U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 02:09 PM

62,618 posts, read 59,469,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgrl84 View Post
I'm so glad you see it that way.. I am a proud stay at home mom and so I always see my kids. The oldest will start kindergarten next year and I will drive her. I have no intention on working for many years.

I get mad when I see parents annoyed by having to teach their kids. Be a parent! Be there for your kids. I am also very glad this pandemic happened.
I know five people dead of this virus, two of them women I knew all my life, and others I didn't know personally but know of who have died, such as the wife of a former boss.

But you're glad.

I am horrified that you are a parent, let alone one who will pass this lack of compassion on to malleable children.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Status: "For the night is dark and full of terrors" (set 14 days ago)

17,573 posts, read 8,283,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're glad about the people that died? You're glad 36 million Americans are out of work? You're glad domestic abuse is up? That crime is on the rise?

WOW.
While the comment could be read that way, take into context, I'm going to give the poster the benefit of the doubt that her "glad" factor comes exclusively from the pandemic enabling more people to be able to spend time with their children, and not actually because covid is a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 04:28 PM

7,735 posts, read 13,649,319 times
Quote:
I'm so glad you see it that way.. I am a proud stay at home mom and so I always see my kids. The oldest will start kindergarten next year and I will drive her. I have no intention on working for many years.

I get mad when I see parents annoyed by having to teach their kids. Be a parent! Be there for your kids. I am also very glad this pandemic happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While the comment could be read that way, take into context, I'm going to give the poster the benefit of the doubt that her "glad" factor comes exclusively from the pandemic enabling more people to be able to spend time with their children, and not actually because covid is a thing.
You are more generous in your reading of that completely outrageous statement than most of us.

"I am also very glad this pandemic happened." Holy crap, how can any one with a working brain write a statement like that?

The poster who wrote that is frankly nuts and completely lacking in empathy for the millions if not billions of people who are suffering right now. There's simply not a nice way to write this because that statement was so freakin' insane.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:10 PM

25 posts, read 5,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know five people dead of this virus, two of them women I knew all my life, and others I didn't know personally but know of who have died, such as the wife of a former boss.

But you're glad.

I am horrified that you are a parent, let alone one who will pass this lack of compassion on to malleable children.
+1. I first came down with it in late March and it was terrifying. Obviously survived, but one of my neighbors was not so fortunate.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:11 PM

62,618 posts, read 59,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
+1. I first came down with it in late March and it was terrifying. Obviously survived, but one of my neighbors was not so fortunate.
Glad you did.

Love your handle. I've collected many myself.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:48 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,379,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You're taking it wrong way, there's no way this pandemic is blessing for anyone. It changes everything but atleast it helps many working parents who had to deal with shuffling their around daycare centers. I'm grateful that I'm in an industry that are not impacted financially by this pandemic. I don't know anyone that's been laid off either. But I do know the numbers are grim that large amount of unemployed but I have faith that the government will help steer the country through this crisis because it is global crisis.

What is a blessing during this crisis is for people who can work at home, they can be with their families and not have to worry about going out and putting their lives at risk. This may sound selfish but there are millions of people that are working at home today and be able to watch over their children.
... and the trade off is having to work and try to teach their kids at the same time. It's less than ideal at best. I don't want to think about what it is at worst. Not all households are safe and functional. This situation could lead to abuse with no teacher in the picture to report it.

Quote:
But not having child care during the work day is why this has been so tough for working parents. The purpose of daycare is to provide a place for children to be supervised and cared for so their parents can focus work, then put a pin in at the end of the day and go home on end of the day and focus on parenting. That one element that makes working less stressful for parents with young children has been removed for an indefinite length of time, while the work responsibilities remain.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
I disagree with you here...
My cousins were homeschooled through all the way through until high school graduation. They are really smart and well educated.
My landlord home schooled her kids through until high school graduation... same thing.

I remember when my daughter was in middle school she was invited to some Intel camp thing... EVERY other kid but her, had been home schooled.. and they were soooo far ahead of her (and she is really smart!). Ive always been impressed with homeschooled kids.
I think when kids are homeschooled, they are taught to think.. rather than spit back what they 'learn'. Its more like the British school system. They learn to excel at their own pace... and be curious and thirsty for new things.
on-line learning with little notice or preparation for the parents or the school is not the same as homeschooling. They aren't comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That is not what this post is about, it is a blessing for "many" working parents. Never said it applies to everyone. But, lock down orders are important right now regardless how much it hurts jobs and businesses. If the infections aren't under control we will be even worst off.

A lot of people are sounding off about the restrictions but it is because of it that we are flattening the curve in many areas. If people don't work from home and all go out to work, the numbers would be drastically different.

Kids are better off being home right now, there is no need for schools to resume until there are proven treatments and vaccine to deal with this pandemic
. We all need to adjust to this new norm, it's gonna be like this for the next 12-18 month atleast. That's the fact.
I agree with you that the lock-down/stay home orders are necessary. Not all kids are better off. Think about families that live in poverty, and don't even have a car to go pick up their free lunch; kids with special needs that can't get therapies or specialized education/attention; parents who have to work and have no grandparents or other child care available; kids who live in abusive homes... there are any number of reasons that a lot of kids are not better off at home.

Quote:

I get mad when I see parents annoyed by having to teach their kids. Be a parent! Be there for your kids. I am also very glad this pandemic happened
I've seen a lot of hate for working parents on the forum over the years. Criticizing people during a pandemic tops them all.

uuummmm... other than the obvious reasons your comment about being glad the pandemic happened is awful, insensitive, and pretty much sociopathic, if you are home with preschoolers anyway, what on earth are you glad about? Your aren't getting unexpected time with your kids. That didn't change for you. You ignoring the nightmare that this is for everyone else is one of the worst things I've heard anyone say about this, and that's really saying something.

Quote:
Not that a perfect stranger is in the position to unsolicitedly tell me (or anyone else) what to do... but I was a stay-at home-parent when my kids were small. Now I’m a working parent (partially at home, partially outside of the home) of teenagers.
Same. I count myself lucky every single day that I can work from home, and that my kids are teens and can do their school work and take care of themselves so I can mostly concentrate on my job. I'm not blind to what others are dealing with like some of these people.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:52 PM

17,777 posts, read 21,877,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Please, I didn't take anything out of context, and it looks like others see that as well.

That was a horrific thing to say.

So let's not play the "don't judge" card. That was a very ignorant thing to say.

She also can't speak for other parents. I have friends who have a 13 year old daughter who is in special education, they're having a rough go of this, there are millions across the country for various reasons who are having a tough time.

The only compliment I can give her(And it's not really a compliment) is it made what the OP said pale in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

But you're glad.

Sorry for you loss, that is lot to have to deal with.

I think most would be horrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You are more generous in your reading of that completely outrageous statement than most of us.

"I am also very glad this pandemic happened." Holy crap, how can any one with a working brain write a statement like that?

The poster who wrote that is frankly nuts and completely lacking in empathy for the millions if not billions of people who are suffering right now. There's simply not a nice way to write this because that statement was so freakin' insane.
You got it. Had she said something along the lines of "while this pandemic due to the loss of life, the economic impact. and so many people are struggling, for my family we have become closer during the lockdown".

I know many people are drinking more at home, but still no excuse for that.

OP, try reading back what you write going forward before hitting submit reply.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:57 PM

10,720 posts, read 9,389,571 times
Quote:
Also thinking her job is safe because she can work from home is naïve at best, all kinds of sectors are being impacted. The "out of sight out mind" doesn't work in this scenario.

A "blessing".
Even essential businesses are failing. My family is in the restaurant business. We have 220 employees and all were laid off.

Quote:
I am also very glad this pandemic happened.
I am horrified you are a parent.

People have DIED because of this pandemic.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:13 AM

9,783 posts, read 10,317,983 times
It should not take a Global Pandemic to free someone from the tyranny of a 1.5 hour (each way) commute. It should not take a Global Pandemic to allow anyone more quality time with their teenage (or younger children). It should not take a Global Pandemic to force a cheating spouse to stop their creeping and stay home. It should not take a Global Pandemic to force an employer to allow someone to work from home. If any of these things allows someone to feel better about the present situation I suggest that maybe they were wrong to not have addressed those issues before this crisis.

Rather than being thankful for what is only a respite, a temporary freedom from having to face real issues. I would be at work on making it so I don't have to look forward to catastrophes instead of having a life that works, even in normal times. This is not the first thread I've seen about the 'upsides' of this disaster. For me there aren't any. I don't personally know anyone who died, but I am sorry for them and their loved ones. I am really wondering how life will ever be normal again. Real and permanent harm has been done to our economy.

I find it interesting that I don't see many (any?) threads about how beautiful and green this Spring is. How amazing the air. I don't think I would be as upset if someone said "you know, the forced shutdown has been good for the plant and animal life that all our car use was harming". That would at least be true. Maybe we could think about learning from that that we might need to go to odd even license plate driving days or something. Being happy that the shut-down forces your family together? Not so much. It really shouldn't take a Pandemic to do that.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:25 AM
Status: "For the night is dark and full of terrors" (set 14 days ago)

17,573 posts, read 8,283,640 times
Quote:
Please, I didn't take anything out of context, and it looks like others see that as well.

That was a horrific thing to say.

So let's not play the "don't judge" card. That was a very ignorant thing to say.

She also can't speak for other parents. I have friends who have a 13 year old daughter who is in special education, they're having a rough go of this, there are millions across the country for various reasons who are having a tough time.

The only compliment I can give her(And it's not really a compliment) is it made what the OP said pale in comparison.

Sorry for you loss, that is lot to have to deal with.

I think most would be horrified.

You got it. Had she said something along the lines of "while this pandemic due to the loss of life, the economic impact. and so many people are struggling, for my family we have become closer during the lockdown".

I know many people are drinking more at home, but still no excuse for that.

OP, try reading back what you write going forward before hitting submit reply.
At the very least, a point of clarification should have been asked, IMO. I'm not going to assume that someone means they are glad for the death of hundreds of thousands of lives unless it is absolutely clear, especially given how clumsily that text can come across. You may, but I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or