U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Interesting perspective. I don't understand what's wrong with using diapers on someone who is incontinent, regardless of age. She would rather wear a diaper and have the urine contained, than get pee all over her legs, belly, pajamas, and sheets every night, and wake up in that mess.

There is no shame necessary in wearing a diaper. Many incontinent adults wear Depends.

But, to each their own.
I tend to agree with this. If the kid is not upset with wearing a diaper why should be put that shame on them. Diapers are made for the purpose of containing wetness. If you need that you need a diaper. I understand pull ups do the same thing and can be pull ped up and down by the wearer but if the wearer is asleep they won’t be pulling them up and down anyway and I read a lot of reviews that they leak a lot. So why bother. I was reading some older posts of parents of bedwetters. Reading some older posts on here from folks who like you English Ivy, there kids would rather be put in a diaper and wake up dry that a pull up they can do there self and wake up covered in pee. Some of these kids are much older almost teen age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:37 AM

2,193 posts, read 1,089,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicamom3 View Post
My 5 year old son still struggles with staying dry at night. Everything I’ve read and talking to our pediatrician says this is very common. I still put him in a diaper at night. The issue I have is my mom is so upset he is still in a diaper. She thinks he is just being lazy and that he should have to clean up his wet sheets and loose privileges as a punishment. She keeps nagging at me about it. Please tell me I’m not alone in this. Are there any other parents who’s kids still have trouble staying dry at night , what age did you stop diapering them and just let them wet there bedding?
No, you are not alone. Lots of children have bed wetting issues due to either a weak bladder or just too deep a sleep. They eventually grow out of it but sometimes not until puberty. He is not being lazy or anything else. So long as he is not wetting during the day and the doctor believes there is no medical issue let it go.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:38 PM

131 posts, read 157,092 times
Quote:
Also yesterday at the store I picked up a small pack of the cheap pull ups and put one on him last night. Unfortunately this morning his bed was wet and go figure even with his bed being wet he never woke up till this morning. Washed his bedding and gave him a bath this morning. Might try the pull ups again tonight but if they continue to leak it’s just a waste of money. I might look into a babysitter so I don’t have to have my mom watch them as she is being very upset about the situation. I don’t have a ton of money to spend on a babysitter though. What’s the going rate to pay a babysitter?

It sounds like you are already of the mindset that sticking your 5 y.o. son in his kid brother's diapers is the best solution and the only thing preventing you from considering alternatives is your mother. Did you try any of the other suggestions last night such as limiting his fluids after 8 pm and waking him up between midnight and 1 am to go to the bathroom? Did you put down some pads in his bedding? How many times did you check on him to see if he was still dry?

He's had over 5 years of being use to nocturnal urination being wicked away by the diaper while he stays dry and sleeps through it. It is going to take more than 1 night to overcome that. Pull ups aren't going to hold as much as diapers, they are meant to be training tools to transition to regular underwear. I'd recommend giving them a few more tries. Limit the fluids, wake him up to go. Also check on him to see how long he stays dry & set an alarm clock for around 6 am to be his potty reminder. See if he's able to wake up and go. Have him put on a fresh pull up if he needs it and let you know if the bedding is wet.

Once again, I don't agree with your mother, but it seems like you are setting this up as the only two choices are sleep in a diaper and stay dry, don't wear diaper and force the kid to sleep all night in wet clothes and bedding. Start figuring out how long he can hold it at night first and make adjustments from there. If you weren't checking on him, it could be possible he stayed dry til close to his natural waking time and then wet the bed given how wet he was. If he's 5, he should be starting kindergarten in a few months so I really recommend spending 4 or 5 nights working on the nighttime training and get a better feel for what is behind the bed wetting before throwing in the towel and going back to diapers.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
It sounds like you are already of the mindset that sticking your 5 y.o. son in his kid brother's diapers is the best solution and the only thing preventing you from considering alternatives is your mother. Did you try any of the other suggestions last night such as limiting his fluids after 8 pm and waking him up between midnight and 1 am to go to the bathroom? Did you put down some pads in his bedding? How many times did you check on him to see if he was still dry?

He's had over 5 years of being use to nocturnal urination being wicked away by the diaper while he stays dry and sleeps through it. It is going to take more than 1 night to overcome that. Pull ups aren't going to hold as much as diapers, they are meant to be training tools to transition to regular underwear. I'd recommend giving them a few more tries. Limit the fluids, wake him up to go. Also check on him to see how long he stays dry & set an alarm clock for around 6 am to be his potty reminder. See if he's able to wake up and go. Have him put on a fresh pull up if he needs it and let you know if the bedding is wet.

Once again, I don't agree with your mother, but it seems like you are setting this up as the only two choices are sleep in a diaper and stay dry, don't wear diaper and force the kid to sleep all night in wet clothes and bedding. Start figuring out how long he can hold it at night first and make adjustments from there. If you weren't checking on him, it could be possible he stayed dry til close to his natural waking time and then wet the bed given how wet he was. If he's 5, he should be starting kindergarten in a few months so I really recommend spending 4 or 5 nights working on the nighttime training and get a better feel for what is behind the bed wetting before throwing in the towel and going back to diapers.

Yes we have been limiting his fluid after dinner, he just gets small sips of water after dinner. Also double voids before bed, but no I haven’t woken him up during the night. I did check on him early yesterday morning and this morning, around 6am and he was wet, pull up leaked, but he was still asleep. He slept till 7:30. I’m going to keep working on it as I might as well use up this pack of pull ups. Maybe I will try waking him up when I got to bed tonight for him to pee and see if that makes a difference.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 AM

369 posts, read 178,539 times
Quote:
Yes we have been limiting his fluid after dinner, he just gets small sips of water after dinner. Also double voids before bed, but no I haven’t woken him up during the night. I did check on him early yesterday morning and this morning, around 6am and he was wet, pull up leaked, but he was still asleep. He slept till 7:30. I’m going to keep working on it as I might as well use up this pack of pull ups. Maybe I will try waking him up when I got to bed tonight for him to pee and see if that makes a difference.
Our daughter was easy and potty trained just before 2. Our son on the other hand, was around 3.5 year before potting trained and had episodes of wetting during the night time. To help this, we would wake him up before we went to bed (after 2-3 hours after he fell asleep). This seemed to help him make it through the night. Good luck and things will work out in the end.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:52 PM

I took him to the bathroom at 11 last night when I went to bed, he didn’t really wake up, but he did pee. I checked on him at 6 this morning and he was wet. He slept till almost 7:30. I’m going to try setting an alarm for myself so I can take him at 2am and see if he is wet yet. Oh and pull ups leaked again. I read someone suggested adding a diaper booster pad to the pull up.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:42 PM

46 posts, read 10,001 times
Quote:
My 5 year old son still struggles with staying dry at night. Everything I’ve read and talking to our pediatrician says this is very common. I still put him in a diaper at night. The issue I have is my mom is so upset he is still in a diaper. She thinks he is just being lazy and that he should have to clean up his wet sheets and loose privileges as a punishment. She keeps nagging at me about it. Please tell me I’m not alone in this. Are there any other parents who’s kids still have trouble staying dry at night , what age did you stop diapering them and just let them wet there bedding?
My youngest child had trouble staying dry at night until he was about 7-7.5. Early on, we followed all of the pediatrician's suggestions (limiting liquids at the end of the day, waking him up to go, casually having him assist with the cleanup), but it just stressed him out and made him more embarrassed. So, we stopped making a big deal about it. He wore his "night time underwear" (cloth trainers with a waterproof layer) under his pajamas until he simply no longer needed them; one day he mentioned that he had been staying dry for a couple of weeks in a row, so we ditched the "night time underwear" and put down waterproof mattress pad instead, which he ended up never needing.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I took him to the bathroom at 11 last night when I went to bed, he didn’t really wake up, but he did pee. I checked on him at 6 this morning and he was wet. He slept till almost 7:30. I’m going to try setting an alarm for myself so I can take him at 2am and see if he is wet yet. Oh and pull ups leaked again. I read someone suggested adding a diaper booster pad to the pull up.

Definitely keep at it for a few more nights and see if you can narrow down how long he can hold it! My daughter never really woke up for her late night trip either, we'd just stick her on the toilet and hold her up so she didn't fall off, but she would use it. The booster pad sounds like a good idea and also put down something in the bedding to make that easier for you. I'd really recommend cutting off liquids after 8 rather than sips. Also another thing to keep in mind, limit liquids to just water after 3 pm other than regular milk with dinner. Juices, sugary drinks/sodas, chocolate milk and hot chocolate can all act as a diuretic.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
Definitely keep at it for a few more nights and see if you can narrow down how long he can hold it! My daughter never really woke up for her late night trip either, we'd just stick her on the toilet and hold her up so she didn't fall off, but she would use it. The booster pad sounds like a good idea and also put down something in the bedding to make that easier for you. I'd really recommend cutting off liquids after 8 rather than sips. Also another thing to keep in mind, limit liquids to just water after 3 pm other than regular milk with dinner. Juices, sugary drinks/sodas, chocolate milk and hot chocolate can all act as a diuretic.
That’s my plan. Well actually for a week. I don’t work this week so I’m hoping for a positive outcome before next week.

And yea he was crying when I tried to wake him up. I don’t think he ever really woke up either. Just carried him to bathroom and had to do everything for him. It was quite a pain in the rear honestly but will be worth it if this works.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 PM

It's an absolute pain, but definitely worth trying for a week and you'll have better metrics to discuss with your pediatrician if it doesn't work out and a better plan on how to try again. Hopefully you all will be able to find something that works this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting