U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 04:42 PM

450 posts, read 339,722 times

Advertisements

We had this problem for three years. One little girl, her older brothers and a trampoline. The boys voices were fine but she shrieked. High pitched, long terrible shrieks. Notes to the parents went unheeded. For hours, any afternoon it didn't rain.

One day I sat outside with another neighbor and we plotted a night time visit to the trampoline with a sharp knife. We fantasized about our all black outfits and our sneaky path to the back yard. Had a good laugh.

And then it stopped. They removed the trampoline. Gone. I thought my neighbor had gone on with our fantasy plot without me. Nope, she denied it.

Took us six months to find out that a new neighbor had called the police about the little girl who was being ABUSED or MURDERED. Not once but several times.

hahahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:49 PM

1,959 posts, read 567,322 times
She might outgrow it but it could take years. I’m surprised by how many people seem to think the OP should let it go. The parents seem dense to not be telling their kid to keep it down.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 PM

80 posts, read 20,222 times
I like the calling the police idea above. Maybe child protective services too

Old 05-13-2020, 08:29 PM

1,959 posts, read 567,322 times
Haha. Sure at this point why not. Some kids are just annoying I’m sorry to say.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 AM

143 posts, read 46,955 times
I lived next to an apartment complex pool. Although the children's "shrieks" were loud and constant in the summertime, they did give me a sense of what was going on in the neighborhood.

I knew instantly that when it became deathly quiet -- something was out of the ordinary; time to stick my head out on the balcony and see what's going on.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:20 AM

4,386 posts, read 3,864,686 times
I would just ignore it. Summer will end, the pool will be covered, and the girl will grow and mature.

In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty trivial. Not worth angering the neighbors over. If the kids are throwing rocks at your window or spraying water at your dog, that kind of thing, then you let the parents know it's NOT okay.

But for noise? Let it go, put up with it. Kids are kids.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:39 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,553,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I would just ignore it. Summer will end, the pool will be covered, and the girl will grow and mature.

In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty trivial. Not worth angering the neighbors over. If the kids are throwing rocks at your window or spraying water at your dog, that kind of thing, then you let the parents know it's NOT okay.

But for noise? Let it go, put up with it. Kids are kids.

Um...no. I have kids and I still say no. They can not scream bloody murder. When you scream bloody murder it's because you are in trouble and need help. Not because you are swimming in a pool or jumping on a trampoline. I jump on our trampoline and do flips and don't scream and I swim in our neighborhood pool without screaming. It can be done.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:44 AM

4,386 posts, read 3,864,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Um...no. I have kids and I still say no. They can not scream bloody murder. When you scream bloody murder it's because you are in trouble and need help. Not because you are swimming in a pool or jumping on a trampoline. I jump on our trampoline and do flips and don't scream and I swim in our neighborhood pool without screaming. It can be done.
Are you 6 years old?

Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM

3,650 posts, read 3,553,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Are you 6 years old?
Nope, but I wouldn't let my 6-year-old do it either. As I said, you scream bloody murder you better be hurt or in trouble.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:17 AM

1,600 posts, read 937,480 times
Everyone here has an opinion so I'll give mine. In regards to the original post, I would like to figure out is the child truly so loud it makes the OP's "ears ring" or such that grown adults cannot have a conversation? Is it truly that loud or just an annoyance? Were any of the adults hard of hearing? That makes a big difference between explaining a situation and inserting some embellishment. Certainly it's your right to be upset but, for me anyway, I'm just trying to envision the real scenario.

My personal opinion is a.) it's summer and b.) the kid will grow up and outgrow the behavior. If it were me, it is what it is and I'd let it fly knowing that it's not all day, every day and that the length of time should be finite. I'd also experiment with some sort of privacy shrubbery/foliage that could serve as a blocker between my patio and the neighbor's yard.

Again that's just me but I wish you luck with whatever you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or