Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 09:50 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Cloth diapers and if there are no cloth diapers left on the shelves, dish towels or terry hand towels can be used. I suspect that no one is hoarding dish towels so there should be plenty of those available.
only problem is safety pins for cloth diapers aren't sold in stores anymore. At least to my knowledge....

My heart breaks for the mommas everywhere when they go to the store and the necessities they need for their baby is out. Babies need to eat and their diapers changed. I can't imagine being a parent or caregiver and going to the store and seeing empty shelves of where diapers, wipes and formula used to be.

Not every mother can breastfeed and cloth diapers doesn't work for everyone. Most daycare centers only allow disposable diapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 10:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Condensed milk has no nutrition and is not easily digestible.

Only 1900 years? What about all the years in BC?
Sorry maybe it was evaporated milk. I think with honey. But condensed milk has calories. I may not be the most nutritious thing but it’s better than nothing. The point is we have become so dependent on OTHERS getting the food for us we are basically that helpless. I bet if you handed the average person a live chicken and a knife they would be clueless as to what to do.

Those years don’t count. We were dragging our knuckles behind us and barely understood our opposable thumbs were for other things than grabbing excrement or rocks and throwing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A lot of people have only EVER used cloth diapers. Why can't she do the same? I have a supply of cloth diapers that I kept when the disposables ran out. I thought everyone kept cloth diapers around for emergencies.

The reason many people are "hoarding" is because they are told to quarantine themselves for a while. So that means they have to stock up on things, so they won't be risking their health making multiple trips to the grocery store. I think we need to stop judging people who are stocking up on things they need.

Almost every day there is a news story with someone upset because the store ran out of something.
There is stocking up and there is obscene hoarding. For example I saw this lady buying 30 gallons of milk. Forget that 30 gallons of milk take up a lot of room in a fridge. You can freeze some but they have a shelf life. There is absolutely no reason to buy that much milk.
My buddy proudly told me he bought FOUR 48 count packages of TP. I calculated on a one roll per week usage and it’s about 3.6 year supply. You really use one rol per week?
Another dude was buying a cart full of pasta. How much pasta are you gonna need?

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-20-2020 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 10:21 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I was given a formula made from condensed milk and Karo syrup. It was a recipe found in woman's magazines in the 50's. I developed a raging allergy to corn products that still causes skin rashs 62 years later.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
only problem is safety pins for cloth diapers aren't sold in stores anymore. At least to my knowledge....
Sure they are, I had quite a few of those pins.

But most people buy cloth diapers these days that have velcro, so no need to use pins.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sorry maybe it was evaporated milk. I think with honey. But condensed milk has calories. I may not be the most nutritious thing but it’s better than nothing. The point is we have become so dependent on OTHERS getting the food for us we are basically that helpless. I bet if you handed the average person a live chicken and a knife they would be clueless as to what to do.
?
There are people who don't even know how to cook or prepare their own food. They don't know how to be resourceful at all. That's why you see so many tearful breakdowns at the grocery store. People are acting helpless. My mother's family grew and prepared all their own food (meat, dairy and vegetables) and never used disposable diapers.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
A lot of people have only EVER used cloth diapers. Why can't she do the same? I have a supply of cloth diapers that I kept when the disposables ran out. I thought everyone kept cloth diapers around for emergencies.

The reason many people are "hoarding" is because they are told to quarantine themselves for a while. So that means they have to stock up on things, so they won't be risking their health making multiple trips to the grocery store. I think we need to stop judging people who are stocking up on things they need.

Almost every day there is a news story with someone upset because the store ran out of something.
In fairness, you can’t buy cloth diapers, safety pins and plastic pants just anywhere. And today’s cloth diaper systems are very expensive.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
There are people who don't even know how to cook or prepare their own food. They don't know how to be resourceful at all. That's why you see so many tearful breakdowns at the grocery store. People are acting helpless. My mother's family grew and prepared all their own food (meat, dairy and vegetables) and never used disposable diapers.
When I was little we had a well. Most of our food was grown. We slaughtered our own chickens. We didn’t have baby formula. Jesus there is a WEALTH of info online on how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In fairness, you can’t buy cloth diapers, safety pins and plastic pants just anywhere. And today’s cloth diaper systems are very expensive.
There are plenty of materials you can make baby diapers out of in a pinch. And you can tie a knot right?

Old 03-21-2020, 08:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:

There is stocking up and there is obscene hoarding. For example I saw this lady buying 30 gallons of milk. Forget that 30 gallons of milk take up a lot of room in a fridge. You can freeze some but they have a shelf life. There is absolutely no reason to buy that much milk.
My buddy proudly told me he bought FOUR 48 count packages of TP. I calculated on a one roll per week usage and it’s about 3.6 year supply. You really use one rol per week?
Another dude was buying a cart full of pasta. How much pasta are you gonna need?
A gentle reminder, not everybody is hoarding. Those 30 gallons of milk and the cart full of pasta just might have been purchased in response to the most needed items at a local food pantry. We update our list daily, as the need keeps growing.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:19 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
When I was little we had a well. Most of our food was grown. We slaughtered our own chickens. We didn’t have baby formula. Jesus there is a WEALTH of info online on how to.

There are plenty of materials you can make baby diapers out of in a pinch. And you can tie a knot right?
I’m not saying I couldn’t improvise with some towels and some ziplock bags. I’m just saying I give the mom a break from criticizing.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A gentle reminder, not everybody is hoarding. Those 30 gallons of milk and the cart full of pasta just might have been purchased in response to the most needed items at a local food pantry. We update our list daily, as the need keeps growing.
I definitely don't judge people who are buying lots of stuff. They might have big families or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting