Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:25 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

I have worked in the online learning space for 15 years. I’m all for it but it’s no replacement for in the classroom teaching especially for younger kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's live to work problem with Americans. You should put your family first and foremost and make decisions prioritizing your family. Losing a job in this pandemic is not your anyone's fault and you can get longer term unemployment benefits and get rent or mortgage assistance. Feeding a family now shouldn't be a big problem unless you don't have enough savings and have too much debt. If you lost your job, other than paying for food and basic utilities, the rent and mortgage payments can be stalled if you work it out with the lenders.

Those single moms with special needs kids, now is the perfect time to spend some time at home with your kid instead of relying on outside care which can be very expensive. I know moms that have to drop their kid off daily at child care and it isn't cheap at all around here. Now with work from home, you can make adjustments to ensure you can take care of your kids and do your work.

Single moms should benefit even more from working from home.
Mortgage assistance in many cases is a forbearance and when it's over the past due amount has to be paid in full in some cases. If they couldn't pay now how will they pay what they owe in 3/4 months of not working?

What if those special needs kids need therapies that they can't get? Or what about the kids that have IEP/504 plans and not being able to be taught how they need to be? My son has an auditory disorder and being taught by a video isn't the best way for him.

I've been able to work from home through all of this which makes it a little easier for me, but I know that's not the case for all. I feel for the parents that are essential and have to make a choice between working, staying at home with their kids, or sending them to daycare/getting a babysitter.

That's great that this is working for you but it's not working for all.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:38 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The OP did not claim that it was working well for everyone. They claimed that it was working well FOR THEM.

In all the doom and gloom we've been hearing in the news and on social media, it probably comes as a surprise to some people that there are some folks who are actually benefitting from the current situation. But yeah, it IS working out well for some folks. I don't think it detracts from the suffering of others to acknowledge that not everyone is in that same boat.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
It's a blessing because you are in a position for it to be a blessing of some sort. Now put yourself working the midnight shift and having three kids in elementary school, and let me know how much of a blessing that is.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:17 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's a blessing because you are in a position for it to be a blessing of some sort. Now put yourself working the midnight shift and having three kids in elementary school, and let me know how much of a blessing that is.
I would suggest separating your scenario from the topic. It's not about your happenstance.. It's about how another adult has found a positive and is benefiting from it. Care to be supportive?

And for you,I say...there are many blessings as well. Three children without maladies. A career . An education . And the ability to wake up each day and put both feet on the ground. Sometimes we take those small wins and smile just the same.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:38 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The OP did not claim that it was working well for everyone. They claimed that it was working well FOR THEM.

In all the doom and gloom we've been hearing in the news and on social media, it probably comes as a surprise to some people that there are some folks who are actually benefitting from the current situation. But yeah, it IS working out well for some folks. I don't think it detracts from the suffering of others to acknowledge that not everyone is in that same boat.

The OP's title is, this pandemic is a blessing for many working parents. How did you get that the OP wasn't just talking about herself from the title? She doesn't give us any examples of anyone else she knows that it's a "blessing" for either....again just herself. She even comes back into the thread and says, "that's the live to work problem with Americans. You should put your family first and foremost and make decisions prioritizing your family".

I'm a part of a couple of parents groups in my area and so I see that it is working for some (myself included) but I also read the struggles of those that it is not working for....

Old 05-13-2020, 12:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My kids were already going to online school and I was home, so things haven't changed much for us. My husband still has to go to work, and his job becomes more secure during economic downturns. I realize we're very lucky, and also that some people are really struggling. The parents of special needs kids seem to be among the hardest hit, because their kids are missing their usual routine and the services the schools provide.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:56 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
I wouldn't say it's a blessing.

Rather, I'd say that there are certain upsides - which exist alongside some very significant downsides.

Last edited by 2x3x29x41; 05-13-2020 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 04:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's live to work problem with Americans. You should put your family first and foremost and make decisions prioritizing your family. Losing a job in this pandemic is not your anyone's fault and you can get longer term unemployment benefits and get rent or mortgage assistance. Feeding a family now shouldn't be a big problem unless you don't have enough savings and have too much debt. If you lost your job, other than paying for food and basic utilities, the rent and mortgage payments can be stalled if you work it out with the lenders.

Those single moms with special needs kids, now is the perfect time to spend some time at home with your kid instead of relying on outside care which can be very expensive. I know moms that have to drop their kid off daily at child care and it isn't cheap at all around here. Now with work from home, you can make adjustments to ensure you can take care of your kids and do your work.

Single moms should benefit even more from working from home.

First off I am not talking about myself in regards to being unemployed. I am commenting on how insensitive your thread is, and you are totally clueless with the statement you made regarding special needs children(no I don't have a special needs child but I know people who do.

I can look at people in situations and have empathy.

You think everyone can work from home? Are you aware domestic abuse is way, way up.

Yes, family comes first but you might want to listen to the Glenn Frye of The Eagles song "I Got Mine" and see if it reminds you of anyone.

Quote:
Mortgage assistance in many cases is a forbearance and when it's over the past due amount has to be paid in full in some cases. If they couldn't pay now how will they pay what they owe in 3/4 months of not working?

What if those special needs kids need therapies that they can't get? Or what about the kids that have IEP/504 plans and not being able to be taught how they need to be? My son has an auditory disorder and being taught by a video isn't the best way for him.

I've been able to work from home through all of this which makes it a little easier for me, but I know that's not the case for all. I feel for the parents that are essential and have to make a choice between working, staying at home with their kids, or sending them to daycare/getting a babysitter.

Exactly, it's amazing how unaware so many can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Not quite. The thread said "this pandemic is a blessing for many parents", first off you don't say pandemic and blessing in the same sentence. They also said "many parents', so that isn't just FOR THEM.

Yes, it does detract from the suffering, when you say "many families", it also shows that there isn't a concern for others. OP could have reworded what she wrote, and the title of the thread...poor taste.

Quote:
The OP's title is, this pandemic is a blessing for many working parents. How did you get that the OP wasn't just talking about herself from the title? She doesn't give us any examples of anyone else she knows that it's a "blessing" for either....again just herself. She even comes back into the thread and says, "that's the live to work problem with Americans. You should put your family first and foremost and make decisions prioritizing your family".

I'm a part of a couple of parents groups in my area and so I see that it is working for some (myself included) but I also read the struggles of those that it is not working for....
Yes "all about me" she said that to try and deflect that made it all about herself. Didn't work.

Great that's working for her, but she has teenagers, and I will just add no one(and I'm wishing that on her or anyone) can think their job is secure do to working at home. Depending on how long this goes we will see more and more layoffs.

I guess I am still amazed how some just think of themselves and their situation. Thing is their situation could change.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
A person's opinion about this pandemic is very self focused. If you still have a job that you can work from home, if your kids are at an age where they are self-sufficient, then great for you. You are saving money on commuting, saving time that you can spend with your kids, and you most likely got a stimulus check to boot. Life is good.

But for many others this is a terrible time. Parents of children with special needs need their child to go to school to get the one-on-one instruction and frankly a break for the parents. To attempt to work from home full time and overlook instruction is challenging to downright impossible.

Then you have parents who lost their jobs. Many states' unemployment websites (like California) are overwhelmed so there are many who have received no money and have no way to pay their bills. Imagine losing your income, your benefits, only now you still have to supervise your children at home for school.

My husband got laid off (energy sector). My kids are self-sufficient teens.Fortunately we are in a good spot to weather this but I have to be honest when I read posts that are "rah rah love the time at home let's never go back" it gets old and frankly, frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting