U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 AM
 
8,615 posts, read 5,226,115 times
Reputation: 22696

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
I disagree with you here...
My cousins were homeschooled through all the way through until high school graduation. They are really smart and well educated.
My landlord home schooled her kids through until high school graduation... same thing.

I remember when my daughter was in middle school she was invited to some Intel camp thing... EVERY other kid but her, had been home schooled.. and they were soooo far ahead of her (and she is really smart!). Ive always been impressed with homeschooled kids.
I think when kids are homeschooled, they are taught to think.. rather than spit back what they 'learn'. Its more like the British school system. They learn to excel at their own pace... and be curious and thirsty for new things.
I homeschooled my kids through eighth grade and they did very well when they transitioned to regular school. They weren't behind in any way.

But homeschooling is NOT for everyone. I did it because I wanted to. I was confident in my ability to teach the elementary subjects. Many parents are not, or don't have time, or it's just not something they want to do. If you force parents into it against their will, it will not go well.

The online system of the moment is the worst of both worlds. The teachers aren't in their usual classroom setting with their techniques and props geared for real-life teaching. They can barely interact with the children. The level of material being taught has gone way down and less will be covered over the school year (I can attest to this because two of my kids are experiencing it). Parents aren't actually teaching; they have little to no control over what is being taught and when. It's nothing like actual homeschooling.

And I would certainly agree that there are many things that are best taught in person by a teacher who is an expert in that field. I outsourced some classes for my homeschooled kids starting in second or third grade. I didn't teach them absolutely everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2020, 08:51 AM
 
32 posts, read 8,548 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Coronavirus pandemic may actually be bringing families together

I'm not the only one that shares this opinion as this article points out similar reasons.

I have faith in the Feds that in the long run the strength of the dollar will keep our economy going. If this was any other country they cannot simply print more money like we can. I know many industries are gonna get clobbered by this disease but there's no safe alternative. People will need to adapt, the Feds have to make another round of stimulus to keep people from falling behind as there's no way we can return back to the past without getting people immunized against this virus.

The US did not take 12 years to make full recovery, it means a lot of Americans were left behind by the new economy. The stock market needed just 2 years to start begin the longest running bull run in history that lasted until this pandemic began.

I think you are making a lot assumptions, I know for sure we're gonna be working from home until next year and companies alike already made plans for permanent remote work until there is a vaccine.
Not everyone is able to have the luxury of working from home, a lot of small businesses are hurting and having to close, I’m fortunate because my husbands business is considered essential, but I feel for small businesses and their employees.
This pandemic is hard on the little ones as well, they are not getting the social interaction with their peers, canceled activities, playing with their friends Etc... worse for children in abusive homes that now no one can intercede for them.

Yes there could be blessing from this in families who are strong and no worries about where their next paycheck is going to be and their kids are older, but this isn’t everyone’s situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 AM
 
6,054 posts, read 2,796,077 times
Reputation: 7639
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's live to work problem with Americans. You should put your family first and foremost and make decisions prioritizing your family. Losing a job in this pandemic is not your anyone's fault and you can get longer term unemployment benefits and get rent or mortgage assistance. Feeding a family now shouldn't be a big problem unless you don't have enough savings and have too much debt. If you lost your job, other than paying for food and basic utilities, the rent and mortgage payments can be stalled if you work it out with the lenders.

Those single moms with special needs kids, now is the perfect time to spend some time at home with your kid instead of relying on outside care which can be very expensive. I know moms that have to drop their kid off daily at child care and it isn't cheap at all around here. Now with work from home, you can make adjustments to ensure you can take care of your kids and do your work.

Single moms should benefit even more from working from home.
Wow - what a holier than tho attitude! Get off your pedestal. As stated -it may be working for you but it's not working for a good majority of people. Those who have to teleconference be they a teacher of business person has their hands full - and many of my friends are in this situation. Others are having a hard time trying to help their children with subjects that aren't taught like we were taught.

While I agree with putting family first - you have no right to dictate or ASSume that others have the same options which vary by state and region.

I'm glad it's brought your family back together but it's destroying others. Let's not even get into the fact that man of these spouses and children live with those with addictions or bad tempers that may lead to physical harm and now they are confronted with it 24/7.

I'm happy with my life although it's not the best because it could always be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Oregon
337 posts, read 76,347 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I homeschooled my kids through eighth grade and they did very well when they transitioned to regular school. They weren't behind in any way.

But homeschooling is NOT for everyone. I did it because I wanted to. I was confident in my ability to teach the elementary subjects. Many parents are not, or don't have time, or it's just not something they want to do. If you force parents into it against their will, it will not go well.

The online system of the moment is the worst of both worlds. The teachers aren't in their usual classroom setting with their techniques and props geared for real-life teaching. They can barely interact with the children. The level of material being taught has gone way down and less will be covered over the school year (I can attest to this because two of my kids are experiencing it). Parents aren't actually teaching; they have little to no control over what is being taught and when. It's nothing like actual homeschooling.

And I would certainly agree that there are many things that are best taught in person by a teacher who is an expert in that field. I outsourced some classes for my homeschooled kids starting in second or third grade. I didn't teach them absolutely everything.
Oh I agree that its not for everyone.
Well done for getting them through 8th grade!!
I know my cousins were part of a homeschooling community... so I think they did the same... some parents were good at science and others at Maths.. so I think they traded off.
Homeschooling also isnt for every child (IMHO)
And yeah!! the 'online' stuff is for the birds!! (again IMHO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 PM
 
Location: NYC
16,078 posts, read 10,416,682 times
Reputation: 18596
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Wow - what a holier than tho attitude! Get off your pedestal. As stated -it may be working for you but it's not working for a good majority of people. Those who have to teleconference be they a teacher of business person has their hands full - and many of my friends are in this situation. Others are having a hard time trying to help their children with subjects that aren't taught like we were taught.

While I agree with putting family first - you have no right to dictate or ASSume that others have the same options which vary by state and region.

I'm glad it's brought your family back together but it's destroying others. Let's not even get into the fact that man of these spouses and children live with those with addictions or bad tempers that may lead to physical harm and now they are confronted with it 24/7.

I'm happy with my life although it's not the best because it could always be worse.
That is not what this post is about, it is a blessing for "many" working parents. Never said it applies to everyone. But, lock down orders are important right now regardless how much it hurts jobs and businesses. If the infections aren't under control we will be even worst off.

A lot of people are sounding off about the restrictions but it is because of it that we are flattening the curve in many areas. If people don't work from home and all go out to work, the numbers would be drastically different.

Kids are better off being home right now, there is no need for schools to resume until there are proven treatments and vaccine to deal with this pandemic. We all need to adjust to this new norm, it's gonna be like this for the next 12-18 month atleast. That's the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 03:56 PM
 
8,615 posts, read 5,226,115 times
Reputation: 22696
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That is not what this post is about, it is a blessing for "many" working parents. Never said it applies to everyone. But, lock down orders are important right now regardless how much it hurts jobs and businesses. If the infections aren't under control we will be even worst off.

A lot of people are sounding off about the restrictions but it is because of it that we are flattening the curve in many areas. If people don't work from home and all go out to work, the numbers would be drastically different.

Kids are better off being home right now, there is no need for schools to resume until there are proven treatments and vaccine to deal with this pandemic. We all need to adjust to this new norm, it's gonna be like this for the next 12-18 month atleast. That's the fact.
Let's just say I couldn't disagree with you more about the parts I bolded. And I am speaking as someone whose small business is most likely going to be all right, and who kept her kids home and homeschooled them for years. Jobs, business, and kids/families in general are NOT going to be OK if we stay locked down for the next 18 months. If our families and livelihoods go down, we all go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Sydney Australia
722 posts, read 414,519 times
Reputation: 1118
Our schools have started resuming and hopefully in our state all students we be back on Monday week. And the parents are joyful. As are the kids.

The idea of kids being out of school for months or years is terrifying. People who choose to homeschool (who are few and far between here ) are in a completely different situation to people trying to work and deal with online learning at the same time.

People here are having difficulty dealing with the jargon of online lessons. Unfortunately many of the parents went through the system when grammar and specific writing was not taught here and are struggling to assist with that in particular. DD reported yesterday that child in Year 1 developed a sore hand when he needed to do a task involving persuasive letter writing! I spent a day helping and was challenged with having to help him redesign the enclosures in one of our zoos, the link to which would not work.

To be honest most of the work is either too easy or too difficult. The teachers have had to develop it all so quickly and in the classroom they would be modifying their lessons constantly.

One of my grandkids, aged five, has just had his first full week back at school. It has made the family life much much easier and more pleasant. I was getting seriously worried about the amount of stress in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 04:54 PM
 
17,779 posts, read 21,881,040 times
Reputation: 36035
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Let's just say I couldn't disagree with you more about the parts I bolded. And I am speaking as someone whose small business is most likely going to be all right, and who kept her kids home and homeschooled them for years. Jobs, business, and kids/families in general are NOT going to be OK if we stay locked down for the next 18 months. If our families and livelihoods go down, we all go down.

Exactly, The OP might want to start thinking about her teen's future. When they can't go to college, and have difficulty with employment, and will live at home for the next 15 years.


Also thinking her job is safe because she can work from home is naïve at best, all kinds of sectors are being impacted. The "out of sight out mind" doesn't work in this scenario.

A "blessing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 05:44 PM
 
5,645 posts, read 2,474,059 times
Reputation: 11045
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That is not what this post is about, it is a blessing for "many" working parents. Never said it applies to everyone. But, lock down orders are important right now regardless how much it hurts jobs and businesses. If the infections aren't under control we will be even worst off.

A lot of people are sounding off about the restrictions but it is because of it that we are flattening the curve in many areas. If people don't work from home and all go out to work, the numbers would be drastically different.

Kids are better off being home right now, there is no need for schools to resume until there are proven treatments and vaccine to deal with this pandemic. We all need to adjust to this new norm, it's gonna be like this for the next 12-18 month atleast. That's the fact.
I have a friend who is a district superintendent and she is pretty much praying school comes back in the fall. She would thoroughly disagree and has talked to many parents who say that home schooling/e-learning is not working. My friend runs a small district that was actually lucky enough to be able to roll out iPads/tablets for everyone prior to the pandemic starting. I imagine it has to be MUCH worse in districts that are large and don’t have the ability to do that.

I know when I was in school, overcrowded schools were often doing double days, with half the students coming in the morning and half in the afternoon. There are other options to consider to allow for the appropriate social distancing. It will still be difficult for parents, but having kids in school from 7-1 or 12-6 is certainly going to be better than not having them in school at all. Presumably with this structure, daycares would also be able to social distance since half the kids would be in school and half would be out.

In situations where e-learning works, the curriculum is specifically designed for e-learning and teachers are trained to teach that way. I have two friends who have been teaching for Florida Virtual School for years, but that is an entirely different type of teaching job than the job of a regular teacher. They spend much more time on the phone with their students and have required calls with them (and sometimes the parents) on a regular basis, in addition to other regular contacts with the students electronically. Unless the setup is there, it is not like you can just throw the elearning together. The students to do it- some of who are doing it for extra classes and some who are just doing it as home schoolers in lieu of a traditional public school- are motivated to do e-learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2020, 06:47 PM
 
Location: MD, CA, TX
125 posts, read 14,124 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Background, my kids are all teenagers now. I've always been working long hours and rarely get to enjoy my earned time off. I've never get to see my kids as much during normal times and with this pandemic it brings families closer than before.

In a typical working day, I would see my kids in the morning as I drop them off for school and then come home for dinner around 7pm and would only see them probably around 2 hours the most each day.

Now, we have breakfast, lunch, and dinner together everyday. My kids are healthier now since we have more time to prepare their food at home. My youngest son was getting overweight from eating too many snacks in the school. Now he is less overweight. My daughter was too skinny because she doesn't like school lunch but now she is gaining weight because she eats more food at home that she enjoys.

As for schooling, we ensure our kids are up everyday and have breakfast then hop on their remote school sessions and do their homework before they get to relax.

I also require they do more chores around the house just to stay active. I believe in the short run this is good for them. I would hope they can return to school by next Fall so they still have time to prepare for college entrance.
I'm so glad you see it that way.. I am a proud stay at home mom and so I always see my kids. The oldest will start kindergarten next year and I will drive her. I have no intention on working for many years.

I get mad when I see parents annoyed by having to teach their kids. Be a parent! Be there for your kids. I am also very glad this pandemic happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top