Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:57 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Seriously. All of this tongue-clucking about "young mothers today" (as if the fathers bear no responsibility) is really mean-spirited and unhelpful. So many parents have had their worlds, their routines, and their support systems turned upside with hardly any notice; a mini freak-out in the diaper aisle is probably less about the diapers than about suddenly having to scramble with so many changes at once.

Alright, so a lot of parents aren't familiar with cloth diapering. Big deal; their parents probably didn't use them either. I'll never forgot my own mother's horrified reaction to my choosing to cloth diaper: (mind you, this is a woman who birthed me in the 70s, living in a back-to-nature commune with no modern conveniences) "Ugh, why?? I strapped on cross-country skis and gladly hoofed it to Grand Union for a package of Pampers!" My grandma's reaction was more colorful, but just as unenthusiastic, especially as someone who cloth-diapered twins in the days when only rich people could afford disposable diapers: "I would have sold my farfallina on the street if it would have saved me from washing all of those f--- diapers!"
I like your grandma! And I agree. Parents with young babies/kids have to be overwhelmed right now. A freak out over the lack of diapers isn’t an indication of a lack of character. It’s just human. We should be going out of our way to be kind and supportive right now, not judging harshly for a momentary freak out. IMO, that reflects badly on the person judging not on the mom freaking out over diapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 04:02 PM

797 posts, read 238,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I like your grandma! And I agree. Parents with young babies/kids have to be overwhelmed right now. A freak out over the lack of diapers isn’t an indication of a lack of character. It’s just human. We should be going out of our way to be kind and supportive right now, not judging harshly for a momentary freak out. IMO, that reflects badly on the person judging not on the mom freaking out over diapers.
I beg to differ with you, as the hundreds of comments made on all sites posting the video speak for themselves loud and clear.

Older generation folk and even those who are younger... those who haven't bought into today's candy-coated, poor-baby coddle campaign/movement, have zero tolerance or support over such behaviour and drama.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
I'd say my previous reply went straight over your head, and that your response confirms to me all that I need to know related to the namby-pamby generation and times we live in today.
What would be namby pamby is for someone to change their behavior or choices because someone else judges them as wrong.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ with you, as the hundreds of comments made on all sites posting the video speak for themselves loud and clear.

Older generation folk and even those who are younger... those who haven't bought into today's candy-coated, poor-baby coddle campaign/movement, have zero tolerance or support over such behaviour and drama.
I don’t agree with coddling anyone. My daughters would laugh at the thought. I do however believe that it’s not necessary to state ones opinion at all times. People do not give a crap what others think. They do not need or want their opinion or guidance. People who feel compelled to constantly give their opinions and school others on how they did it better are just as bad as those posting videos about every aspect of their lives or those whining about how life is so hard. No one cares about any of it. Live your life. Leave other people alone to live theirs.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I don’t agree with coddling anyone. My daughters would laugh at the thought. I do however believe that it’s not necessary to state ones opinion at all times. People do not give a crap what others think. They do not need or want their opinion or guidance. People who feel compelled to constantly give their opinions and school others on how they did it better are just as bad as those posting videos about every aspect of their lives or those whining about how life is so hard. No one cares about any of it. Live your life. Leave other people alone to live theirs.
ROFLMAO! When you go through the motions of posting a video publically as the mother in question did, you automatically open yourself up to comment and criticism whether you like it or not, or whether you want to hear it or not. It's called real life.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Yes! I had my own mini freak out trying to demonstrate a simple math problem to my 3rd grader. For Pete’s sake, I can write abstract algebra proofs and graph trig functions with my eyes closed... but explaining short division made me cry. Really, it wasn’t about the division; it was about suddenly being solely responsible for his education when I am not a teacher by nature or profession.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
ROFLMAO! When you go through the motions of posting a video publically as the mother in question did, you automatically open yourself up to comment and criticism whether you like it or not, or whether you want to hear it or not. It's called real life.
Agreed. She should have kept her freak out to herself and figured it out. Just like the commenters should keep their opinions to themselves. Both have the same look at me look at me mentality.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Yes! I had my own mini freak out trying to demonstrate a simple math problem to my 3rd grader. For Pete’s sake, I can write abstract algebra proofs and graph trig functions with my eyes closed... but explaining short division made me cry. Really, it wasn’t about the division; it was about suddenly being solely responsible for his education when I am not a teacher by nature or profession.
I get that. We’re all dealing with things out of our normal routine and out of our areas of expertise. Freaking out is human.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I get that. We’re all dealing with things out of our normal routine and out of our areas of expertise. Freaking out is human.
That it is, as is speaking out.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

That it is, as is speaking out.
There's a difference between speaking out and being unnecessarily critical, as you have done here.

Post after post of bafflingly hostile and meaningless generalizations, aimed at a massive group of people, that only serve to make you feel superior and make you come across as an old crone, decades removed from real-life parenting dilemmas, shaking your fist at "these kids today." And hey, maybe you aren't like that "in real life," but that's how it reads. Your need to keep putting others down is revealing.

Agreeing with the least-common denominator anonymous commenters on a Yahoo News article isn't anything to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting