it mandated that seniors can't go out on successive days and buy the same item in order to build up their own stockpile? And then give some of that stockpile to someone else who is struggling to source that item?

Is there REALLY any difference between those scenarios?

I'll just sit here and watch your head explode trying to answer those.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:51 AM

13,467 posts, read 21,845,418 times
The fewer people that need to go into a grocery store on any given day is a positive. If that means Grandpa and Grandma are shopping not only for themselves, but also for family members, they're lessening the exposure of the rest of the family. It isn't only seniors who are at risk!

Old 03-23-2020, 06:56 AM

13,191 posts, read 22,913,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Lauren Whitney was having a tough week when she went to her local Walmart to get diapers for her 18-month-old daughter, Rosalynd. But when she got to the aisle, there was nothing left in Rosalynd's size.

It was just too much for the mom of four from Washington, Utah.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-cries...210800057.html
She had a hard week where she was demoted, in the end was able to find diapers elsewhere. Apparently her husband is ex-military that's going to school full time. I wonder how they're even able to afford him going to school with trying to raise 4 kids on her part time job.

As was mentioned, she could have googled or even used a few apps, instead she did what people these days do, upload videos.

My son was born in 1985. I'm not sure if we had disposable diapers back then, can't recall. I do know that I did have cloth diapers on hand from my MIL at the time

Quote:
"So basically I've just had like a really rough week," Whitney told TODAY Parents. "I was demoted at work for a really stupid reason, and it just kinda created stress. I went to a few other stores first. I ended up at Walmart and I was just looking for diapers...and there was just none in her size anywhere. And I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back for the week

"There's so many people out there like myself that we, we don't get paid very much," she explained, adding that her husband is ex-military and a full-time student. "So, you know, we're low income families and so it's hard for us to be able to just go out and buy a large amount of things at one time."

"We've had a lot of negative ones," she explained. "People saying things like, 'Don't have children if you can't afford them' or 'why are you crying? This is nothing to cry about.'"

Whitney says many people also have asked how they can help, even offering to send money or diapers.

"I had to respond to every single one saying, 'Hey, we're fine. We're okay. I was able to find some,' but it's so wonderful to see all the positive comments."

Whitney said she's "really hoping that other people can just stop and think that there are other families out there that might also need things."

"I just hope that people can understand that by purchasing 10 or 20 boxes at a time, it leaves nothing for those of us that can't do that.
"

Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 AM

7,488 posts, read 5,942,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
She had a hard week where she was demoted, in the end was able to find diapers elsewhere. Apparently her husband is ex-military that's going to school full time. I wonder how they're even able to afford him going to school with trying to raise 4 kids on her part time job.

As was mentioned, she could have googled or even used a few apps, instead she did what people these days do, upload videos.

My son was born in 1985. I'm not sure if we had disposable diapers back then, can't recall. I do know that I did have cloth diapers on hand from my MIL at the time
If he is ex military - he is using the GI Bill. They pay for everything even books.

And they get a stipend too - easily over 1K a month.

He could also get a side gig

And since he is ex military - they are now allowed to shop at the military commissaries and exchanges. Probably better controlled places. If there is one near them.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM

7,488 posts, read 5,942,552 times
$1485 is about what hubby would be getting as a monthly stipend if the rules are still the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or