U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 11:58 AM

1,959 posts, read 567,322 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree the situation stinks. Or maybe not since some parents don’t want to seem to admit and say everything’s fine? Anyone who is enjoying this or thinks it’s swell I don’t relate to. I thought it was ok for the first 3 weeks but feels crazy now. My kids are very active, 4 and 5 and DH and I are both working from home. We are also moving in about 2 weeks. Yup. We’d been planning to move in the spring of 2020 for about 3 yrs and now and this pandemic didn’t stop us. It sure did create some bumps though.

My kids have most certainly had more screen time although the past week or so hasn’t been too bad. Their teacher suggested something called epic where they read books online which id never done before. They love it.

We do try to get outside on a walk everyday but the weather hasn’t been great. It snowed last night. But tomorrow will be 60. We have a big fenced in yard which has also helped.

I don’t think kids will be returning to school at least not in MA. I could certainly use the help but of course safety is the most important thing. My son does better with the structure of school. They also had things like hockey, dance class, swim class and gymnastics which came to a sudden stop. dance class is online and street hockey takes place in the driveway now. Much different

I don’t know when things will be opening up again. Overall being cooped up inside without school and the activities they once enjoyed doesn’t seem all that mentally healthy. I do still have a job I have to be productive at from home.

Seems like many parents on here or even on Facebook are taking the attitude that all is great and they’re enjoying the together time. I am enjoying seeing my kids more but I’m not afraid to say I’m looking forward to things loosening up. I don’t think it’s healthy to be so cooped up in the house together with no interaction with others aside from zoom calls.

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-18-2020 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 12:38 PM

7,115 posts, read 3,149,301 times
I only have 1 left at home; an autistic teen & we have been getting so much amazing outdoor time it is wonderful.

There are no restrictions on hiking in the high country of the Rocky Mountains & I have all of his homeschool-"Zoomschool" stuff scheduled in the mornings, which leaves us the afternoon to run amok like mountain goats.

No complaints here.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:45 PM

I’m guessing there are a lot of parents on here who don’t work

Old 04-18-2020, 06:46 PM

281 posts, read 162,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think we can all agree the situation stinks. Or maybe not since some parents don’t want to seem to admit and say everything’s fine? Anyone who is enjoying this or thinks it’s swell I don’t relate to. I thought it was ok for the first 3 weeks but feels crazy now. My kids are very active, 4 and 5 and DH and I are both working from home. We are also moving in about 2 weeks. Yup. We’d been planning to move in the spring of 2020 for about 3 yrs and now and this pandemic didn’t stop us. It sure did create some bumps though.

My kids have most certainly had more screen time although the past week or so hasn’t been too bad. Their teacher suggested something called epic where they read books online which id never done before. They love it.

We do try to get outside on a walk everyday but the weather hasn’t been great. It snowed last night. But tomorrow will be 60. We have a big fenced in yard which has also helped.

I don’t think kids will be returning to school at least not in MA. I could certainly use the help but of course safety is the most important thing. My son does better with the structure of school. They also had things like hockey, dance class, swim class and gymnastics which came to a sudden stop. dance class is online and street hockey takes place in the driveway now. Much different

I don’t know when things will be opening up again. Overall being cooped up inside without school and the activities they once enjoyed doesn’t seem all that mentally healthy. I do still have a job I have to be productive at from home.

Seems like many parents on here or even on Facebook are taking the attitude that all is great and they’re enjoying the together time. I am enjoying seeing my kids more but I’m not afraid to say I’m looking forward to things loosening up. I don’t think it’s healthy to be so cooped up in the house together with no interaction with others aside from zoom calls.
You're not alone. It stinks.

We're inside more than we used to be, but still getting outside every day for exercise and fresh air.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:04 PM

Tomorrow will be 60 degrees here so I’m looking forward to that. We had snow last night. I am looking forward to spending time outdoors tomorrow

Old 04-19-2020, 07:33 AM

9,198 posts, read 5,705,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m guessing there are a lot of parents on here who don’t work
Mr. Ginge and I are both still working, but our kids are a little older (two teens, one tween), so it hasn’t been too bad. The youngest needs help and motivation with getting his schoolwork done, but the older two have been keeping up with theirs on their own for the most part.

They go outside for bike rides every day that the weather is nice, and most days they and their neighborhood friends meet at the end of the driveways for appropriately-distanced social interaction. They do need a little kick in the pants (metaphorically) to keep the house picked up, but, otherwise, they prepare their own breakfast and lunch, and keep themselves occupied.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:59 AM

27,450 posts, read 20,401,262 times
I've seen far more kids playing outside during this than normal. Weather hasn't been the best, but it's not like there's a lot to do.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,140,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've seen far more kids playing outside during this than normal. Weather hasn't been the best, but it's not like there's a lot to do.
Same here (both people out and weather hasn't cooperated).

"Stay-at-home" does not mean lock the doors and never go out.

In Minnesota - we've had the flattest of the wave among 50 states for 3/31 - 4/7, accordinging to the CDC - getting outside for exercise while using social distancing is encouraged. State and county parks are open, no permit needed. I see more neighbors outside, doing lawnwork, walking dogs, walking with their children, sitting on the porch and reading, talking to neighbors from 6+ feet away than ever. I see kids out chalking driveways, riding bikes and shooting baskets in their driveways while yelling at neighbor kids doing the same in their own driveways.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:20 PM

16,786 posts, read 9,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Luckily it's been around 70 degrees here, so no problems getting kids outside.

But yeah .. it's ironic ... like rain on your wedding day or that good advice that you just didn't take.
Uck - I hate that song...and that it's not even about irony.

But back on topic everyone here feels it is their DUTY to be outside as much as possible. Now that they're supposed to be socially distancing they are wanting to be "legally" out and in "the company of others" but in a safe way. I think it's a form of mild rebellion. Will the kids and parents stay outside once the pandemic is over? I'm wagering they won't

Old 04-19-2020, 01:57 PM

22 posts, read 7,446 times
It's really funny! On a good normal day kids/teens don't want gp outside to play/hang out with their friends. Usually having to be forced, but now they want to. It's only because now they are told that they can't. Its taken for granted, when this virus is done, I think there will be positive changes to childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or