Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 10:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times

Advertisements

With outdoor transmission seeming to not be a vector for Covid-19, have any states or counties opened their playgrounds? Or is there anywhere they never closed?

It seems ridiculous for indoor shopping, nail salons, and gyms to be open while playgrounds remain closed. We've seen that adults are hardly better at social distancing than children, and kids don't stand around having idle 45 minute virus-spreading conversations as adults are wont to do.

In case you hadn't guessed, our playgrounds are still closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:17 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
No, ours remain closed in NC until phase 3 (end of June), but our public pools can open today at 5pm.

It's because they don't have any to sanitize the playground equipment.

ETA: though there is an outside ropes course that was allowed to open. It's up in the trees about an hour away from us. I took the kids last Sunday and it was a nice getaway and great physical exercise for them.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:14 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Ours are still closed too. I agree, it’s frustrating considering we know outside exposure risk is very low, UV light is said to the kill the virus on surfaces and surface exposure is said to not even be a significant risk. Golf course are open though.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:26 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Honestly, I see more at-risk people (over 65) chatting unmasked with each other on walks in my neighborhood than I have EVER seen random kids playing together on the playground.

My 6-year-old kids wear masks and hit the hand sanitizer immediately when I tell them to. Some florid-faced ranting a-holes in the supermarket could learn a thing or two about responsibility from them.

I guess playgrounds aren't essential to "the economy" so we can expect the indefinite closure to persist.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:50 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Honestly, I see more at-risk people (over 65) chatting unmasked with each other on walks in my neighborhood than I have EVER seen random kids playing together on the playground.

My 6-year-old kids wear masks and hit the hand sanitizer immediately when I tell them to. Some florid-faced ranting a-holes in the supermarket could learn a thing or two about responsibility from them.

I guess playgrounds aren't essential to "the economy" so we can expect the indefinite closure to persist.

What's funny is that our tennis courts and basketball courts are also open. Our neighborhood playgrounds get a lot of use but since they've been closed bikes are the big thing.

We take nighlty walks with the dog and we don't wear masks and neither does anyone else we happen to see. If I happen to go to the grocery, I wear a mask. My kids haven't been in a store in over two months. We might go to one this weekend as our state has gone into phase 2.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:44 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
What's funny is that our tennis courts and basketball courts are also open. Our neighborhood playgrounds get a lot of use but since they've been closed bikes are the big thing.

We take nighlty walks with the dog and we don't wear masks and neither does anyone else we happen to see. If I happen to go to the grocery, I wear a mask. My kids haven't been in a store in over two months. We might go to one this weekend as our state has gone into phase 2.
We don't wear masks outdoors. Now if we were going to the zoo, the Old Market, any other crowded outdoor place, we would wear one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting