U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Avoiding Playgrounds?
I am not going out in public with my children at all. 15 46.88%
I am going out in public with my children but avoiding crowds and playgrounds. 8 25.00%
I am letting my children play on empty/less-busy playgrounds where they can maintain physical distancing. 3 9.38%
I am letting my children play freely in public without regard to distancing requirements or staying off play equipment. 1 3.13%
Other 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 12:59 PM

8,232 posts, read 4,595,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
The identified primary pathway for COVID-19 infection is via the eyes, nose, or mouth from airborne particles expelled by nearby infectious carriers. Secondary pathways (touching a surface with deposited viruses, and then touching your eyes/nose/mouth) have not been confirmed, but are thought to be possible/likely. It is unknown whether eating food with viruses deposited on the surface (by an infected food service worker) can cause infection.

Because of this, local governments are allowing outdoor activities with the caveat that people remain at least 6' apart. They are also allowing restaurants to operate with take-out or delivery only options.

Out of an abundance of caution, and because children are believed to often be asymptomatic carriers, some local governments are recommending people avoid playgrounds. Curious how parents are handling this.
I don't have kids, but when I was at the park I saw a dad with a kid on the playground section. I thought that was a terrible idea because of the surface touching.

I saw a report on tv that said the bacteria left on surfaces by touching can remain there for many hours or more than a day. Something like that.

Bacteria in the air (like from someone coughing) can stay in the air for about 3 hrs.

The virus in food, if any, doesn't seem to pose a problem at this time, which is why drive-in food places are deemed okay. But the workers touching the containers is a problem, so those should be wiped down w/antibacterial.

I walk my dog in the park & stay away from others (and vice versa). That is fine. I saw some people launching their fishing boats...that's fine. So there are things you can do...as long as it doesn't involve touching public things or being in close proximity to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 638,048 times
This topic is actually the subject of a hot debate on my neighborhood forum.

A mom of five is angry that there are talks about closing the neighborhood parks. The problem is parents have let their kids of all ages congregate and play with other kids. There is no social distancing at all.

She said that her kids being able to get some fresh air and sunshine is better than the risk of infection spreading. Others disagreed.

I think people being able to cram grocery stores and big box stores is even more of a problem.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:08 AM

6 posts, read 1,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Someone asked if our child would play with their child on the playground the other day. We said no way.
People should finally understand that it's not a joke and everyone should stay safe.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 AM

1,832 posts, read 1,233,129 times
The playgrounds are closed. Gates locked. Yellow caution tape wrapped around the ones without fences. Idiots enter anyway to let their children play.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:53 AM

48,404 posts, read 46,693,254 times
Yep, they had to close the playgrounds, bball and tennis courts, and other contact areas yesterday because people kept getting recordings of huge groups playing basketball on public courts.

In a neighboring city they removed the bball hoops altogether, knowing some people would still violate the order or claim ignorance.

Kids can still get fresh air and sunshine without playing WITH other kids.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 PM

931 posts, read 765,714 times
Our county allows people in the parks and greenways, but specifically says to stay off playground equipment. Didn't have to tell me that - we've been out with our kids to these areas, but I would not allow them to play on anything. We just walk the trails.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:25 PM

8,232 posts, read 4,595,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't have kids, but when I was at the park I saw a dad with a kid on the playground section. I thought that was a terrible idea because of the surface touching.

I saw a report on tv that said the bacteria left on surfaces by touching can remain there for many hours or more than a day. Something like that.

Bacteria in the air (like from someone coughing) can stay in the air for about 3 hrs.

The virus in food, if any, doesn't seem to pose a problem at this time, which is why drive-in food places are deemed okay. But the workers touching the containers is a problem, so those should be wiped down w/antibacterial.

I walk my dog in the park & stay away from others (and vice versa). That is fine. I saw some people launching their fishing boats...that's fine. So there are things you can do...as long as it doesn't involve touching public things or being in close proximity to others.
The next time I went to that park (it's a small neighborhood park), the park is still open, but there are those plastic crime ribbons around each & every piece of playground equipment.

Our city & parish parks are open for walking & general use...but not the buildings or restrooms or play equipment. In other words, nothing with a touchable surface. Our state parks are open, if not gated, but again, not buildings or facilities or cabins. And there were no staff/attendants when I went to the state park near me. People were walking dogs, jogging, families were eating or bicycling together. But people were being good, seemed like, in keeping away from each other not in their family.

We don't have many cases in our parish (county). But of course, it grows every day, and it could balloon suddenly.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:15 AM

11,572 posts, read 4,639,825 times
ALL playgrounds in my state are closed with signs stating so! Covid-19 stays on surfaces up to 72hrs. Let your kids play in their own yards AWAY from people.

We had one nice day here recently and all the neighborhood kids were out. My kids are in middle school so they stayed to themselves, but the younger kids on our block were playing like normal with each other. THIS is why the virus is spreading, because people are not smart and practicing social distancing like they are being told too!! An infant just died of the virus recently in a neighboring state and a 12 yr old on a ventilator. BE SMART PEOPLE!!!

Old 03-29-2020, 02:15 PM

1,959 posts, read 567,322 times
We’ve gone to a few hiking trails.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:06 PM

1,290 posts, read 649,656 times
All the playgrounds are closed. We've been doing a lot of walks and bike rides around the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or