U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 07:49 PM

4,616 posts, read 2,136,198 times

Advertisements

My family was very meticulous about cleaning. It was practically a daily task in my home, along with biweekly cleanings that involved turning the whole house upside down. I hated it! Today, I clean mostly when company is supposed to come over (well, before the 'Rona quarantine, at least). Otherwise, I clean on an "as needed" basis.

Cooking, on the other hand, wasn't highly emphasized; it was simply treated as a normal thing families do. I ended up getting into it at a pretty early age. I think I made my first real dish when I was 8, and knew how to make a complete dinner---main, side, and dessert---by high school. Today, I cook the bulk of my meals at home, and go to restaurants only as a social thing with friends (again, before the 'Rona), rather than for sustenance.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-24-2020 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 02:23 PM

250 posts, read 91,807 times
Having chores in a family is an important part of learning to contribute to society and working to earn money. Our 14-year-old twins do their own laundry, put the dishes away, help set and clear the table, take out trash, help with lawn work, and whatever else we need them to do, but I'll also say this is part of earning a weekly allowance of $10 each.

They're not perfect with their work, but that's not the point, and we let them make mistakes AND show them better ways (sometimes).

I think they should also volunteer. My daughter goes with me to the animal shelter, and my son helps me with post cards to voters.

Do they love it? NO, but good parenting is not easy.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:38 AM

1,083 posts, read 379,293 times
Having a disagreement with my ex about this now.

Everyday when i came home from school i cleaned the kitchen, straightened the house and vacuumed the floors. After dinner I cleaned the table off and cleaned the kitchen. Every single day. On the weekends I cleaned my room, my bathroom and my laundry.

I clean my house. My kids are responsible for picking up their rooms and making sure their laundry is in the hamper. When my 5 year old gets older he will do his own laundry. But for now he picks up toys and puts his dishes in the sink.

My ex has residential custody of our son. Our son (i just found out) cleans every day, does his father's laundry as well as his own. Is in charge of cleaning up after everyone after dinner and loading the dishwasher. Cleaning the living room. His stepsister cooks and cleans after dinner in the kitchen and cleans the bathroom and does her mothers laundry.

Im like.. what are the parents doing except sitting on your a**es? He told me thats their job as children and i dont agree.

Chores yes.
Maids, butlers, cooks? no

Old 06-09-2020, 10:30 AM

11,244 posts, read 12,186,924 times
My 7 year old boys do chores. My 2 year old son tries to do them as well. They aren't anything really complex. Helping to clean the house, started to help do the trash (I'll take it out, they bring in the barrels), help clear the table, etc etc. They aren't perfect, but they are doing it. As they get older, they will get more responsibility.

My boys have always seen me actively maintaining the household and doing things like laundry, dishes, trash, etc. I can't cook, but thankfully my wife has that covered.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:48 AM

9,718 posts, read 3,667,880 times
My mom and dad had 5 kids. My mom always used to say that it was pretty much a necessity to teach us to do chores, because otherwise...nothing would get done on a regular basis, because she couldn't do it all.

We took turns doing the dishes, setting the table, vacuuming and dusting, and we were expected to keep our rooms clean.

The boys were taught to mow the lawn, and it was their job to take the trash out.

I think I told the story here somewhere, about the time my brother kept 'forgetting' to take the trash out. My mom got tired of it, and dumped the trash in his bed. She didn't say a word about it to him. But he didn't forget after that.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:19 AM

11,166 posts, read 6,287,809 times
I believe chores are an essential part of grooming an independent adult that takes on responsibility for themselves and others.

I have three children; 13 and twins at 7. In addition to chores, I want to instill in him that he sets an example for his younger brothers.

The challenge here isn't so much doing chores but teaching common sense and the idea that it isn't just getting through your responsibilities but taking ownership of them.... when the job isn't done well, take the initiative to correct it.

I was not only raised this way but I was also a latch key kid... responsible for myself and chores in the house in the absence of parents whom worked very late into the day. I cooked, cleaned, did chores, and did my homework on my own until parents arrived home from work. I left home to make a life for myself just out of high school and have been very independent since... My brother on the other hand didn't have to experience this; grew up in a household with aunts/uncles that did everything and by the time they left, my parents were retired at home doing everything for him. My brother is now 30s and has never ever held a job..... can't support himself nor take care of himself.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:39 PM

935 posts, read 772,211 times
My kids didn't have much to do when school was in session, as they also had a lot of extra-curricular activities. They switched off on doing dishes and were supposed to fold and put away their own laundry, keep their room clean, and do small things here and there as requested.

Right now they're doing a whole lotta nothing since school is almost done and none of their extras are open. So I'm adding chores. They are pushing back, as I suppose could be expected as they're not really accustomed to doing much. But really, it makes sense for them to step up. Why should my husband and I work and do household chores, and they do practically nothing?

Old 06-09-2020, 01:48 PM

6,933 posts, read 3,133,991 times
Hell, no.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 PM

1,530 posts, read 665,382 times
There were three of us kids in our family. Our clothesline was a triple also. Coincidence?

There was no dishwasher but we ate three meals a day and each of us had to wash dishes for our assigned meal. Coincidence?

Kind of glad we didn’t have three bathrooms. I’m certain I know how that would have turned out.

More than that, I’m glad I began working at 13. That was the only thing that got me out of a few chores. On the other hand, my little allowance stopped also. Coincidence?

Chores are part of teaching kids responsibility and even teaching them the value of money if they’re rewarded for chores.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:34 AM

1,114 posts, read 839,413 times
Are chores out of fashion?

Not in this house. They have all had chores since age 5. Gaining more responsibility with each year. Remember we teach them to cut their food, tie their shoes, brush their teeth. Why wouldn't we teach them how to work? Same goes for saving and investing allowances. Pay yourself first. 10% for saving/investing, 10% for giving away, and the rest is to get you through the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or