U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 12:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,565,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was brought up to do chores. We set the table and cleared it. I had several siblings and we rotated on what days we loaded the dishwasher. My mother cooked.

On Saturdays, we cleaned our rooms. We all knew how to do the laundry. When I went away to college, I was totally shocked by how many friends had never done this. We had a housekeeper, a few times a week, but someone vacuumed every day, and it was not my mom.

We knew how to clean a bathroom, dust, and generally straighten up a room.

My kids were raised the same way.

What are your opinions? In no way do I think that this is child abuse. I think these are life skils a and part of being a family.
We were three children in the 1970s, traditionally raised.

We were expected to keep the upstairs bedrooms and shared bathroom clean. Not immaculate but tidy.

Additionally, we had main floor weekly cleaning duties and lawnmower plus garden chores.

Cooking was taught to us individually, later. The high school in those days did offer cooking classes (home-ec).

None of this was unusual among children in the neighborhood, nor did it consume more than a few hours per week.

During this Corona virus I have realized how few families do their own lawns anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 06:13 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,728,726 times
Not in our house.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,506,448 times
I own a residential cleaning service, and my employees are usually told to skip cleaning their kids/teens rooms, because their parents make them clean those, so parents are still teaching responsibility.
I had a more "normal" childhood.
We did our major house cleaning on Saturdays, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning windows...etc.
Every night we set the table, and then cleared it after eating, washed and dried the dishes by hand, and put them away. We had a dishwasher, but rarely used it.
We also helped cut and stack wood in the fall, and helped plant, and tend crops in the spring.
We didn't have a housekeeper.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:41 AM

15,346 posts, read 20,703,966 times
Thankfully, my wife is a homemaker and has done an amazing job raising our kids

Yes, it has gone out of fashion
I think because both parents work and the kids are not going to make themselves do chores

Old 05-24-2020, 08:27 AM

8,192 posts, read 9,898,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I own a residential cleaning service, and my employees are usually told to skip cleaning their kids/teens rooms, because their parents make them clean those, so parents are still teaching responsibility.
We did our major house cleaning on Saturdays, dusting, vacuuming, cleaning windows...etc.
Every night we set the table, and then cleared it after eating, washed and dried the dishes by hand, and put them away. We had a dishwasher, but rarely used it.
We also helped cut and stack wood in the fall, and helped plant, and tend crops in the spring.
Why didn't you use your dishwasher? I've never understood that. That's like washing clothes by hand when you have a washer.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:31 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,506,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why didn't you use your dishwasher? I've never understood that. That's like washing clothes by hand when you have a washer.
My stepmother thought it was too expensive to use (I grew up in the 70's, so it probably wasn't energy efficient like they are now ), and she had 2 kids to do the work. lol.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:59 AM

1,380 posts, read 676,844 times
Not at all. I don't know anyone who doesn't have jobs for their children to do. I mean, it may be different. Setting the table is kind of out of fashion now I think. Unfortunately, big family dinners are almost impossible in most busy households most nights. My kids have to help out though. Clean up after themselves, take out the trash, get the mail, feed the dogs, at a certain age I have them start doing their own laundry. I'm not a stickler on certain things...like making the bed. My teen just climbs right back in with his laptop to do his homework. Making it is a waste of time. Changing the sheets is his job though...I just have to remind him when it's time. My teen cooks for himself when his schedule (multi sport athlete) keeps him from eating with the rest of us. And I'm pretty relaxed and have a weekly cleaning service compared to many. They still have to do their part. I'm not about to send my boys out in the world unable to take care of themselves. My inlaws never required my husband and his brother to do anything and it shows. They taught themselves a few things, but I hired the housekeepers very early in our marriage rather than continue to stress about it.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM

4,656 posts, read 4,108,932 times
Quote:

Same here...

We had daily responsibilities, setting\clearing the table, washing/drying dishes, pots and or pans and putting them away, wiping and cleaning the stove and counter tops and sweeping the kitchen floor and taking the garbage out.

We did our major house cleaning on Saturdays; stripping the beds down, changing sheets, washing the clothes, hanging them outside with the bamboo poles, (wringer washer/no dryer at that time) ironing clothes, dusting, vacuuming and defrosting the refrigerator when the time came...what a pain that was.

"out of fashion"?

With all due respect and in my very humble opinion...sounds more like fear of alienating our children and of teaching them responsibility.

Having said that and for what it's worth, I do not have children or grandchildren in this day and time so I am certainly not an expert for this place in time. Life changes and I suppose we certainly change with it.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:58 PM

8,192 posts, read 9,898,623 times
Quote:
My stepmother thought it was too expensive to use (I grew up in the 70's, so it probably wasn't energy efficient like they are now ), and she had 2 kids to do the work. lol.
I suppose that makes sense. That's funny.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:19 PM

9,077 posts, read 4,658,825 times
I had only boys, and they helped with both indoor and outside chores. We had 2 acres which included a family fruit & nut tree orchard, plus a large vegetable garden, so there was a lot of garden chores. I taught them early to pick up after themselves and put toys away, hang up damp towels after showering, etc. They did their own laundry including bed linens from age 12 or so. They also unloaded the car and put everything away after I did the weekly shopping. As young parents now, they do the same basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or