U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 11:58 AM

1,290 posts, read 649,656 times

Advertisements

My kids wear them. Most of the kids we know do. Bike helmets for biking and scootering. They wear their hockey helmets usually for rollerblading because they are usually playing roller hockey outside. Ski helmets while skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 04:03 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,834,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
My kids wear them. Most of the kids we know do. Bike helmets for biking and scootering. They wear their hockey helmets usually for rollerblading because they are usually playing roller hockey outside. Ski helmets while skiing.
Almost 30 years ago we bought our kids lessons, season tickets and ski rentals one Christmas. The tickets were wrapped inside helmets. Ski resorts didn't rent them back then, you had to bring your own. My kids had helmets for everything too, and I think they willingly wore them because the sports they played required them. Hockey, football, baseball, check. Bike riding shouldn't be any different.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:19 PM

4,808 posts, read 1,961,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When they tell me I have to wear a helmet to ride my bicycle is the day you'll see a for sale sign on my bike. My son, DIL, and kids (12 and 14) all ride on long bike rides. When they're on these 25-40 mile bike rides, they all have helmets on. But when just riding around town the helmets stay hanging on the wall in the garage.
Right, because it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a serious bike accident "just riding around town."

Old 03-26-2020, 05:22 PM

16,600 posts, read 18,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When they tell me I have to wear a helmet to ride my bicycle is the day you'll see a for sale sign on my bike. My son, DIL, and kids (12 and 14) all ride on long bike rides. When they're on these 25-40 mile bike rides, they all have helmets on. But when just riding around town the helmets stay hanging on the wall in the garage.
More bike accidents probably occur close to home. Certainly more car accidents do.

https://www.peoplepoweredmovement.or...united-states/

Quote:
Statistics show that while the overall number of bicycle accidents in the country is declining, the number of fatal bike accidents is on the rise. In 2015, there were 45,000 reported bicycle accidents in the United States, down from 50,000 reported accidents in the prior year. However, the number of fatal accidents increased by more than 12 percent during this same time.
https://www.helmets.org/stats.htm

Quote:
"Fifty-four percent of bicyclists killed in 2017 were not wearing helmets. However, helmet use among those killed has remained relatively consistent at 16 percent since 2010." (The remaining 30% were not known.)

Helmet use has been estimated to reduce the odds of head injury by 50 percent, and the odds of head, face, or neck injury by 33 percent. 2 Twenty-one states and the District of Columbia have helmet use laws applying to young bicyclists; none of these laws applies to all riders. Local ordinances in a few states require some or all bicyclists to wear helmets. The odds that a bicyclist will wear a helmet are 4 times higher after a helmet law is enacted than before a law is passed. 3 Helmets are important for riders of all ages, not just young bicyclists. Eighty-seven percent of bicyclist deaths are persons ages 20 and older. During the past few years, no more than 17 percent of fatally injured bicyclists were wearing helmets."

Old 03-27-2020, 08:40 PM

29,054 posts, read 35,416,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
I tried to do an accurate check of at least 1 week of samples multiples times before posting this.

I live in a very family-friendly neighborhood. Almost every household (90%+) no exaggeration have at least 2 kids. They all go outside a lot. My neighboring neighborhood, which I go to a lot because it has a park, is also very family friendly with a lot of kids.

In the past week, since all kids are stuck at/around home, I've been paying attention to them outside. I have NEVER seen anyone wear a helmet. Ages anything from toddlers to teens, from bikes/tricycles/scooters/etc, I have NEVER seen anyone wear a helmet. At least 100+ observed kids. Are these things just dead?
I wear one and so does my BF. Heck I have three helmets.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:40 AM

545 posts, read 121,628 times
I never wore a helmet when I was a kid. Didn't even own one. I rode my bike all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting