U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:26 PM

16,003 posts, read 10,395,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
First off I am not talking about myself in regards to being unemployed. I am commenting on how insensitive your thread is, and you are totally clueless with the statement you made regarding special needs children(no I don't have a special needs child but I know people who do.

I can look at people in situations and have empathy.

You think everyone can work from home? Are you aware domestic abuse is way, way up.

Yes, family comes first but you might want to listen to the Glenn Frye of The Eagles song "I Got Mine" and see if it reminds you of anyone.
You're taking it wrong way, there's no way this pandemic is blessing for anyone. It changes everything but atleast it helps many working parents who had to deal with shuffling their around daycare centers. I'm grateful that I'm in an industry that are not impacted financially by this pandemic. I don't know anyone that's been laid off either. But I do know the numbers are grim that large amount of unemployed but I have faith that the government will help steer the country through this crisis because it is global crisis.

What is a blessing during this crisis is for people who can work at home, they can be with their families and not have to worry about going out and putting their lives at risk. This may sound selfish but there are millions of people that are working at home today and be able to watch over their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 11:04 PM

17,761 posts, read 21,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
A person's opinion about this pandemic is very self focused. If you still have a job that you can work from home, if your kids are at an age where they are self-sufficient, then great for you. You are saving money on commuting, saving time that you can spend with your kids, and you most likely got a stimulus check to boot. Life is good.

But for many others this is a terrible time. Parents of children with special needs need their child to go to school to get the one-on-one instruction and frankly a break for the parents. To attempt to work from home full time and overlook instruction is challenging to downright impossible.

Then you have parents who lost their jobs. Many states' unemployment websites (like California) are overwhelmed so there are many who have received no money and have no way to pay their bills. Imagine losing your income, your benefits, only now you still have to supervise your children at home for school.

My husband got laid off (energy sector). My kids are self-sufficient teens.Fortunately we are in a good spot to weather this but I have to be honest when I read posts that are "rah rah love the time at home let's never go back" it gets old and frankly, frustrating.
Sorry to hear your husband lost his job.

Exactly, the bolded parts these are recipes for a "perfect storm", where there could be violence with injurry or worse. There is already a post on here about the wife having anger issues regarding her six year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You're taking it wrong way, there's no way this pandemic is blessing for anyone. It changes everything but atleast it helps many working parents who had to deal with shuffling their around daycare centers. I'm grateful that I'm in an industry that are not impacted financially by this pandemic. I don't know anyone that's been laid off either. But I do know the numbers are grim that large amount of unemployed but I have faith that the government will help steer the country through this crisis because it is global crisis.

What is a blessing during this crisis is for people who can work at home, they can be with their families and not have to worry about going out and putting their lives at risk. This may sound selfish but there are millions of people that are working at home today and be able to watch over their children.
What did I take the wrong way? You're the one said this pandemic is a blessing for many working parents, not me.

You should run for office...LOL. You say one thing and than try and turn it around like you didn't say it , when you did.

I do know four people here in CA who have been laid off. I never said I didn't know anyone, said I wasn't in that situation. As the poster I quoted said they still haven't got their first check, they were laid off over a month ago.

You have faith in the govt? Whom do you think let this happen in the first place.=? Try educating yourself about the facts, the recovery rate which is more than 98%, the age and serious health issues for the ones who did pass for the most part. How long do you think you can stay in your house? Are you aware that lowers your immune system?

When the solution is worse than the problem, it is never good.

We are seeing an economic downturn that rivals the GD of the 30s. It took the US 12 years to make a full recovery. Think many are in for a rude awakening as the reality hasn't seem to quite grasped how dire it is.

I don't think that many Americans get that, well they will.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:18 PM

16,003 posts, read 10,395,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry to hear your husband lost his job.

Exactly, the bolded parts these are recipes for a "perfect storm", where there could be violence with injurry or worse. There is already a post on here about the wife having anger issues regarding her six year old.

What did I take the wrong way? You're the one said this pandemic is a blessing for many working parents, not me.

You should run for office...LOL. You say one thing and than try and turn it around like you didn't say it , when you did.

I do know four people here in CA who have been laid off. I never said I didn't know anyone, said I wasn't in that situation. As the poster I quoted said they still haven't got their first check, they were laid off over a month ago.

You have faith in the govt? Whom do you think let this happen in the first place.=? Try educating yourself about the facts, the recovery rate which is more than 98%, the age and serious health issues for the ones who did pass for the most part. How long do you think you can stay in your house? Are you aware that lowers your immune system?

When the solution is worse than the problem, it is never good.

We are seeing an economic downturn that rivals the GD of the 30s. It took the US 12 years to make a full recovery. Think many are in for a rude awakening as the reality hasn't seem to quite grasped how dire it is.

I don't think that many Americans get that, well they will.
Coronavirus pandemic may actually be bringing families together

I'm not the only one that shares this opinion as this article points out similar reasons.

I have faith in the Feds that in the long run the strength of the dollar will keep our economy going. If this was any other country they cannot simply print more money like we can. I know many industries are gonna get clobbered by this disease but there's no safe alternative. People will need to adapt, the Feds have to make another round of stimulus to keep people from falling behind as there's no way we can return back to the past without getting people immunized against this virus.

The US did not take 12 years to make full recovery, it means a lot of Americans were left behind by the new economy. The stock market needed just 2 years to start begin the longest running bull run in history that lasted until this pandemic began.

I think you are making a lot assumptions, I know for sure we're gonna be working from home until next year and companies alike already made plans for permanent remote work until there is a vaccine.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:51 AM

713 posts, read 411,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I wouldn't say it's a blessing.

Rather, I'd say that there are certain upsides - which exist alongside some very significant downsides.
I would say that it has positive aspects for some working parents. And many negative aspects for most.

One of my kids has a senior role in finance and partner has role in IT where he often has to work at night. They upgraded their home late last year when this crisis was nowhere to be seen. As they are in the most expensive area of the country (prices like San Francisco) one of them giving up their job is not really a option right now.

It has been a nightmare for them as we have had five weeks where I have not been able to help and where the kids have had to be at home. The older child manages well enough but not the younger.

We often watch the Italian news as we speak Italian. They have been showing families there living in, by our standards, tiny apartments. One had three autistic children and their lockdown has meant that children were not allowed outside for eight weeks. Unbelievably stressful.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 AM

25 posts, read 4,577 times
Quote:

But not having child care during the work day is why this has been so tough for working parents. The purpose of daycare is to provide a place for children to be supervised and cared for so their parents can focus work, then put a pin in at the end of the day and go home on end of the day and focus on parenting. That one element that makes working less stressful for parents with young children has been removed for an indefinite length of time, while the work responsibilities remain.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:34 PM

566 posts, read 339,142 times
Quote:

"This pandemic is a blessing for many working parents"

"there's no way this pandemic is blessing for anyone..."

Ummm.... ?

Old 05-14-2020, 02:56 PM

17,761 posts, read 21,866,277 times
Quote:

I'm not the only one that shares this opinion as this article points out similar reasons.

I have faith in the Feds that in the long run the strength of the dollar will keep our economy going. If this was any other country they cannot simply print more money like we can. I know many industries are gonna get clobbered by this disease but there's no safe alternative. People will need to adapt, the Feds have to make another round of stimulus to keep people from falling behind as there's no way we can return back to the past without getting people immunized against this virus.

The US did not take 12 years to make full recovery, it means a lot of Americans were left behind by the new economy. The stock market needed just 2 years to start begin the longest running bull run in history that lasted until this pandemic began.

I think you are making a lot assumptions, I know for sure we're gonna be working from home until next year and companies alike already made plans for permanent remote work until there is a vaccine.

Wrong, the US didn't make a full recovery until we entered WW2 in 1941. That is a fact.

You really think people who have lost their jobs care about another check? I guess you think you can just keep printing money, oh my.

You don't have a good grasp on how economics work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
"This pandemic is a blessing for many working parents"

"there's no way this pandemic is blessing for anyone...

Ummm.... ?
LOL.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:16 PM

713 posts, read 411,854 times
Quote:

Have you researched how other countries are assisting their citizens? I can assure you the US is not unique in spending a fortune in that way. We do not receive “checks” but payments into our bank accounts (as I presume most of you do too)

At the moment daycare and aftercare are free, schools have been open all the time for essential workers, in my state all kids will hopefully be back in school by Monday week. My grandson is resuming his tennis lessons tomorrow, playgrounds opened again today.

Yet it is still really tough for most of the parents who have young children and have to work from home.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:02 AM

313 posts, read 72,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I have worked in the online learning space for 15 years. I’m all for it but it’s no replacement for in the classroom teaching especially for younger kids.
I disagree with you here...
My cousins were homeschooled through all the way through until high school graduation. They are really smart and well educated.
My landlord home schooled her kids through until high school graduation... same thing.

I remember when my daughter was in middle school she was invited to some Intel camp thing... EVERY other kid but her, had been home schooled.. and they were soooo far ahead of her (and she is really smart!). Ive always been impressed with homeschooled kids.
I think when kids are homeschooled, they are taught to think.. rather than spit back what they 'learn'. Its more like the British school system. They learn to excel at their own pace... and be curious and thirsty for new things.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM

313 posts, read 72,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Op, thank you for finding the good in this.
I am pleased you chose to share your experience here. It's yours to express.
Keep up the daily interactions.
I would suggest keeping an umbrella handy ..some like to rain on parades .
I like to March along
I agree... some see the silver lining, some are doom and gloom.
Im taking care of my 4 year old Granddaughter during this - I have to be off from work anyway... and since her daycare center closed, and my daughter is a single parent and her business is essential, therefore she still goes to work each day (which is so very important now, because her ex stopped paying any support at all) ... it works out well.
I get my Granddaughter from 730a-530p mon - fri. We do 'school' - she can now write her first and last name.. something she couldnt when she was at preschool... she can also count to 33 ... with the exception of 'eleventeen' LOL and we are starting on reading with phonics. She is also diagnosed with 'high functioning Austism' (it used to be called 'Aspergers") along with ADHD, ODD, OCD, SPD and a host of other issues. BUT... her being with me, so her momma can work - and the 'one on one' care I can provide her... has been blessing.

For some its a nightmare... for others, its a blessing.
Its just like life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or