Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:22 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I know "kids", in their 30s to 60s, that share a plan with their parents, in their 70s to 80s. But often the kids are paying for their parents.
I'm 39 and still on my parents plan. Those old plans are just much better deals than what is currently offered. Like you said though, kids are usually footing the bill at this point.

Anyway, im with some of the other posters here in saying 18. A phone is one of the first real bills a person gets growing up, so they should be able to at least pay that.

I was kind of a go-getter growing up. Went to college full time and held a part time job down while paying for my car/insurance/phone and other expenses. As a result, I somewhat have the same sort of mentality in mind for my 3 boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 12:46 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm 39 and still on my parents plan. Those old plans are just much better deals than what is currently offered. Like you said though, kids are usually footing the bill at this point.
My sons are still on my plan, 30, 32, 34. My oldest once said he was going to get a new phone number and be on his own. Guess he found out it was going to be pretty pricey. He never mentioned that again

Old 05-18-2020, 12:48 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Kids, cell phone: as long as they are in school.

Although, I am on my son's cell phone plan. It costs him an extra $10 a month. I don't pay him back, but I pick up other bills. He put me on his plan and bought me a cell phone because I couldn't think of any good reason to have one, so I wouldn't get one for myself.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:14 PM

78 posts, read 39,214 times
I think you should definitely pay the 17 year old's service because he's still a child and cell phones are important for minors for safety reasons. After he becomes a legal adult, and as for your other children, I personally think it should be when they can really afford it. The reason why I think you should stop at any age that they can afford it themselves is because cell phones are important for everyone's safety, especially if they are lost driving or in a bad situation and need to call for help. Parents need to still keep their children safe even after they are legal adults.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM

7 posts, read 6,560 times
If my boyfriend wants to pay their phone bill that’s fine, as long as it’s not me. There’s been times that he has no service for up to three days because he couldn’t pay. That’s how bad it is. So SOMEONE needs to step in and help him if he’s struggling to pay. He has 3 big boys who are old enough to help their dad. I asked at what age young adults pay because it seems like my boyfriend feels guilty of asking his sons to help. These boys get everything from their dad. I think the reason why my boyfriend never saves money is because he always gives his sons money instead of making them work for it. But at some point they have to face the real world. If their father is gone for some reason they will have no phone at all.

I was very self sufficient back in high school. I had a part time job and when I was 17 I bought my first phone. I worked for it and never asked my parents to pay my bill because I had a job. But maybe other people are raised differently.

I just want my boyfriend to stop having me as a backup plan when he can’t pay the bill. How can I do this? He gets defensive with his sons so it’s not easy to explain him that I shouldn’t be responsible.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:30 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
LOL, when I was in college there were no cell phones. I lived off campus on limited budget so went through college with NO PHONE. Used pay phone when I needed to call somebody. Didnt kill me. You dont know what you can get along without until you try. Course anymore you can get a minimalist $60 a year plan if you just need an emergency phone. Saw one reseller on ebay offering unlimited voice and text but no data for that $60 a year. Never heard of the name before so no idea if it was legit. Usually those super low buck plans have limit of like 100 minutes voice calls per month.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
LOL, when I was in college there were no cell phones. I lived off campus on limited budget so went through college with NO PHONE. Used pay phone when I needed to call somebody. Didnt kill me. You dont know what you can get along without until you try. Course anymore you can get a minimalist $60 a year plan if you just need an emergency phone. Saw one reseller on ebay offering unlimited voice and text but no data for that $60 a year. Never heard of the name before so no idea if it was legit. Usually those super low buck plans have limit of like 100 minutes voice calls per month.
I was the 24/7 caregiver for my late husband, but he still wanted a phone. He had a flip phone with a plan that was $10 for three months with a maximum of something like 20 minutes a month. It was legit and worked for him.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer741 View Post
Hi
I’m in a relationship with a man who has three adult sons ages 17, 19 and 22.
My boyfriend has a cellphone plan where his sons are included and he pays every month for it. The problem is that there’s been times when he can’t pay it because his job doesn’t pay on time and he doesn’t have savings either because he doesn’t have control over his finances. So the first thing he does is ask me to pay for the monthly plan and that he’ll pay me back.
This makes me uncomfortable because even though he pays me back, I think he should be telling his sons to help him, as they are the ones that use the cellphone service and they’re old enough. Why do I have to pay for something that is not my responsibility? I’m not included in the plan. Only my boyfriend and his 3 sons.
It’s like he doesn’t want to bother his sons and wants to look good in front of them, but he doesn’t mind asking me to pay. He has done it several times.
The 22 year old son got his first phone at the age of 13 and my boyfriend has always pay for him. Isn’t it time for him to be a man and grow up??? I don’t know for how long my boyfriend is planning on supporting his sons but he keeps complaining that he’s broke and it’s because he doesn’t make his sons responsible for anything.
The 22 year old also spends his days sleeping and playing video games while my boyfriend works every day. I work too. But my boyfriend seems to be okay with his son not doing anything productive with his life. He has been unemployed for almost 8 months. Why does he feel bad asking his sons to help financially and to work like productive members of society? The young men don’t even pay for college because my boyfriend fully supports all 3 of them. Is this normal parenting? Should I be okay helping my boyfriend pay for the cellphone service?

This is a conversation to have with your boyfriend.

Are you and the boyfriend living together? If not, it's not your problem, and guaranteed, he's not going to want to hear your comments.

If you ARE living together, you have yourself in a pickle because he's STILL not going to want to hear your comments, but maybe if you kindly and gently suggest that the boys should contribute to the cell plan, MAYBE he'll listen.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:21 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is a conversation to have with your boyfriend.

Are you and the boyfriend living together? If not, it's not your problem, and guaranteed, he's not going to want to hear your comments.

If you ARE living together, you have yourself in a pickle because he's STILL not going to want to hear your comments, but maybe if you kindly and gently suggest that the boys should contribute to the cell plan, MAYBE he'll listen.
Or ask him what sort of a guilt trip he's on that he feels the need to bail out the lazy loafers he's raised.

BF has issues, if he doesn't correct his thinking these will become your issues.

You could just lay down the law. "I'm not paying for your lazy kids' phones. You figure it out."

Old 05-18-2020, 02:29 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I am old school. I have problem with entitlement. When my son, younger one, reached legal age to work, I literally kicked him to start working. We later paid for his private university but any extras, outside of school related, he had to buy on his own. I gave him first car to commute to college, but upgrade to it he had to cover after we sold that one.
He works and makes more money than I do and pays for his lodging, as we have 2 houses on property. I settled for very "family" price, $500 a month for 2 bedroom with 2 garages on beautiful 6 acre property. But, he pays or else.
As I said, I am old school. His older brother wanted to go to work on his own and started when he was 14. Mid range manager at Microsoft now.
Pardon me, I do not get this "parents owe their children" thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting