U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 PM

8,850 posts, read 4,587,287 times

Advertisements

Troll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 PM

15,556 posts, read 22,928,038 times
How are you going out in NYC to closed stores since there is a shelter in place order?

Old 04-05-2020, 07:40 PM

1,151 posts, read 328,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusNYC View Post
My son's best friend of 5 years stays at our house all the time. He spends summers here at our house (has his own room), goes on vacation with us, even has a key to our house, etc. He is basically our #2 child. Him and my son are 14 and freshmen in high school. They are inseperable. He has always been very appreciative to my wife and I, very well behaved, hugs us all the time to say thanks, just a nice all around kid and has never really been a bother as him and my son just play video games. His parents are not exactly upper crust of society but I was taught by my grandmother I have no right to pass judgement on others.

Over the past 2 weeks when we've gone out he's had a lot of money on him, and has been spending hundreds of dollars at stores and online. Naturally, when I see a 14 year old with a wad of hundreds and twenties in his wallet I'm concerned. I asked him where he got all the cash, and he told me his mother has been giving it to him. I knew that was bs as no parent would give a kid his age that kind of money and his parents only make min wage. I called his mother who confirmed she has not given him any money.

Today I go into my master bedroom closet where I had $1,500 hidden under a folded blanket and wouldn't ya know, only $200 is there. To make a long story short, my son's best friend stole the money and had been for some time. Burglarizing my master bedroom snooping around looking for things to steal.

I confronted him, he admitted to it. He also said he told his older brother about the $ and the brother would come by and they'd do a hand off in my driveway. I called his parents who came and picked him up. They gave him an ass whipping. I took his key and told him he is never to come to our house again. And I'm out $1,300. I feel totally used and violated; almost in shock.

Was I right in throwing him out of my house and banning him from returning? The kid sent my son text messages and is now kind of playing the victim. This is a youngster that my family spent almost every day with for 5 years. My fiance says he's probably been stealing for years and it's always the one you least expect. Parents here what would you do in my shoes? Would you let the kid back in the house? Associate with your kid?
You cannot ban your child from seeing this kid but expect him to slowly fade from being friends with him. The 14 year old learned his lesson for sure. He got a whipping. He had to pay back the money. He lost respect from his best friends and people that had faith in him for 5 yrs.

Don't assume he's been stealing for years, that is unlikely. Boys at 14 are different. They deal with alot of temptations and are quite dingy. He may grow out of it. Forgive him. Be polite allowing him back in however not overly friendly like before. Expect it to be short lived. Most 14 year olds will allow their friends back but learn their heart won't allow it. I give it 6 months max and they won't be close friends anymore. Don't hurt your own child by banning him from his friend at this traumatic moment, even if that is the friend that caused the trauma. Let them handle it. So sorry this happened, wow that is rough. But forgive the kid

Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 PM

1,151 posts, read 328,988 times
The OP is probably a kid who stole from his best friends parents and wants to predict the outcome.

KID send an apology to the people you robbed. Then pay them back. Then pay them back with 5% interest. All sent in a card form by mail to their house. COnsider yourself lucky if you do not get arrested

Old 04-06-2020, 12:56 AM

27,876 posts, read 26,483,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
The OP is probably a kid who stole from his best friends parents and wants to predict the outcome.

KID send an apology to the people you robbed. Then pay them back. Then pay them back with 5% interest. All sent in a card form by mail to their house. COnsider yourself lucky if you do not get arrested
He probably should, but that doesn't stop or help some people.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:42 AM

2,686 posts, read 3,525,480 times
The OP is a troll. READ his past posting history from a few months ago...……. about him dating a " girl " and moving in with her. NOW he is a Father with a 14 year old son ??? Totally B.S.

The Internet is a great place to be a ghost, isn't it ?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 PM

29,063 posts, read 35,444,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusNYC View Post
My son was upset but understood. He is almost 15 and has other friends now. I’m trying to get a feel from other parents what they would’ve done if they were in my shoes. This was an off a lot of money and the kid actually went looking to burglarize.
I had something much worse happen, with my nephew. He was around 19-20 years old. This was nearly 7 years ago. My son was at college and my nephew came to town to visit my parents and me, and to do some odd jobs for me to earn money. He stole my mom's wedding ring, a gold dome ring that is irreplaceable of course, and my wedding ring, and literally my favorite pair of gold earrings and a gold bracelet that was a very special piece to me. And other pieces as well.

I did not discover this until he had left town, he had sold the items at a local pawn shop and hightailed it out of town. Unfortunately it after 2 weeks had passed, and there was no way to get the items back - the pawn shop had sent them off to be sold.

My mom was devastated. Broken. As was I. I cried for days about it. I just couldn't believe it.

Long story short - he had a percocet addiction and was paying for his pills. My son came home and we drove to DE and confronted him, with his parents (who were completely blindsided). My sister found out she was also missing a lot of jewelry - WAY more than I. We gave him two choices 1) go to jail, or 2) get into a rehab program. He chose the latter. My son could not even look at him because he wanted to punch him in the face. They had been so close, and now there was nothing.

I felt nothing but anger and disgust for my nephew for at least a year, and somewhere in the 2nd year I started somehow learning to live with it. I did not allow my him in my house again until this past Christmas. It's been a long difficult road. I forgave him, but I will never forget. He is a different person today, and he did apologize to me at some point. But I never felt that he was given a hard enough time about it. His parents should have made him pay back the worth that he stole, and they never did. That kinda pissed me off too.

My advice for you is to file a police report. DO NOT let him back in your house. Definitely no association with your son - I am surprised that your son wants anything to do with him, frankly.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:05 PM

9,623 posts, read 2,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The OP is a troll. READ his past posting history from a few months ago...……. about him dating a " girl " and moving in with her. NOW he is a Father with a 14 year old son ??? Totally B.S.

The Internet is a great place to be a ghost, isn't it ?
Anyone report the OP yet? He should be permanently banned, imo. Notice that he has not returned since he was "outed."

Or maybe the OP is the father of the kid who posted about a girl losing interest? Just a thought.

Or maybe the OP is just practicing his creative writing skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or