Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM

609 posts, read 262,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not this again!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57609189-post3711.html
"People need to learn to use cloth for toilet paper. Cut up old t-shirts and rags. I know many people who have done this forever. It's perfectly sanitary and cleans better than toilet paper does. I am getting tired of people who complain about not having toilet paper. I do not feel sorry for them." (PriscillaVanilla)

I'm older than a lot of people on here and I've had family that lived in a very rural area with no indoor plumbing and I never heard of that. It's totally disgusting.
Many people use cloth and have been doing so long before this crisis started. We use cloth for #1 and tissue paper for #2. It saves money and we launder the cloths.

Do you also find cloth diapers to be "disgusting"? Because those have to be cleaned and re-used too. Your attitude is extremely offensive.

Your attitude is what is the problem. In coming months, you may have to re-adjust what you find is "disgusting"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 03:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Many people use cloth and have been doing so long before this crisis started. We use cloth for #1 and tissue paper for #2. It saves money and we launder the cloths.

Do you also find cloth diapers to be "disgusting"? Because those have to be cleaned and re-used too. Your attitude is extremely offensive.

Your attitude is what is the problem. In coming months, you may have to re-adjust what you find is "disgusting"
Tell me how you really feel about me! I find your commentary about me extremely offensive.

I have never heard of using cloth toilet wipes, particularly for sh*t wiping (which is what the other poster was suggesting), and I've heard a lot. I've heard jokes about the Sears catalog, corncobs, leaves, and probably other items as well, but I've never heard of using cloth and reusing it, not in my lifetime, or even in my parents' lifetimes, which go back >100 years.

Here is a pattern and some ignorant suggestions from some lunatic:
https://www.frugallivingnw.com/reusa...et-paper-faqs/
The dumb cluck doesn't even bleach the sh*t wipes. "And bleach is so 1977, right?"

You might want to read this. Some previous cultures did use cloth, but some used their hands.
Before Toilet Paper

For the record, no, I don't find cloth diapers "disgusting", but they are inconvenient and unsanitary for some.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:21 PM

If you think it's so dirty, I can assure you that many people who use cloth and warm water after #2, don't have the kinds of hygeine issues that toilet paper users have. Such as dirty but cracks, track marks on their underwear, etc. Sorry toilet paper just doesn't get a lot of people that clean. I know as I have plenty of experience with butt wiping, both with my kids and in home health care.

I know people who use ONLY cloth and they aren't having meltdowns and tantrums in stores, the way we have seen over the past few weeks. Just join some of the non consumer facebook groups and you will meet some of these people.

YOu may never have heard of using cloth but I can assure you that plenty of people do.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
If you think it's so dirty, I can assure you that many people who use cloth and warm water after #2, don't have the kinds of hygeine issues that toilet paper users have. Such as dirty but cracks, track marks on their underwear, etc. Sorry toilet paper just doesn't get a lot of people that clean. I know as I have plenty of experience with butt wiping, both with my kids and in home health care.

I know people who use ONLY cloth and they aren't having meltdowns and tantrums in stores, the way we have seen over the past few weeks. Just join some of the non consumer facebook groups and you will meet some of these people.

YOu may never have heard of using cloth but I can assure you that plenty of people do.
I don't need to be on any more Facebook groups than I already am.

We are supposed to be talking about diapers, anyway.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:11 PM

19,651 posts, read 9,192,474 times
I know this is about diapers, but after reading a couple of recent posts, I just want to point out that there might be different and acceptable reasons for "hoarding" to at least some degree.

We are seniors, and we voluntarily ENTIRELY self-quarantining (meaning NO grocery runs) for the next eight weeks. Therefore, in the last two weeks, we have spent about $900, whereas our normal monthly grocery bill is about $600. So we have been having full carts, but we won't do any grocery shopping for two more months!

But even then, we took three gallons of milk to the clerk, who nicely told us that the limit was just one gallon. We immediately volunteered to take two gallons back (we missed the sign, if there was one), but she said No, she would let it slide, but we still insisted that we would only take the one, which we did. So my point is that if people know "the rules", they will probably abide by them -- or at least I hope they will!

(Btw, we did not buy any more than we thought we would use, and we did not buy ANY more toilet paper, as we have about 18 rolls at home, which should last us for two months.)

Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM

797 posts, read 236,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not this again!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57609189-post3711.html
"People need to learn to use cloth for toilet paper. Cut up old t-shirts and rags. I know many people who have done this forever. It's perfectly sanitary and cleans better than toilet paper does. I am getting tired of people who complain about not having toilet paper. I do not feel sorry for them." (PriscillaVanilla)

I'm older than a lot of people on here and I've had family that lived in a very rural area with no indoor plumbing and I never heard of that. It's totally disgusting.

As for diapers, if you've been using disposable you don't have a stash of cloth. Cloth diapers are not cheap to buy. They cost about $2 each at Walmart, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flat-Clot...dSellerId=7042 and "Today's Parent" says you need 4-5 DOZEN. Using the smaller number, that's 48, or $96. Say $100+ with tax. https://www.todaysparent.com/checkli...orn-checklist/ A box of diapers costs about $8.99 for 28 at Target. https://www.target.com/p/pampers-bab...19#lnk=sametab Plus the same issues with washing facilities. A social service agency my church supports says that many of their clients can't afford a 14 day supply.

That price is for the very basic diaper, not the ones with the fancy velcro closures and the like. A larger size might work in a pinch, but I don't know how you'd put two that are too small together and have it work.
3 dozen diapers to start for a single child is ample. As for cost, at $2 per diaper when you figure in how many times that single diaper will be, and can be used, $2 is as cheap as it gets and money well spent.

I find it ironic that mothers will complain over the cost of cloth diapers, but when it comes to disposable diapers, not a peep. I see it all the time, one, two, even three big jumbo packs of diapers stuffed into mothers shopping carts being pushed out the doors of stores, yet buying 3 dozen old-fashioned cloth diapers at $2 each -- equal to $72, is too expensive. Roll my eyes.

When my oldest was a baby (1983), a package of 12 flannelette diapers ran around $8-$9, that's in the neighbourhood of .66¢-.75¢ per diaper, and 3 dozen diapers lasted comfortably through two babies before the diapers started needing replaced. To put that into perspective, a typical baby requires approx. 7000 diaper changes, so multiply that by two, and you get 14,000 diaper changes for $72 (plus laundering costs). It's a no-brainer for those who reside in areas where water woes don't plague them and have access to a washing machine and dryer.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the mothers squawking the loudest over the cost of cloth diapers, or not having laundering facilities available to them, or how hard it is to use cloth diapers, and how time consuming it is to wash and fold cloth diapers, or how yucky it is to have to endure cloth diapers, have a Smart-Phone glued to their ears 24/7, but it's funny how that expense is seldom mentioned (if at all), and it's even funnier how 2-3 packs of diapers per month isn't expensive, nor is the package of cigarettes in their purse, nor is the weekly visit to McDonald's with one, two, three or more kids in tow.

When I see how today's younger generation lives, I see little in the way of prioritizing. It's all about living for today -- and living large, and if it isn't disposable or throwaway, the general attitude seems to be... uh-uh, no way, forget it, no way am I using/doing that.

As for the older generation and folk as myself, uh-uh, no way, forget it, no way am I going to, or about to feel sorry for a generation of people who aren't interested or willing to help themselves.

Last edited by Size18; 03-28-2020 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
I find it ironic that mothers will complain over the cost of cloth diapers, but when it comes to disposable diapers, not a peep. I see it all the time, one, two, even three big jumbo packs of diapers stuffed into mothers shopping carts being pushed out the doors of stores, yet buying 3 dozen old-fashioned cloth diapers at $2 each -- equal to $72, is too expensive. Roll my eyes.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the mothers squawking the loudest over the cost of cloth diapers, or not having laundering facilities available to them, or how hard it is to use cloth diapers, and how time consuming it is to wash and fold cloth diapers, or how yucky it is to have to endure cloth diapers, have a Smart-Phone glued to their ears 24/7, but it's funny how that expense is seldom mentioned (if at all), and it's even funnier how 2-3 packs of diapers per month isn't expensive, nor is the package of cigarettes in their purse, nor is the weekly visit to McDonald's.
You are right. The moms are just lazy to complain about not having everything disposable. And maybe the dads could start helping out, too.

disposable diapers also clog up landfills and don't bio-degrade. They basically just pollute the earth.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You are right. The moms are just lazy to complain about not having everything disposable. And maybe the dads could start helping out, too.

disposable diapers also clog up landfills and don't bio-degrade. They basically just pollute the earth.
You said it better than I ever could.

I recall coming across an article a few years back, where it mentioned mothers were leaving their children in the same diaper all day long, to cut back on diaper use, and some mothers struggling to afford diapers were even going as far as rinsing out dirty diapers (disposables) to get another round of use of them. My heart broke for those poor babies.

Equally disgusting are a few of the new disposable diaper commercials, where the makers of the diapers boast about their diapers being good for 12 hours. My goodness, a wet diaper is a wet diaper in my books.

With my own children, when bedtime rolled around, I'd lay them down in their cribs, and it was off with their rubber pants -- regardless of whether they needed their diapers changed or not. With cloth, it cost me nothing to change their bottoms, so out with the pins and a change of diapers it was, and knowing they were being tucked into bed for the night in a nice clean, fresh, soft comfortable diaper, made me feel good inside.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM

People who have meltdowns when they can't get what they want in the store, reminds me of people who break into yards in our neighborhood to steal people's fruit from their fruit trees and vegetables from their gardens. They are too lazy to grow it themselves.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
People who have meltdowns when they can't get what they want in the store, reminds me of people who break into yards in our neighborhood to steal people's fruit from their fruit trees and vegetables from their gardens. They are too lazy to grow it themselves.
Exactly, looking for an easy way out, hence the world of convenience we live in today.

As a side-note to all this... I shudder to think how children in homes of convenience are eating today. What sort of poor nutrition are they getting, on top of running around with wet and dirty bottoms.

Last edited by Size18; 03-28-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting