U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM

24,589 posts, read 32,055,639 times

Advertisements

I see kids on bikes but I never notice whether or not they are wearing helmets. I am more interested in watching carefully that they don't swerve into traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 04:56 PM

464 posts, read 298,736 times
I never wore a helmet when I was a kid. Whether it was skateboards, rollerblades or mountain bikes. I realize now I was very lucky. I only had one head injury when I was 12, and it was enough to put me in the hospital overnight.

As an adult I always wear one. A few years ago I crashed while riding a freeride mountain bike trail. Headfirst into the ground and nothing more than a red mark on my forehead that lasted a couple days. I imagine it wouldn't have gone well had I not been wearing a one.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:18 PM

8,171 posts, read 13,645,962 times
When they tell me I have to wear a helmet to ride my bicycle is the day you'll see a for sale sign on my bike. My son, DIL, and kids (12 and 14) all ride on long bike rides. When they're on these 25-40 mile bike rides, they all have helmets on. But when just riding around town the helmets stay hanging on the wall in the garage.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:11 PM

717 posts, read 463,090 times
Our kids do.

My husband had a bad bicycle accident as a kid that ended up at a hospital, with a helmet that probably saved his life. He had stitches and still has a huge scar. I once hit a rock a few feet from my house, bounced off the bike and headfirst onto the sidewalk, and the helmet cracked in half, but I was fine. *Eta, I flew off the bike, landed on my head, then flipped over. Like a somersault.

Growing up in an UMC late 1990s neighborhood, most of the kids did. It was like, unheard of to NOT wear a helmet. We rode our bikes all over, and even the cool rebellious kids wore helmets and protective gear on scooters.

In our neighborhood, it's more middle class and largely military, and I'd estimate about 1/2 the kids are not wearing helmets. Some are a very young age, it's very disturbing. There's been some close calls.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 PM

13,476 posts, read 21,854,841 times
Our neighborhood is very small, with only 3 streets, two of which end in cul-de-sacs. Kids ride their bikes between houses without helmets. Outside the neighborhood, it's rare to see kids biking at all. The hilly terrain and inconsistency of bike lanes make the roads too dangerous. We have a few adult biking groups, and they all wear helmets.

There is a great paved trail system connecting several towns, and signs are posted mandating helmets be worn. And since the trails are regularly patrolled by police who give out citations, everybody wears them.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:43 AM

905 posts, read 303,069 times
My kids always wore helmets. Of course, we did not back in the 70s, 80s. Not where I grew up anyway. But we're a lot smarter these days.

No reason not to wear a helmet, IMO. Kids would get used to it, if given the chance, and won't even know the have it on.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:49 AM

2,688 posts, read 3,526,375 times
I live in Canada where Hockey is a quasi religion, so every kid who plays even at the youngest age group level must wear a helmet. That carries over to other sports activities.

My pet beef with kids on bikes and boards is...….the helmets are not fitted properly, and that blame lies on the Parents lack of attention to buying the proper size, and instructing the kids HOW to wear them.

If you see a kid whose helmet is sitting 5 inches back from their forehead on the top of their skull its useless in protecting their frontal brain area. In just about every fall off a bike or board the child falls forward, and hits their face/forehead. What good does that helmet do if its not protecting the kid's forehead.

The proper ( and easy ) way to fit a kids helmet is... no more than three fingers width between the kids eyes, and the frontal edge of the helmet. Chin straps should be adjusted so that the strap is tight enough so that a blow to the rear of the helmet will NOT dislodge it forwards.

Source. Ten years as a Ambulance officer here in Toronto. Head injuries to kids are a common summer time emergency call.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 AM

2,621 posts, read 548,621 times
Never used or even seen a helmet as a kid back in the 70’s. A few minor concussions and broken bones and get back on your bike and ride. Kids were tough back then.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:45 AM

6,995 posts, read 8,568,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Never used or even seen a helmet as a kid back in the 70’s. A few minor concussions and broken bones and get back on your bike and ride. Kids were tough back then.
I was a kid in the 60's and 70's. No, bike helmets were never seen or used by kids because they were not available at every place that sold bikes.

Fewer cars had seat belts at that time. It doesn't mean we shouldn't use them now just because we didn't use them decades ago. The same with car seats for children. It's called progress.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM

26,294 posts, read 16,937,831 times
On a neighborhood walk I saw a dad with his two young kids riding little bikes with helmets.

The kids were charming. The little girl told me a bunch of stuff that I understood not a word of. But I enjoyed the interaction, anyway,

But yeah, helmets were in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting