Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 11:06 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Bad situation. Unfortunately, it is a bad idea. The risk of you picking up COVID19 is pretty high, and there is also a high risk you could transfer it to your parents.

I hope everything works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 11:31 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You have no one to blame but yourself, but you already know that. Manipulation is a two-way street, and you are a willing dance partner. Your lack of symptoms are irrelevant. You can carry for weeks if not months. By being spineless, you have allowed yourself the very plausible possibility of infecting people you love, who are in the high-risk group, with a deadly disease. This is not the act of a loving child.

While it is too late for you to do the right thing, others may profit by reading this. Don’t make this mistake in this critical time. Stay the eff away from your older relatives until the danger is passed. No matter how whiny or pissy they get.
^^^^^^^^This

Old 04-06-2020, 12:52 PM

900 posts, read 685,652 times
Hindsight is 20/20. You are there now so hopefully you can all make the most of the time together.

It is such a difficult time, and I totally get why you did what you did. I hope you can relax and settle in and have some quality time together, since you are already there.

Sorry you are under so much pressure!

Old 04-06-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
Thanks, everyone. I am now with them. Despite plans to stay far away from them, my mother is my shadow, certainly not 6 feet away, even though I keep telling them to back off, and that I could have coronavirus despite seeming healthy.
Oh wow...didn't read the thread when I responded earlier. After your visit is over, you will now want to self-isolate/quarantine for at least 2 weeks to be on the safe side. Hopefully you won't get symptoms and hopefully you do not catch it. Hopefully your parents won't catch anything or get symptoms either.

It will be a scary few weeks of waiting, but hopefully everything works out and you and your parents remain healthy and neither of you caught it.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 AM

Something about the OP's story just doesn't add up. Not saying that he/she has made this story/thread up, but it just doesn't feel like it adds up. The OP mentioned that his parents are 600 miles away, which would necessitate a flight (and all the hassle and danger that comes with travel during this time); yet there is no mention of that at all by the OP.

The OP asks for advice, and mentions that he knows it is dangerous and a bad idea. Yet, he goes anyway based on the request of his mother (what was the need for soliciting advice on this forum?). The OP mentioned that something doesn't sound right talking to his mother, yet never mentions confirming with his father? Then he mentions that he is not practicing social distancing even though he was talking about how sick/at-risk his mother is????

Again, something just doesn't add up with this story. Not saying the OP made this up, but if it is true, there are a lot of details left out to understand his/her thought process.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:26 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Something about the OP's story just doesn't add up. Not saying that he/she has made this story/thread up, but it just doesn't feel like it adds up. The OP mentioned that his parents are 600 miles away, which would necessitate a flight (and all the hassle and danger that comes with travel during this time); yet there is no mention of that at all by the OP.

The OP asks for advice, and mentions that he knows it is dangerous and a bad idea. Yet, he goes anyway based on the request of his mother (what was the need for soliciting advice on this forum?). The OP mentioned that something doesn't sound right talking to his mother, yet never mentions confirming with his father? Then he mentions that he is not practicing social distancing even though he was talking about how sick/at-risk his mother is????

Again, something just doesn't add up with this story. Not saying the OP made this up, but if it is true, there are a lot of details left out to understand his/her thought process.
I agree. Very unusual.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:42 AM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
For 600 miles, you can fly, drive or take a bus or a train.

My father and I don’t really say any thing to each other. We aren’t close.

I’m trying to socially distance but my mother is like glue.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
For 600 miles, you can fly, drive or take a bus or a train.

My father and I don’t really say any thing to each other. We aren’t close.

I’m trying to socially distance but my mother is like glue.
That's why she wanted you there, to have something to do - someone else to focus on.

Your dad had probably had enough of it.

So apparently they are fine?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:59 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. I am now with them. Despite plans to stay far away from them, my mother is my shadow, certainly not 6 feet away, even though I keep telling them to back off, and that I could have coronavirus despite seeming healthy.
What did you tell your boss about going AWOL from your job? You said you were in a busy period with your work.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:48 AM

654 posts, read 364,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What did you tell your boss about going AWOL from your job? You said you were in a busy period with your work.

We are not allowed to come to the office and everyone is working remotely. We have to report travel, which I did. Boss is fine with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting