U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 09:51 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,486,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just because a parent is struggling does not mean they can not also spend time with their children. Like I said, in my early years, we were struggling financially, but we also found time to be mom and dad, and our family did everything together.

This is also an excellent opportunity for parents to teach their children important life lessons, things like strength through times of adversity, and being positive. I realize a lot of people have it very tough right now, but this will end, and things will, at some point , return to normal. Too many people are painting this as the end of the world, when it is more like just a bump in the road...……..albeit a serious bump.
Being forced to spend time at home doesn't suddenly make you good parent or a happy family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Background, my kids are all teenagers now. I've always been working long hours and rarely get to enjoy my earned time off. I've never get to see my kids as much during normal times and with this pandemic it brings families closer than before.

In a typical working day, I would see my kids in the morning as I drop them off for school and then come home for dinner around 7pm and would only see them probably around 2 hours the most each day.

Now, we have breakfast, lunch, and dinner together everyday. My kids are healthier now since we have more time to prepare their food at home. My youngest son was getting overweight from eating too many snacks in the school. Now he is less overweight. My daughter was too skinny because she doesn't like school lunch but now she is gaining weight because she eats more food at home that she enjoys.

As for schooling, we ensure our kids are up everyday and have breakfast then hop on their remote school sessions and do their homework before they get to relax.

I also require they do more chores around the house just to stay active. I believe in the short run this is good for them. I would hope they can return to school by next Fall so they still have time to prepare for college entrance.
I have younger kids. It's been hell on Earth. That is all.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

33 posts, read 5,381 times
No, this has not been good for anyone I know. Even the parents who are capable of homeschooling. One, they can't homeschool when they're working full-time. And two, they can't homeschool when the kids are already spending hours glued to a screen doing some half-baked school assignments. By the time they're done, they're done, cranky, stir-crazy and just need some outdoors time. I'm not even talking about the parents who still work outside the home, or the kids with attention disorders who struggle to focus even more outside of a classroom, or the families with multiple kids with different ages and learning needs. And then there are the families with babies and toddlers, heaven help us, I spend hours all day making sure the toddler doesn't hurt herself, or smash all the dishes, or get her hands on Sharpies, or break someone's computer, or pour milk on her head, or or or... and she doesn't sleep well either.

Old Today, 01:04 AM

773 posts, read 431,104 times
Obviously we have a different school year here with the longer break in our summer over Christmas.
So in my state the kids started to learn from home a week or two before the Easter two week vacation. All kids returned to face to face school in Week 5 after a staggered start.

So back on the school run with the grandkids it was interesting to ask what they thought of it all. So Master 8 said it was great to be back with his friends but he did prefer the online learning. The reason being that he really likes using devices and his parents normally limit it quite a bit. He had to get a new computer as both parents were working online with theirs. And he was allowed to be using it all day!

Master 5, in kindy, had hardly been at school long enough to make a comparison but he is so happy chasing his friends around in the park after school that I think that school is where he needs to be.

The parents are immensely relieved that school is back. An occasional school has had to close for a few days if there is a virus cases connected with it. Everyone hopes it won’t be theirs. One school near us had to close for nearly two weeks as the teacher concerned was a support teacher who had been in contact with most kids.

The reaction was one of great sympathy for all concerned, especially at the reversion to the learning from home for the kids. And a huge sigh of relief when the school was able to resume without any more cases being detected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or