U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:43 AM

49 posts, read 20,142 times

Advertisements

I live in Ireland and here it's quite common for parents to be okay with kids cursing (well not kids but teens/young adults). It seems though to be a strong taboo in America in general. Many young adults won't even curse in front of their parents cause they see it as disrespectful.

Do you think it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 05:53 AM

5,633 posts, read 4,581,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
I live in Ireland and here it's quite common for parents to be okay with kids cursing (well not kids but teens/young adults). It seems though to be a strong taboo in America in general. Many young adults won't even curse in front of their parents cause they see it as disrespectful.

Do you think it is?

It is quite disrespectful, rude, and indicative of ignorance and insensitivity towards others. I live in the South and my children and grandchildren use yes sir and yes ma'am when speaking to adults. If you don't respect yourself, how can you respect others?

Old 04-02-2020, 05:56 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,023,175 times
How is swearing disrespectful to yourself?

Different families, different attitudes. I don't mind a hell or damn here and there. Not fond of the f word.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM

12,006 posts, read 15,623,869 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/pare...llow-your.html

Old 04-02-2020, 05:13 PM

5,945 posts, read 5,696,020 times
I'm a single mom of two teens and I kinda gave up on censoring us when my youngest went to high school.

I still drew the line at hostility directed TOWARDS others. You can't call names.

But to me, it helped keep open the lines of communication at a time when their father was trying to be all strict and conservative. He remarried and has younger step kids, and he and his new wife attempted to lay a lot of ground rules. Not to say we undermined them. IMHO My kids know their audience and adjust accordingly. They are very articulate.

I'm a teacher and so is one of my daughters so now we mostly have fun substitutes. I was just thinking that several weeks of staying home alone with an obnoxious dog is going to turn me back into a potty mouth.

To the OP, there are plenty of Americans that don't have a problem with kids swearing. Our TV programs are ridiculously sanitized and not particularly realistic.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:17 PM

26,461 posts, read 17,079,648 times
No, I did not! DH and I never use profanity or gutter language, and they did not either. In fact they still don’t use profanity around us. Our grands don’t either.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:18 PM

2,840 posts, read 1,247,720 times
My kids are too young right now. And while it’s an interesting question my wife and I haven’t really talked about yet, she and I are both potty mouths, and probably by the time they hit high school, we’ll probably just be “whatever” about it. We have a pretty liberal parenting style, anyway.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:51 PM

657 posts, read 186,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post

Do you think it is?

I find it completely unacceptable--even for adults to do in polite company.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:44 PM

238 posts, read 55,730 times
Trash language doesn't look good on anyone, teens or their parents.
Using curse words in regular conversation, especially the F word, makes the user look lazy, uneducated (even if they are educated), clueless of the effect of their language on others or deliberately provocative.
I never use profanity in conversation, however I have been known to curse to myself in situations of extreme frustration, usually when I'm alone.
It doesn't make me "cool" or hip or anything else but a person using words considered rude and coarse.
To a lot of Americans the extreme use of the F word by Brits and people like Gordon Ramsay seems slightly bizarre.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:48 AM

5,033 posts, read 3,737,675 times
I don't allow it as a general thing, but if an occasional cuss word is let fly accidentally or during a time of high emotion (a long as it's not directed AT someone, like calling someone a name) to me that's not the time to make a big deal out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or