Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Plenty of people who are not drug addicts can't get jobs right now. Unemployment is over 20%. That's an unfair requirement at this time.

Getting drug rehab is one that is fair.
Screw that. I would simply change the locks and call the cops. Drug using....you wouldn’t even get to step on my driveway I would be calling the cops. Family or not. Gtfo and don’t come back.

Personally I would call the cops when he’s “scary high” have him taken away and start a case. Then I would change the locks. He’s not a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Plenty of people who are not drug addicts can't get jobs right now. Unemployment is over 20%. That's an unfair requirement at this time.

Getting drug rehab is one that is fair.
This is untrue. Essential workers are in need. He can work in a grocery store, or any essential work environment.

Drug rehabs are expensive and have very low long term success rates. They are basically vacations for all parties involved.

AA and NA are free and lots of people have gotten sober using them. He has to want it, though, and she said he's still getting high, so he might not be ready.

OP: Research NOLO Evictions in your state and evictions in general, and then get the forms, and serve notice. It's not very complicated. Anyone can do it.

The trick is obviously that he has to cooperate, but read up and see if you can have the sheriff there at some point if he won't leave.

I don't know if he's violent or how he might react and if you have fear around that.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:40 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
I would call AAWS and have a chat with them, they can help.
At the front of the phone book or google AAWS.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM

291 posts, read 377,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadmom27 View Post
I am trying to figure out how to get my 27 year old drug addicted son to move out. He started staying here in February supposedly to get on his feet. There were a couple rules which he didnt follow: No drugs, get a job, get counseling or some sort of treatment, and start saving for his own place. 4 months later and he has gotten high, lost a part time job, has not gotten counseling. He refuses to leave even though I gave him his stimulus check. How can I legally get him out? I live in Ohio. He has gotten scary high several times. I am done. I cannot afford a lawyer.
So sorry you're in this spot Momma! Addiction is so hard on the addict & the family. I can totally understand you letting him back in to get on his feet, but you're absolutely right to not enable him anymore. There usually have to be consequences for addicts to change.

Rehab IS crazy expensive, sadly that keeps many from getting help. If someone is READY to get sober AA, NA have proved more effective with long term sobriety than expensive rehabs have at least in my personal experience and those I know in recovery.

As far as legally getting him out, the only thing I can think of is conatacting the non emergency police line for advice. I know how hard this is but if you try & get him out he can entangle you emotionally. He's less likely to try to make an emotional appeal to an outside party.

HUGS!

Old 05-26-2020, 12:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
This is untrue. Essential workers are in need. He can work in a grocery store, or any essential work environment.
20% unemployment means this isn't true. Most of those "essential" jobs pay diddly squat. A parent that places a condition of having a job on an adult child is out of touch with the real world. The government has waived searching for a job right now as a condition of collecting unemployment payments because they know that there aren't jobs out there right now. If the government acknowledges the job market is FUBAR, a parent should.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:22 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
You can evict him, but it will take time, especially with the courts now being closed. You can get him out faster by PAYING him to leave. You get him to sign a paper saying that he gives up all rights of tenancy in your house, and has removed all his possessions and gives up any claim to anything he has left behind, you get a locksmith ready to change the locks, and you pay him to leave taking ALL his stuff (so that he cannot claim he needs to get back in to get his stuff), handing him the check after he is out, with the locksmith changing all the locks immediately after he is out. A standard amount might be the equivalent of a month's rent on a room in a rooming house in your area, but addicts will settle for surprisingly small amounts of cash - I've known addicts who got themselves sterilized for as little as $200 payment from the parents or a charity. Really, they'll do anything for the price of the next fix. You warn him that you will call the cops if he sets foot on the property. You make sure all the windows are locked/barred, etc. You install an alarm system or get a dog that barks if anyone comes near. You call the cops if he approaches, because you can be pretty sure that eventually he will try to break back in. You never, ever let him come to the house again, no matter what. You want to see each other? You meet at a restaurant, or for a picnic in the park.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
There is this service called the police. Give them a call. They can be reached at 911 or a local number.
That won't work (I'm retired after 41 years in law enforcement). This is a civil matter. Her son has established residency in her home. He has "rights." Each state is different and I am not familiar with hers.

If he won't go voluntarily he must be evicted, using the appropriate court process.

Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it is accurate advice.

Rich

The Eviction Process in Ohio: Rules for Landlords and Property Managers (congratulations. you are a landlord)
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-managers.html

It is never okay for a landlord to force a tenant to move out of the rental unit. If the tenant does not move out after receiving written notice to move, then the landlord must file an eviction lawsuit with the court. Even if the landlord is successful and wins the lawsuit, only a sheriff or constable is authorized to actually evict the tenant. Illegal Eviction Procedures in Ohio has more information on this topic.

The landlord may find personal property left in the rental unit or on the premises after the tenant moves out of the rental unit. Most states have laws about how the landlord should handle abandoned personal property; however, Ohio does not. This does not mean that the landlord can just dispose of the property, though. The landlord should still take reasonable steps to inform the tenant of the property and give the tenant a reasonable amount of time to claim the property. If the tenant does not claim the property, then the landlord can dispose of it. Handling a Tenant’s Abandoned Property in Ohio has more information on this topic.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Go to the self help section in your courthouse, and get eviction papers to file.
You don't need an attorney.
No one is doing evictions at the time.

To the OP, change the locks, call the cops.

If he is high on your front porch, they will arrest him for being high in public.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:06 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'll compose a thoughtful answer if the poster returns to this thread.
Highly doubt she comes back

Old 05-27-2020, 12:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
20% unemployment means this isn't true. Most of those "essential" jobs pay diddly squat. A parent that places a condition of having a job on an adult child is out of touch with the real world. The government has waived searching for a job right now as a condition of collecting unemployment payments because they know that there aren't jobs out there right now. If the government acknowledges the job market is FUBAR, a parent should.
Maybe it depends on where you live. My daughter and her boyfriend both got jobs (entry level office stuff) about 2 weeks after college graduation (Texas)

There is work to be done. Many don't want to do it because unemployment pays so well nowadays. He should take advantage now because it will stop at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting