U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM

4,808 posts, read 1,968,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
I don't buy into today's bleeding-heart movement, there's far too much of that out there already.

Today's generation wants it all, and they want it yesterday. Marriage, kids, full-time jobs, the house on the hill, the white picket fence, a row of luxury vehicles at their disposal, family vacations, parties & get-togethers, and the list goes on. Times have changed. It's high-time young people learned how to plan and prioritize, and it's really high-time today's generation learned that there's more to life than disposable this, and disposable that.
And why the hell didn't the parents who birthed and raised "this generation" TEACH them to plan and prioritize????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM

9,528 posts, read 3,571,629 times
Just did a real quick check on Amazon. Disposable diapers and formula DO seem to be available.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:17 AM

781 posts, read 113,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And why the hell didn't the parents who birthed and raised "this generation" TEACH them to plan and prioritize????
That's been the burning question in me, where are the grandmas of this young family.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Just did a real quick check on Amazon. Disposable diapers and formula DO seem to be available.
I was just looking at flour-sack towels at Walmart a few weeks ago, could easily pass as standard fold and pin cloth diapers. Soft, 100% cotton, reusable.

A couple dozen flour-sack towels, a few pairs of rubber pants, a couple sets of baby diaper pins, and a plastic pail with a lid.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 AM

12,767 posts, read 17,628,471 times
Depending on where you live, you may well not have access to your own washer-dryer. It's really hard to manage cloth diapers without your own means of cleaning them, and even harder to manage frequent trips to a laundromat or community laundry room in a pandemic.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Depending on where you live, you may well not have access to your own washer-dryer. It's really hard to manage cloth diapers without your own means of cleaning them, and even harder to manage frequent trips to a laundromat or community laundry room in a pandemic.
Absolutely, I wholeheartedly agree, and depending on the water situation in certain areas, reusable diapers would also be a no-go as well, but in the short-term (a few days, possibly a few weeks), I believe cloth diapers are doable for most.

I remember there being a couple of occasions where my trusty Maytag broke-down, and off to my moms (or Laundromat) I'd go with plastic diaper pail in tow, and I even remember breaking out my old glass-front 1960's washboard a few times and scrubbing diapers out in the bathtub.

You do what you have to do to take care of your kids.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:36 AM

12,803 posts, read 5,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I saw on the internet today, a woman who has 16 kids and is upset because she didn't stock up on food. Now she says, their shelves are bare due to hoarders. I'm wondering why someone with such a large family didn't already have a stockpile of food (crisis or no crisis). She should have already had pantries filled with all kinds of canned and packaged foods. One would think that a person with 16 children would do more planning and preparing.

https://news.yahoo.com/jeni-bonell-a...132918546.html

Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I saw on the internet today, a woman who has 16 kids and is upset because she didn't stock up on food. Now she says, their shelves are bare due to hoarders. I'm wondering why someone with such a large family didn't already have a stockpile of food (crisis or no crisis). She should have already had pantries filled with all kinds of canned and packaged foods. One would think that a person with 16 children would do more planning and preparing.

https://news.yahoo.com/jeni-bonell-a...132918546.html
Boy, times sure have changed. When I was a young child, my mom canned yearly, and we had two 7' high wooden racks in the basement, the shelves stacked to capacity with jars filled with everything from garden grown green beans, fruit, sauces, and whatever else my mom could can, and with my dad being a hunter, we always had a healthy supply of wild meat in the freezer.

We were a family of 7.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Yes, a lot of moms I know keep cloth diapers around in case they run out of disposables. I had twins and I stocked up on both kinds of diapers right away.
I was just giving thought to this, and remember babysitting at certain homes in my later teen years where the moms kept a supply of both cloth and disposable diapers on-hand.

Having grown-up in a home with baby siblings, I helped my mom with their care a lot (always cloth diapers in our house), so as a sitter I always reached for the cloth diapers in homes that used both cloth and disposable, because not only was I used to using cloth at home, I much preferred the old-fashioned to the modern.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 PM

12,803 posts, read 5,195,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Boy, times sure have changed. When I was a young child, my mom canned yearly, and we had two 7' high wooden racks in the basement, the shelves stacked to capacity with jars filled with everything from garden grown green beans, fruit, sauces, and whatever else my mom could can, and with my dad being a hunter, we always had a healthy supply of wild meat in the freezer.

We were a family of 7.
I don't know anyone that cans anymore. My grandmother canned everything though, she lived on a farm. They never went without food, even though they were poor. I read Jerry Hall's biography (model from Texas) and her family taught her how to can food and it was a regular thing they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or