U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 06:53 PM

19,660 posts, read 12,740,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Why do you assume parents wouldn't like to live the glorious life of caring for their children without worrying about also providing for their needs? I work for a charity, and know first hand how this pandemic has dealt a blow to families who were previously "making it".

I do see the bright side of families staying home together and rediscovering the fun of simpler entertainment.
But it's wrong to ignore the dark side. Parents are losing their jobs and scared.
Just because a parent is struggling does not mean they can not also spend time with their children. Like I said, in my early years, we were struggling financially, but we also found time to be mom and dad, and our family did everything together.

This is also an excellent opportunity for parents to teach their children important life lessons, things like strength through times of adversity, and being positive. I realize a lot of people have it very tough right now, but this will end, and things will, at some point , return to normal. Too many people are painting this as the end of the world, when it is more like just a bump in the road...……..albeit a serious bump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 07:23 PM

13,469 posts, read 21,845,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just because a parent is struggling does not mean they can not also spend time with their children. Like I said, in my early years, we were struggling financially, but we also found time to be mom and dad, and our family did everything together.

This is also an excellent opportunity for parents to teach their children important life lessons, things like strength through times of adversity, and being positive. I realize a lot of people have it very tough right now, but this will end, and things will, at some point , return to normal. Too many people are painting this as the end of the world, when it is more like just a bump in the road...……..albeit a serious bump.
Many parents struggle financially, now more than ever. But they still are capable of being fine parents, this virus hasn't, to use your words, "forced" them into that role. It's wrong to discount the added stress many are under right now, just because you didn't experience it years ago.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:35 PM

12,321 posts, read 7,275,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Background, my kids are all teenagers now. I've always been working long hours and rarely get to enjoy my earned time off. I've never get to see my kids as much during normal times and with this pandemic it brings families closer than before.

In a typical working day, I would see my kids in the morning as I drop them off for school and then come home for dinner around 7pm and would only see them probably around 2 hours the most each day.

Now, we have breakfast, lunch, and dinner together everyday. My kids are healthier now since we have more time to prepare their food at home. My youngest son was getting overweight from eating too many snacks in the school. Now he is less overweight. My daughter was too skinny because she doesn't like school lunch but now she is gaining weight because she eats more food at home that she enjoys.

As for schooling, we ensure our kids are up everyday and have breakfast then hop on their remote school sessions and do their homework before they get to relax.

I also require they do more chores around the house just to stay active. I believe in the short run this is good for them. I would hope they can return to school by next Fall so they still have time to prepare for college entrance.
My relative's families are younger. So, the working at home parents are doing a balancing act. Usually, one taking the morning, the other the afternoon. The kids are thriving and loving it though.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 PM

9,701 posts, read 9,329,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I am happy to be able to see my kids more. Prior to this I’d see them in the morning and when I got home from work at 530. Now I see them from when we wake up until they go to bed. 24/7. I am still working. As hard as this is I do appreciate being able to
See them. Whenever things return to normal I’ll probably be sad to see them less.
I wonder how much less work is getting done by employees. If they did a study I bet it's quite a bit less.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:16 PM

7,826 posts, read 3,772,319 times
Clouds might be in the sky...yet the sun remains shining.

Accept that some adults are taking this opportunity and making the best of it.

There is nothing wrong with an adult sharing the positive.

Heck I'm inspired by the thought a family can share some quality times.

Sounds to me the Debbie downers just want to be heard when Mary sunshine has the stage.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:30 PM

19,660 posts, read 12,740,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Many parents struggle financially, now more than ever. But they still are capable of being fine parents, this virus hasn't, to use your words, "forced" them into that role. It's wrong to discount the added stress many are under right now, just because you didn't experience it years ago.

You have no idea what "stress" I was under during those early years. Lost some jobs, had to move across country to find decent employment, lost almost everything we had a few times, etc. It is tough having a family when you are in your early 20's with no one to help you out financially. There were times when we were penniless.

BUT, you still have to keep a positive outlook for the sake of the people in your family who are looking at you for support and guidance. You can not let them see your despair or your failings. You still have to be the one who keeps things together and also keeps them from having burdens put on them that kids should never have to handle.

So, it is not like I am standing on some pulpit, preaching something I have no idea about. Been there, done it, and thank God, we were able to rise above it all and survive and end up ok.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:13 AM

5,646 posts, read 2,476,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I wonder how much less work is getting done by employees. If they did a study I bet it's quite a bit less.
They did one for my job (I work for a public agency with federal and state components) and generally people have been much more productive working from home. I have a family member working for the state component and they are hopeful that this will allow them to work from home. We do have some people who need to be in the office, but the current administration is against working at home because it is apparently pro-employee. It actually allows more to get done, even if kids are there. In the office, people are still getting distracted by a variety of things.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:30 AM

3,652 posts, read 3,557,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Clouds might be in the sky...yet the sun remains shining.

Accept that some adults are taking this opportunity and making the best of it.

There is nothing wrong with an adult sharing the positive.

Heck I'm inspired by the thought a family can share some quality times.

Sounds to me the Debbie downers just want to be heard when Mary sunshine has the stage.

The OP's title let us all know that she wasn't just sharing a positive. If she had titled her thread " This Pandemic has been a blessing for me" and this is why it would have come across much different.

There have been positives for my family, but I can also recognize that it hasn't been everyone.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 PM

6,890 posts, read 4,306,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The OP's title let us all know that she wasn't just sharing a positive. If she had titled her thread " This Pandemic has been a blessing for me" and this is why it would have come across much different.

There have been positives for my family, but I can also recognize that it hasn't been everyone.
The negativity on this thread has been relentless. OK, I get it, it's a negative time. Lots of people are hurting. But not everyone is. My family is doing well right now, in fact we're doing better than we were before the coronavirus hit. So, us plus the OP means there are at least two families out there that are being blessed by these circumstances. Maybe we're the only ones. But maybe we're not.

This doesn't mean that I'm not aware of the pain out there. Some of my friends are definitely hurting, and I try to help by lending a sympathetic ear when they want one. But some of the posters on this thread seem to be aghast that anyone, anywhere, might possibly be experiencing any kind of benefit or blessing right now.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:28 PM

3,652 posts, read 3,557,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The negativity on this thread has been relentless. OK, I get it, it's a negative time. Lots of people are hurting. But not everyone is. My family is doing well right now, in fact we're doing better than we were before the coronavirus hit. So, us plus the OP means there are at least two families out there that are being blessed by these circumstances. Maybe we're the only ones. But maybe we're not.

This doesn't mean that I'm not aware of the pain out there. Some of my friends are definitely hurting, and I try to help by lending a sympathetic ear when they want one. But some of the posters on this thread seem to be aghast that anyone, anywhere, might possibly be experiencing any kind of benefit or blessing right now.
This is the crux of the issue that most have with the OP. You recognize that it's not a blessing for all...the OP refuses to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or