U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 07:58 AM

11,040 posts, read 11,977,082 times

Advertisements

Many kids are outside playing in their yards in my neighborhood. The spring has been great so far so plenty of opportunities to get outside. It's a shame the kids can't play together, but it's nice to see kids outside running and playing ball and such.

I've got two 7 year olds and a 2.5 year old. It's been interesting trying to mix home school plus keeping a 2.5 year old entertained and managing two working parents, but we've figured out a routine. For the most part, we try and get outside when we can since the weather has been so great. The two older boys can someone manage independently but it's been a challenge with the little guy. My wife is opposed to screen time in general, so that is avoided as much as possible (usually a movie is used as a reward or holiday treat).

Biggest PITA has been the schooling. Each week the teachers ramp up the requirements and assignments and require work is submitted and are now adding art and music. They also take attendance. SO juggling that has been the most stressful part of this with both parents trying to get their work done. The weekends are looked forward to for different reasons.

MA is right in the the thick of things and probably won't be relaxing until the June timeframe. I told the wife to order some yard games/inflatables because it appears this year we will be hanging around our yard quite a bit.

On a positive note, i'm enjoying spending a lot more personal time with our kiddos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 11:00 AM

1,959 posts, read 567,322 times
Im In Boston and I guess my opinion on the weather is different than mikes. To me it’s been darn cold. We had a mild winter but high 40s and low 50s isn’t exactly the kind of weather I want to be outside in for long periods of time. Yesterday was 60 so that was nice. Ideal weather for me to be out in is 65 or above

Old 04-23-2020, 09:52 PM

7,857 posts, read 4,402,766 times
Social distancing doesn't mean hid indoors. You can go outside. Play in the yard. All those things. Just avoid congregating in group settings.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:45 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,793,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Many kids are outside playing in their yards in my neighborhood. The spring has been great so far so plenty of opportunities to get outside. It's a shame the kids can't play together, but it's nice to see kids outside running and playing ball and such.

I've got two 7 year olds and a 2.5 year old. It's been interesting trying to mix home school plus keeping a 2.5 year old entertained and managing two working parents, but we've figured out a routine. For the most part, we try and get outside when we can since the weather has been so great. The two older boys can someone manage independently but it's been a challenge with the little guy. My wife is opposed to screen time in general, so that is avoided as much as possible (usually a movie is used as a reward or holiday treat).

Biggest PITA has been the schooling. Each week the teachers ramp up the requirements and assignments and require work is submitted and are now adding art and music. They also take attendance. SO juggling that has been the most stressful part of this with both parents trying to get their work done. The weekends are looked forward to for different reasons.

MA is right in the the thick of things and probably won't be relaxing until the June timeframe. I told the wife to order some yard games/inflatables because it appears this year we will be hanging around our yard quite a bit.

On a positive note, i'm enjoying spending a lot more personal time with our kiddos.
I'm a grandmother spending lockdown with two grandsons (6 and 3). Their parents have essential jobs. This is rural Ohio. The kids have lots of room to run and roam, but there are no close neighbor kids.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:

I'm a grandmother spending lockdown with two grandsons (6 and 3). Their parents have essential jobs. This is rural Ohio. The kids have lots of room to run and roam, but there are no close neighbor kids to play with. Home schooling the oldest is a huge PITA. I'm no teacher. DD gets him up at 6:30 to work with him before she leaves for her business. But she leaves

Old 04-29-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I'm a grandmother spending lockdown with two grandsons (6 and 3). Their parents have essential jobs. This is rural Ohio. The kids have lots of room to run and roam, but there are no close neighbor kids to play with. Home schooling the oldest is a huge PITA. I'm no teacher. DD gets him up at 6:30 to work with him before she leaves for her "essential" business (health food store). But she leaves ME stuck helping with the stupid Art projects. I HATE drawing pictures and doing arts and crafts (grandsons prefer Mine Craft, they don't like to color, cut and paste). They assign projects requiring construction paper, glitter, glue, etc. We don't have any of that stuff on hand. Ditto the magazines they want him to cut and glue pictures from. They don't buy or keep those either. Having to go out and
make special trips to buy it defeats the whole purpose of the lockdown.

We prefere spending time outside...hide and seek, tag, exploring. They have acres of woods that are a perfect nature study. We catch tadpoles, birdwatch, spot animal tracks, etc.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-29-2020 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 3,553,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Luckily it's been around 70 degrees here, so no problems getting kids outside.

But yeah .. it's ironic ... like rain on your wedding day or that good advice that you just didn't take.

If you'd stop saying smart and funny things all the time, I could rep you. LOL

Old 04-30-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Im In Boston and I guess my opinion on the weather is different than mikes. To me it’s been darn cold. We had a mild winter but high 40s and low 50s isn’t exactly the kind of weather I want to be outside in for long periods of time. Yesterday was 60 so that was nice. Ideal weather for me to be out in is 65 or above
As long as it's not raining, 40's and 50's is good enough for me. Hooded sweatshirt and i'm fine. I hate being in the house, and if I go outside, the kids want to come too.

Honestly, I can't get the kids to come inside these days. Around 9AM my 2.5 year old is asking to go out. He cries when it's time to come in for lunch or nap. The two older boys are outside pretty much all day other than the required school time and if it's raining.

Our new routine is family soccer when I come home from work from 4-5PM before dinner. I used to have a perfectly manicured back-yard but I've had to come to terms with letting that go this year due to how much we've been outside. It's pretty much trampled with random holes dug up here and there. I spend me weekends filling them back in and transplanting grass around the yard.

Unfortunately it's going to rain this weekend, but i'm actually impressed at how little screen time we've had to resort to.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 PM

1,959 posts, read 567,322 times
I wish my kids wanted to stay out and play in the yard. They love being outside but really just for hikes and walks. They seem to get bored in the yard, wish there was more for them to do out there

I’m seeing that it will be 66 on Saturday and Sunday and no rain hmm.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m seeing that it will be 66 on Saturday and Sunday and no rain hmm.
Other than Friday....seems I got that one wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or