Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:49 PM

161 posts, read 83,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
Teenagers who can do their schoolwork fairly independently and help with the upkeep of the house? Sure, not bad at all. Young children who either need constant care and supervision or significant help with their lessons? Not so much.
Then don't be a parent if you aren't willing to put in the effort. Simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I am happy to be able to see my kids more. Prior to this I’d see them in the morning and when I got home from work at 530. Now I see them from when we wake up until they go to bed. 24/7. I am still working. As hard as this is I do appreciate being able to
See them. Whenever things return to normal I’ll probably be sad to see them less.
So glad you understand the importance of taking the time to take care of your kids. Maybe you should consider being a stay at home parent?!? I am and I love it.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
But not having child care during the work day is why this has been so tough for working parents. The purpose of daycare is to provide a place for children to be supervised and cared for so their parents can focus work, then put a pin in at the end of the day and go home on end of the day and focus on parenting. That one element that makes working less stressful for parents with young children has been removed for an indefinite length of time, while the work responsibilities remain.
Simply put- daycare is evil. Be a parent and stay home and take care of your kid!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2020, 07:16 PM

524 posts, read 246,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgrl84 View Post
Simply put- daycare is evil. Be a parent and stay home and take care of your kid!!!!!!
Not that a perfect stranger is in the position to unsolicitedly tell me (or anyone else) what to do... but I was a stay-at home-parent when my kids were small. Now I’m a working parent (partially at home, partially outside of the home) of teenagers.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:28 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
No... daycare is necessary in many instances. And Im sure in many cases, IF a parent could financially afford to stay home and 'take care of their kids' they would.

Enough with all the judgement.... Soapbox was removed last year.

Everyone does the best they can with what they have available...... and NO ONE is purposefully trying to hurt their children.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:31 PM

957 posts, read 538,113 times
Quote:
Not that a perfect stranger is in the position to unsolicitedly tell me (or anyone else) what to do... but I was a stay-at home-parent when my kids were small. Now I’m a working parent (partially at home, partially outside of the home) of teenagers.
Good for you!! My Mom did the same thing... she was home whilst my siblings and I were little.. and then when we went to middle school she went back to Uni to get her degree.. and then when I was in high school, she went back to work in her chosen field None of us kids ever felt we were deprived or that it was detrimental to us... and she worked straight through until she turned 80 and she couldnt drive anymore.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:08 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
Quote:

Not every family can afford to have one parent stay home. Your flip answers to complex problems exposes your obliviousness to the reality others are living.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:42 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Your post certainly illustrates the difference here. You made a choice to stay home and then a choice to work. This pandemic has taken choice away and thrust so many families into chaos. Hardly a blessing.

But one mere example: My brother-in-law and his wife have been able to work from home so at least they haven’t lost income. However, they have 3 kids under the age of 10, who have lost their daily structure and routine of school, activities and social interaction. Dad works in a type of job where he has to be sequestered in a separate room all day and can’t help out with the kids. Mom is unraveling trying to get any work done, maintain any sense of order, and online learning isn’t really available or working for the age the kids are at. Grandparents live in the same town, but can’t help out.

It’s pretty hard to look for a bright spot when you feel like you’re drowning and every day is the same, with no chance to catch your breath, no downtime participating in your usual hobbies, activities and social interactions, before it all starts over again the next day. My heart goes out to any parent who is just trying to get through their day and who doesn’t need to be told this pandemic is a blessing they’re just not seeing.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 AM

524 posts, read 246,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Your post certainly illustrates the difference here. You made a choice to stay home and then a choice to work. This pandemic has taken choice away and thrust so many families into chaos. Hardly a blessing.

But one mere example: My brother-in-law and his wife have been able to work from home so at least they haven’t lost income. However, they have 3 kids under the age of 10, who have lost their daily structure and routine of school, activities and social interaction. Dad works in a type of job where he has to be sequestered in a separate room all day and can’t help out with the kids. Mom is unraveling trying to get any work done, maintain any sense of order, and online learning isn’t really available or working for the age the kids are at. Grandparents live in the same town, but can’t help out.

It’s pretty hard to look for a bright spot when you feel like you’re drowning and every day is the same, with no chance to catch your breath, no downtime participating in your usual hobbies, activities and social interactions, before it all starts over again the next day. My heart goes out to any parent who is just trying to get through their day and who doesn’t need to be told this pandemic is a blessing they’re just not seeing.
Exactly. The current situation was thrust on families, with little time to prepare. I’m fortunate that my kids are old enough to do a lot of their schoolwork independently and amuse themselves when they get bored... but I’m still getting maybe 2/3 of my own work done. I can’t imagine how much worse it would be if they were younger!

Old 05-16-2020, 01:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
I'm so glad you see it that way.. I am a proud stay at home mom and so I always see my kids. The oldest will start kindergarten next year and I will drive her. I have no intention on working for many years.

I get mad when I see parents annoyed by having to teach their kids. Be a parent! Be there for your kids. I am also very glad this pandemic happened.

You're glad about the people that died? You're glad 36 million Americans are out of work? You're glad domestic abuse is up? That crime is on the rise?

WOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting