Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times

Advertisements

My parents are in their 70s. They aren't in great health. My mother has no immunity to basically anything, and my father is just old and infirm.

My mother is demanding that I come visit, and that if I come, I stay for an extended period. That doesn't sound safe to me, since I am in an area with a high prevalence of coronavirus.

My mother demands that when I come, I have to stay only in my bedroom and in one small parlor in one corner of the house.

That doesn't sound great. Work is really busy; we're required to work remotely, but I need a desk, phone, printer, etc. I'll have to sit in a chair with no desk, with a laptop in my lap.

Would you even go?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Nope! It's a terrible situation...she's worried she might need your help, but you are just as likely to bring her the virus as you are to be able to help her out. Tell her you are not allowed and blame the government for placing restrictions on your travel.

Do they have any sort of support system? Is there a neighbor you can call to see if they can do daily checks, even through the window or standing 10 feet back from the front door? I would be glad to do that service if I had a neighbor in need.

Call their Area Agency on Aging to see what they recommend. She sounds really scared.

I'm so grateful my mom is in a continuing care community right now.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
How far away are they?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:57 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
No. If your state is shut down, this is nonessential travel. Not to mention just stupid.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Thanks. My mother has lots of close friends and a support system.

They live 600 miles away. I do head down there pretty often for a weekend to help them out, but often when I offer to come help,they say no.

I would like to go, but not for an extended period. I can't get work done there.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
No, I would not go. I don't like it when people "demand" things of me.

Why don't you demand they do whatever you want and see what happens?

I would help them in other ways - order groceries and supplies online, etc.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Well , I wonder why you are getting this demand now. Any ideas?

Have you asked your mother?

If her request is as you say, then I agree it is unreasonable. But I wonder if they need your help.

No, stay home now. But you might need to get involved remotely in their lives. Perhaps they are isolated and afraid.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
A lot of older people are chafing at the restrictions of quarantine. Your parents will just have to deal. There is no reason you should go stay with them, and in fact it could kill them.

Stay put. Visit when the virus has died down.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well , I wonder why you are getting this demand now. Any ideas?

Have you asked your mother?

If her request is as you say, then I agree it is unreasonable. But I wonder if they need your help.

No, stay home now. But you might need to get involved remotely in their lives. Perhaps they are isolated and afraid.
Great points. I wonder if they need your help to survive (or think that they need your help). Try to figure out why they want you to come now.

As others have said, your visiting may be a death sentence for them.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post

There is no reason you should go stay with them, and in fact it could kill them.

Stay put. Visit when the virus has died down.
I agree. I don't see how this is a question at all, OP.

They're 600 miles away. Just keep saying, "It's not safe. I'll visit when the travel restrictions are limited." If they keep badgering you, tell them you won't talk on the phone if this is all they are calling about.

Keep reinforcing those boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting