Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 972,935 times

Advertisements

I have a 10 year old son that is active in sports. Before Covid 19 he was playing baseball and club soccer during spring. Both of those sports stopped mid-March. Currently, they are not playing, but I have started to receive emails from his coaches that the leagues are looking into playing baseball in June and July. His soccer coach's last email was to plan to start practicing for fall season in June. We, as his parents, are thinking about what we should do, but having a hard time to decide without hearing from both leagues on how they will implement practice, games or tournaments going forward.

I'm just curious as to what other parents that may be in this situation are/plan to do? Will you let you kids participate in whatever sport they play in summer or what till fall season? Thanks for the input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 03:40 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Is there anyone at elevated risk with whom you have contact? COVID-19 is lower risk for people your son's age than influenza. For those between 17-45, the risk of death is still quite low (0.08%), but 38X higher than influenza. For those 45 to 65 it is much higher (0.69%) and 65X more deadly than the flu. For those 65 and older, the risk of death is quite high (2% to >6%).

I would consider letting your son play sports, but tell him that he will need to isolate/distance himself from friends and family who might have risk factors. He might have to forego a trip to visit grandma, or wear a mask and stay outdoors, or help sanitize surfaces, wear a mask, and minimize how much time he spends in the room when around friends with an immunocompromised family member.

Of course, I expect that all sports leagues will be cancelled this summer because we will see a significant resurgence of the virus with the opening of the economy. In the future, the social response may be different. I expect that the burden of isolation may be shifted to the at-risk population by that point.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM

735 posts, read 452,457 times
My kid has been in soccer and basketball. Right now, she's just doing a couple of zoom practices a week, and play some basketball with her dad. I took her out for a long walk or to do some core exercises at home. She's surely much less active during this quarantined time. I can't wait for her being able to do real practices again (I think they still can do it the social distancing way).

Old 05-11-2020, 07:15 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
My 6 yr son had been doing hockey 3 times a week. My daughter had been doing gymnastics and dance weekly. They both had a weekly swim lesson. That’s all been done since March. Not sure when anything will be starting up again. We’re in the Boston area. I’ve gotten emails that they’re camp in July might be cancelled. Hopefully things will be back to normal by next year. I don’t want them to miss out on these activities.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:46 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
In an area with a lot of cases and deaths. No plans to restart any sports, and I certainly wouldn't let them go.

If we lived in an area with few cases, it would be a different matter and I would consider it, but right now things are still kinda hot where we live.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:25 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
Mine will do what they can do. I have to weigh the risk of covid to healthy kids with healthy parents against the psychological and physical benefits of sports. So, they will play when allowed. Especially the outdoor sports. One of mine is also skating in a small group for hockey. I’m not sure hockey will really come back this year, but he can do their regulated small group skates. I have one in fencing and I’m really not worried about that. I will just be washing the gear more and spraying down his helmet more.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:35 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I have a 10 year old son that is active in sports. Before Covid 19 he was playing baseball and club soccer during spring. Both of those sports stopped mid-March. Currently, they are not playing, but I have started to receive emails from his coaches that the leagues are looking into playing baseball in June and July. His soccer coach's last email was to plan to start practicing for fall season in June. We, as his parents, are thinking about what we should do, but having a hard time to decide without hearing from both leagues on how they will implement practice, games or tournaments going forward.

I'm just curious as to what other parents that may be in this situation are/plan to do? Will you let you kids participate in whatever sport they play in summer or what till fall season? Thanks for the input in advance.
As with everything COVID related, see what the department of health and medical professionals say. And only listen to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting